Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: MRC as a rock racer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default MRC as a rock racer?

I was wondering if anyone has attempted to gain some speed out of a MRC to create a mini type rock racer. I have been trying to research this and found nothing. I've been trying stuff with no luck. The tranny has such a large gear reduction that even with super fast motors and 3s lipos it just sounds like it is going to explode while only hitting about 6mph.
Does the mini t have a different geared tranny? I've heard the internals swap over.
Does the axial AX10 tranny fit in a MRC pro chassis with a 370 sized motor? Looks like it might be to tall.
Just wanted to see if there was anything anyone has tried. I'm going to check out the scaled section and see what is going on with MRC there.
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
I joined the Band!

Man I was wanting to do the same thing. I was looking at the Losi Mini SCT tranny, cause it is all steal gears..not sure if all the insides would fit in the crawler tranny cause it is a different housing. Also the outputs are different. Yeah I would love to be able to pop some jumps without the low gear reduction in the tranny sounding like they were going to pop. Plus I am sure thats why the faster motors like the slider motor gets hot...cause of the low tranny gearing. looking for a sct part out as we speak....
skullking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'm so glad to get some interest in this. Looks like there are only a handful of guys that even like the MRC. And of those guys I think most are content with it being a comp crawler. I just want something a little different also. I may need to look at a different platform, but something like a mini Wraith/honcho would kick ass.
From what I can see the stock MRC tranny has a 7.5ish gear reduction. The axles are around 2.75. It appears the SCX10 is something like 2.5 tranny and a 2.5 axle. That would be why the Axial is capable of so much more speed. I know a huge factor here is that a 540 can pull massive torque without the gear reduction and a 370-280 just isn't going to cut it in the torque for slow speed crawling at the minimal gear reduction.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

I think the axle gearing would be fine. Just need a open diff tranny gearing higher.....maybe. I like the MRC cause parts are cheap and the rig is fun in more places... I think. I used to have a RTR sold it. but just got a Pro Roller and I am going to order another...plus got another in a trade. Gonna keep these around awhile. As soon as I can get a hold of a Losi MSCT tranny that wil be my starting point....I hate bolting things right up anyway
Old 07-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i like the concept. if memory serves me right i saw something bout putting a mini erevo tranny inplace of the mrc tranny. i dont remember where i saw it though... i think they used a l trail chassis though. im not sure, i have a mini erevo and mrc parts, i might give it a try, but i need to get a mrc screw set
krono7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-7304-1-1...item1c1d0bd1df

Yep just ordered one. For the price could not pass it up...Gonna try to make something work. I just traded my Mini Summit and had a Ken Block (sold it) and was like Damn.... maybe that tranny would work. I am sure it is gonna take some time to get it mounted up correctly seeing how the bottom is rounded. But the out put shafts are the key and they will work....
Old 07-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

man, really making me wanna go rip some sh1t apart... lol
Old 07-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krono7s View Post
man, really making me wanna go rip some sh1t apart... lol

Hell yeah Personally I think it will work just need a custom skid with risers or some kind of spacers for the 2 Tranny Mounting Holes....
Old 07-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

it might just happen bro
Old 07-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

My next confusion is chassis.?? I'm thinking edge chassis for the buggy/ racer appeal... and yep, thanks to u guys, I will start another project. Lol. I will definatly post some pics on tranny mounting that I come up with
Old 07-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Damn I'm glad I posted something about this. That mini traxxas tranny isn't to expensive. I may have to give it a try also.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #12
RCC Addict

i made the move, its awesome!!! running a holmes hobbies 22T motor, it hauls!

Personally, i didnt do anything really, just used a GC-3 chassis, and didnt lower it.. hehe....
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCCRAWLER1.9 View Post
i made the move, its awesome!!! running a holmes hobbies 22T motor, it hauls!

Personally, i didnt do anything really, just used a GC-3 chassis, and didnt lower it.. hehe....
What move is that? Traxxas tranny?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotatrucks83 View Post
What move is that? Traxxas tranny?
move to a rock racer

im using the stock MRC tranny, it holds up to abuse from my testing, but im guessing the internals are close to wearing out.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:25 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

How fast can it go? My mongoose system on 3s tops out at 6mph. Seems fast on the rocks, but get it in the open and it still looks like it is crawling.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #16
RCC Addict

hmm, i cant say, but im guessing 7mph?
Old 07-12-2011, 12:55 AM   #17

my mini pro is pretty quick and fun with the side winder micro and cm-20 4200kv motor and 11t pinion on 7.4v still has decent low end and brisk walking pace full throttle.
Dark Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:55 AM   #18
I joined the Band!

Well if I and we can get the Traxxas Mini Tranny mounted up...maybe ol skool lay down like the rustler tranny, the 380 titan should be more than fast for these axles. As soon as I get the tranny and a chassis mocked up I will post pics.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Can't wait to see what you come up with skullking.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #20
I joined the Band!

Since we have a select few interested. Can anyone verify if a 370 motor like a venom fireball or a regular 280 will bolt up to the Traxxas Mini's Tranny. need to find out If I need to get a Traxxas 380. I already have a Venom on the way. Basicly are the mounting holes the same or similar between the 2 size motors?