Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: BWD Low Profile Mini Wedge Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default BWD Low Profile Mini Wedge Build

I was going to switch my boy's MRC Pro over to my old BWD Wedge setup. I emailed Don at BWD to see about some new pieces to make it a fresh build for him. I was looking to get a new skid and links,when Don asks if I would like a pair of updated side plates,uppers,and 4 link/servo plates. I said sure and how about the new link mounts while we'e at it too. and so the build begins.

I started out by tearing down the MRC Pro,and saving the only parts usable for the build.
Attached Images

BuckImod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Then I dug up some upgrades

Hot Racing Metal Gears
BWD Motor Plate and spacer
Losi Mini Late Model Aluminum Shocks
Losi Aluminum Wheel Hexes
Hot Racing C's
Team Brood 16t Anarchy Motor.
MIP Drive shafts
Overdrive Mod
etc

I think this is going to be a bit much for a 5year old,but we'll see how he handles it.I still have a new stock MRC Pro on a Darksoul chassis that he can have to bash around with.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

then the box of goodies came in from Don. The chassis has 2 delrin trays mounte for the purpose of mounting electronics. This is going to be a big help in mounting the electronics compared to the old Wedge setup. They are a little hard to see in the pics.
Attached Images

Last edited by BuckImod; 08-27-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I mounted up the front shock and link mounts. I shaved the factory mounts off. They fit extremely well,but I am in need of some new Knuckles. I was trying to use an old pair of modified 3racing one.However the arm hits the new mount and slightly limits the steering. Looks like I can Clearance it with the Dremel,but I would rather go with different knuckles. I am looking for either a pair of Felsensfest or RC Bros.
Attached Images

Last edited by BuckImod; 08-27-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

ClassicGMJunky came over last nite and we tinkered around and got it to a roller as a mock up. The rear link mounts do not fit the MRC Pro plastic lockouts, so I just put it together with the stock rear mounts. The chassis really articulates well with the short shocks. we took some comparison shots of it to his Wedge with the DUB Topper. The short shock setup flexes as well if not slightly better then the stock shock set up.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Looks killer bucki. What tires are you running also?
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I got my second wind around 12:30 and decide to work on links placement. I changed my rear upper links to the axial fish hook rodends on the chassis side and lowered them a hole.The suspension cycles smoothly with no binding at all.The front link mounts pushes the axle forward slightly,so I used the short Axial rodends on the lower links. I am at 8 1/2" fully compressed. I took some pics of the chassis,and moverd the rx to the 2 different trays to show the mounting options.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikingcrawler View Post
Looks killer bucki. What tires are you running also?
Thanks Cali!..The tires are from Crawler Innovations. I'm not exactly sure what tread they are,but they are a short course tire with Flat Iron Sidewalls. I haven't ran yet,but looking forward to trying them out soon.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
RCC Addict

So will this thing have a topper of is this all wrapped up. Regardless it looks flat awesome. I will hopefully see Don's tonight. I see changes coming my way.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

those are Hot Bodies MegaGrid ... I saw these on sale on RPP site and thought they might be a good hybrid tire..

http://www.hotbodiesonline.com/products/en/67943.html
ClassicGMJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
So will this thing have a topper of is this all wrapped up. Regardless it looks flat awesome. I will hopefully see Don's tonight. I see changes coming my way.
I haven't decided yet. I was originally planning on putting my boys Lightning McQueen bug boddy back on it. Also the MRC Pro Grappler body fits snug on this setup.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
RCC Addict

i thought I saw how don was producing a weightless/bodiless topper for it.

I will see tonight I hope!!

RickM
Old 08-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the fast upload of your build thread - it looks great ! Cannot wait to see how it finishes up and looking forward to some pics or video of it in action.

Are the motor/skip plate and lower links the same as the original wedge?

Don, nice work - again.
neiloid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiloid1 View Post
Thanks for the fast upload of your build thread - it looks great ! Cannot wait to see how it finishes up and looking forward to some pics or video of it in action.

Are the motor/skip plate and lower links the same as the original wedge?

Don, nice work - again.
Thanks!,and yes,the skid and lowers are the same.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
i thought I saw how don was producing a weightless/bodiless topper for it.

I will see tonight I hope!!

RickM
Cool,if you can get some spy shots and post it up here. Then tell Don to go ahead and ship one my way!
Old 08-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
i thought I saw how don was producing a weightless/bodiless topper for it. RickM
Now I'm confused: It looks to me like the cab is designed into the chassis side plates. I assumed that the chassis met the rule requirements as is except for making some Lexan panels for the top, hood, and sides. Am I missing something? If you go sticking a body or a separate topper on it, it's no longer low profile.
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabash View Post
Now I'm confused: It looks to me like the cab is designed into the chassis side plates. I assumed that the chassis met the rule requirements as is except for making some Lexan panels for the top, hood, and sides. Am I missing something? If you go sticking a body or a separate topper on it, it's no longer low profile.
I am waiting to see what Don comes up with. I too originally thought the cab was part of the chasssis as it sits now.I'm now completely sure about the rules as to whether or not it would be legal. The chassis is low pro compared to the old wedge.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

The "Low Pro" refers to the chassis itself, which is shown. The rules state a bodiless rig has to be 3.25" and 2.5" wide tall which is way larger than this chassis. This chassis by itelf yeilds itself better for guys who run bodies (since it's so much shorter than the regular mini Wedge), and for bodiless guys we have a bodiless "Dub" cab designed specifically around the new Low Pro base being unveiled in the next few days.
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

it looked like you could add two cross braces and lexan the roof, looked like a jones'n frogger kinda. maybe all it needs to be legal is to add something for width and cover it all up...
ClassicGMJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I sure do like the word unveil!