Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: A few questions for you MRC guys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default A few questions for you MRC guys

Well I went to the LHS and saw a the roller on sale for $65 so I figured I try one out. I got a castle sidewinder micro and and a 1500kv brushless outrunner. My questions are how durable are these axles/ring pinion. I had a MLST2 and it mash thru gears just by looking at it. I am lookin at running 2cell lipo and proline 1.9 flatirons and problable build an aluminum ladder chassis integrated into the carbon fiber frame with a stampede chevy or tamiya bronco/cruiser body. The outrunner looks to be about 280-300 size and takes standard pinions. I put a 13t on it and mounted it up. It seemed to have far more more torque than I had anticipated and wheel speed was around 55turn crawler speeds, which is what i was going for with this build. Havent ran it long enough to see if this set up is a keeper. My main concern is the durability of the rig. How would you expect the above parts to work long term, primarily the larger 1.9 tires and heavier body?

Last edited by rocresq; 08-30-2011 at 10:31 PM.
rocresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
dnf

Its hit amd miss,I have beat on mine,as much if not more than most.....

overall I would say the stock ring and pinion with the syeel lockers can take some serious abuse.

The platic transmission gears will likely be your weak link,and possible a cvd on the front from time to time.

The alum gears will beef it up,butthere is still a brass idler gear to,I have never broke one,but I always have an extra cuz I know it wil happen eventually.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The steel locker is the losi one right? I dont think the comp version includes it. Once the tranny gears and lockers have been replaced they hold up ok? Has any one run a traxxas 1/16revo tranny with good results. lastly what tires-battery-motor do you run? Thanks for the info
Old 08-30-2011, 11:12 PM   #4
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocresq View Post
The steel locker is the losi one right? I dont think the comp version includes it. Once the tranny gears and lockers have been replaced they hold up ok? Has any one run a traxxas 1/16revo tranny with good results. lastly what tires-battery-motor do you run? Thanks for the info
The losi pro has steel lockers in the diffs and the trans,and metal ring and pinion gears.But the trans gears are plastic.

Mounting to chassis,and getting to motor with mini slash trans sux,I tried.
A good motor for you is a mongoos crawler motor,get em for under 100 used all the time.

And the tires you have are great,the battery you need a smal mah 2c lipo

The 45c 325mah thunder power is awesome.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Cool , thanks for the help. I am suprised to find out the lockers were the steel ones. Didn't know that. I figured the 1.9 flat irons would be a killer since they're so much bigger then the claws, hopefully not. If the outrunner holds up I think it will be the way to go no cogging and seemed pretty torquey. Running a 15c 800mah 2 cell, less punch=less stress on parts
Old 08-31-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Default Update

well I put the electronics in the roller with 1.9 flatirons for a trial run. 40minutes later no breakage including my 8yr old son crawling around the yard. I think I will keep it around. It will be good for me to drive while the kids follow around with the 2.2 scalers.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:52 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I'm glad you enjoy it. I put mine through a beating and even bought a second one just to have around as spares.

The Ring and pinion has been plenty for me Alum gears for the tranny are on the wishlist.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote