RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Losi Mini-Rock Crawler (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-mini-rock-crawler/)
-   -   GC3 question (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-mini-rock-crawler/327792-gc3-question.html)

minicrawler1 07-24-2011 12:22 AM

GC3 question

Hey guys,
after browsing this forum alot,i dediced to purchase a MRC.
Orderd my GC3 chassis as well,but am wondering if it would benefit from getting the bent links as well?
And what aftermarket shocks should i be getting?

Thanks!!

Slaughter 07-24-2011 01:14 AM

The MRC Pro is a better deal if you can get it for less than $100 US in your country. The GC3 is a great chassis though. It was designed to use the Vendetta shocks. Bent links in the rear are a common upgrade, but if you didn't get a MRC Pro, you need a few things before bent links.

minicrawler1 07-24-2011 01:28 AM

I didn't get the pro.
What do i need before the bent links?

Thanks

Slaughter 07-24-2011 01:43 AM

There are a lot of threads here explaining, but you will probably blow out the servo and lockers first, depending on what terrain you are driving on.

minicrawler1 07-24-2011 02:26 AM

it wont be the toughest terrain!
Are the HR bent links any good?

minicrawler1 07-24-2011 01:51 PM

If i go for the Vendetta shocks,do i need to order 4 rear shocks?

Thanks

whillinwillys 07-24-2011 03:17 PM

I have a gc3 and vendetta shocks I love my little guy it works awesome. I think that the shocks are the rears I had losi shocks on mine first then went to the vendettas thy work way better and don't leak oil.

Getrag 07-24-2011 08:52 PM

Absolute first thing to do is get new tires. Don't even consider using the stock ones they are garbage and don't stick to s#@*

Either get the Hot Body Rovers, or you can usually pick up a pair of the MRC pro tires (they look very similar to the ones you have, same tread pattern, but don't let that fool you. The MRC pro ones are SO much better. And the rovers, even a bit better than those in my opinion.

Nova's Ark 07-25-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minicrawler1 (Post 3200164)
Are the HR bent links any good?

I didn't think so. I bought a used mini that had some on it. I was planning to make delrin bent links for the GC3 specifically, but I have been so busy with other projects that has not happened yet.

The Duratrax Vendetta shocks are the best shock to run on the GC3. I think they are some of the best mini size shocks available actually.

The Hot Bodies Red Dot Rovers are going to be the best affordable tires. I offer a combo of tires and C.I. foams for them on my web site if you decide to go that route.

DickyT 07-25-2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova's Ark (Post 3201785)
The Hot Bodies Red Dot Rovers are going to be the best affordable tires. I offer a combo of tires and C.I. foams for them on my web site if you decide to go that route.

I use the C.I. rover and foam combo on my gc3 and love it "thumbsup" Soft foams up front, mediums in the rear. Also look into the front overdrive mod amongst all the other mods to do.

minicrawler1 07-25-2011 12:28 PM

Nova,i might take you up on that offer!!!

Dicky,can you explain the overdrive mod to me please?

Thanks

DickyT 07-25-2011 12:40 PM

You replace the front diffs pinion gear with the pinion gear from traxxas part # 7079.

Direct bolt on and will sound a little crunchy as it breaks in, but works great!

you will get better climbing and steering with the overdrive mod.

minicrawler1 07-25-2011 01:27 PM

Thanks for the tip!!
It seems i have a lot of work ahead of me with this one!!

What i wanted to ask as well,is why turn the tranny?
Seems alot of you guys do that?

Getrag 07-25-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minicrawler1 (Post 3202141)
Thanks for the tip!!
It seems i have a lot of work ahead of me with this one!!

What i wanted to ask as well,is why turn the tranny?
Seems alot of you guys do that?

mostly just to make room for batteries / electronics up front

minicrawler1 08-08-2011 12:18 AM

Got some parts for my MRC,but i am still undecided about the bent lower links,Either the Losi ones or Hot racing?
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Slaughter 08-08-2011 07:06 AM

Don't think it really matters. As long as they are bent. I would just do the rear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by minicrawler1 (Post 3222179)
Got some parts for my MRC,but i am still undecided about the bent lower links,Either the Losi ones or Hot racing?
Any suggestions?

Thanks

dkur 08-08-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Getrag (Post 3201299)
Absolute first thing to do is get new tires. Don't even consider using the stock ones they are garbage and don't stick to s#@*

Either get the Hot Body Rovers, or you can usually pick up a pair of the MRC pro tires (they look very similar to the ones you have, same tread pattern, but don't let that fool you. The MRC pro ones are SO much better. And the rovers, even a bit better than those in my opinion.

Oh man are you so right there! The stock tires don't work worth a hoot. You can tell the junk rock claws from the good rock claws this way: The junk rock claws have nothing imprinted on the sidewalls. The Good rock claws have "Rock Claws" imprinted on the sidewall. I switched on my MRC and it made a world of difference. Above that is to sell the MRC and go with the MRC Pro. I have one of those also and it crawls heads above the stock mini crawler. I run Rovers on my MRC Pro and really like them. "thumbsup"
Go with bent links on the rear only. Like mentioned, I don't think it matters which brand. Definitely don't forget to put the steel lockers in the diffs.

minicrawler1 08-08-2011 11:28 AM

I might make the bent links myself,but do they have to be longer than the stock ones?My guess is yes?
Can anyone provide me with some measurements without the rod ends?

Thanks

Slaughter 08-08-2011 02:35 PM

Stock are 60 and my bent links are 63 without ends, so 3mm makes up the difference for the bend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by minicrawler1 (Post 3222618)
I might make the bent links myself,but do they have to be longer than the stock ones?My guess is yes?

Thanks

Charlie-III 08-10-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minicrawler1 (Post 3222618)

Thanks

Center to center on the rod ends are the same, the length of the material to make the links is longer. How much longer depends on how much bend you put in.