Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: New MRC Pro - Need servo advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New MRC Pro - Need servo advice

Hey all...I know this has been asked before (in this thread - Which Servo would you pick? - to be exact), but didn't find my answer there..

I'm new to the whole 'comp crawler' realm, and wanna build my MRC as a comp crawler (1.9 most likely), and looking for a decent servo - using the stock mounting setup.

So I guess I'm looking for the best micro/mini servo

thanks!!
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

you can use a standard servo on it, hi-tec 645 works good for the price
thomass14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
RCC Addict

x2 on the 645. I've got a few mrc all with them and they have been working fine.
fvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
dnf

nothing wrong with a 645
I have also used stock rtr servo's off axial kits with great success.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks...I was wondering what most guys are using

I'm considering this route (now that I've got an idea of the size) - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tal-Gear-Servo - Savox SC0252MG... a couple bucks more then the Hitech, but I've been having a lot of luck with the savox servos in my TCs

anyone else try one of these?
Old 09-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock hard View Post
nothing wrong with a 645
I have also used stock rtr servo's off axial kits with great success.

that would work IF I had an RTR servo sitting around...I think I gotta see what kind of Hitec's I got sitting around...I think I got some hitec digital over powering 8th scale buggy servo sitting around - might actually be cheap and go that route
Old 09-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
WAM
Rock Crawler

I'm making the same decision for a new MRC Pro. The width between the servo mounts is 36.5mm. The servos you guys are looking at have case widths in the 40-41mm range. I know there are aftermarket plates to allow larger servos, but then I assume you lose the RF axle-top as an option for the battery? Or can you fit a full size servo on the axle and still fit a battery next to it?

I'm not anxious to find another place for the battery. This thing ain't exactly roomy inside.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM View Post
I'm making the same decision for a new MRC Pro. The width between the servo mounts is 36.5mm. The servos you guys are looking at have case widths in the 40-41mm range. I know there are aftermarket plates to allow larger servos, but then I assume you lose the RF axle-top as an option for the battery? Or can you fit a full size servo on the axle and still fit a battery next to it?

I'm not anxious to find another place for the battery. This thing ain't exactly roomy inside.
The stock Pro mount will accomodate a full size servo by moving one vertical mount to the next hole. The problem is that you will only be able to use the two bottom holes on the servo when you attach it to the servo mount. The links are included with the crawler.

I went with a slightly different route. The upper links are attached to the servo plate so you have to consider that. My fix was to get a second servo plate set and cut the lip off the rear one to use as the upper link attachment, then I bought a full size alloy servo mount and sandwiched the rear mount between the alloy plate and the axle. I used Axial servo mounts to attach the servo.

I always place the battery on the upper links in front. So I use either a 2S or 3S 800mah pack velcroed to a lexan piece wire tied to the links. I installed the ESC on another lexan piece over the rear upper links.

Last edited by AreCee; 09-19-2011 at 12:38 PM.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #9
WAM
Rock Crawler

Thanks AreCee. I can see how that would all work. But plan A is to keep battery and servo on the axle. I realize you can move the center post, but then you loose battery space. This servo is a little pricey, but smaller than the big boys: SPMSA6030

Then I want to see if the Thunder Power G6 325mah will fit next to it. It's gonna be close. From the pic's, it looked like Rubbaneck was using that servo with the Losi cube lipo on his championship winning rig.

Edit -- found I could fit both the Losi cube lipo and the full size servo on the axle. Just barely. Unfortunately the cube lipo is discontinued so I only have the one. Haven't found anything else that will fit on the axle with a big servo.

Last edited by WAM; 10-10-2011 at 09:39 AM.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote