Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Spur just spins...ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Spur just spins...ideas?

So I took off my spur to swap it in for a smaller one, like Rubbaneck's rig. I put the slipper back together and tightened it all the way down. If I turn the wheels by hand, the drivetrain works fine. As soon as I give it any throttle, the spur just spins like the slipper is wide open. I put my original spur back on and it does the same thing.

It's not like this is a sophisticated slipper system. Two plastic pieces, two washers and a nut.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Recheck the installation. Defer to the manual if needed.
gdhknives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The manual just had a parts explosion. I fixed it using a smaller pinion. The mini-t pinions have a beveled edge which makes it a little harder to see the mesh and it was apparently too tight. Crisis averted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhknives View Post
Recheck the installation. Defer to the manual if needed.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Did you put the pin back in that goes through the shaft?
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Yeah. It worked fine when turning the tires by hand. That slipper is just two pieces of plastic using friction against the spur and because my mesh was too tight, it would spin the spur between those plastic plates. It was just barely too tight, but enough to overpower the friction of the slipper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFGcrawler418 View Post
Did you put the pin back in that goes through the shaft?
Old 08-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Are you sure the pin didnt just fall out?

Also, the material on the actual slipping part, may have worn out.
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

The pin was fine, I fixed it by changing my mesh. The material can't wear out, it's just plastic, not like a traditional slipper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCCRAWLER1.9 View Post
Are you sure the pin didnt just fall out?

Also, the material on the actual slipping part, may have worn out.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
The pin was fine, I fixed it by changing my mesh. The material can't wear out, it's just plastic, not like a traditional slipper.
Yes it can wear out. I know its not a traditional slipper, but over time, if you let the slipper run all the time, the friction will rub off some material. I needed to change my spur, because i let the slipper run loose for a long time.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

It would be extremely tough to wear it out. It's just plastic on plastic and as it wears, tightening the nut will add the needed pressure. If you are going to actually use the slipper then you should probably upgrade to the mini-t upgraded slipper for $15.

Quote:
Yes it can wear out. I know its not a traditional slipper, but over time, if you let the slipper run all the time, the friction will rub off some material. I needed to change my spur, because i let the slipper run loose for a long time.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
It would be extremely tough to wear it out. It's just plastic on plastic and as it wears, tightening the nut will add the needed pressure. If you are going to actually use the slipper then you should probably upgrade to the mini-t upgraded slipper for $15.
all i said was that your spur and slipper could have worn out the plastic, which is causing excessive slipping, to help resolve your issue. I never asked for help. I just was saying that a worn spur, could be your issue.

Sure it would be hard to wear out, but it happened to me. Yes, tightening of the nut will be needed to add more pressure, but you will still go through and wear down the material.

Not to mention, these rigs get dirty, so any amount of debris get caught in between the slipping mechanism, will help aid damage, and wear the plastic.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Hey I wasn't trying to offened you by offering advise. I assume since you let it run loose you were using the slipper and I don't think its well known that you can use the mini-t slipper. I should have mentioned my truck is brand new.

Quote:
all i said was that your spur and slipper could have worn out the plastic, which is causing excessive slipping, to help resolve your issue. I never asked for help. I just was saying that a worn spur, could be your issue.

Sure it would be hard to wear out, but it happened to me. Yes, tightening of the nut will be needed to add more pressure, but you will still go through and wear down the material.

Not to mention, these rigs get dirty, so any amount of debris get caught in between the slipping mechanism, will help aid damage, and wear the plastic.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Hey I wasn't trying to offened you by offering advise. I assume since you let it run loose you were using the slipper and I don't think its well known that you can use the mini-t slipper. I should have mentioned my truck is brand new.
huh? i know you werent trying to offend me, i was getting confused if you needed help or not.

Hmm, thats strange.. now you mention its new.. its it the RTR mini?
if so, your lockers are plastic, and are probably damaged, causing it to slip under load. another possibility are the tranny gears, they are also plastic, and one of them could be missing a tooth.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I did need help initially, but fixed it by my 3rd post. Its a new Pro that I setup like Rubbaneck's championship rig, minus his wheels, Still waiting on some used Vanquish wheels to be available.

Quote:
huh? i know you werent trying to offend me, i was getting confused if you needed help or not.

Hmm, thats strange.. now you mention its new.. its it the RTR mini?
if so, your lockers are plastic, and are probably damaged, causing it to slip under load. another possibility are the tranny gears, they are also plastic, and one of them could be missing a tooth.