RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Losi Mini-Rock Crawler (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-mini-rock-crawler/)
-   -   Losi locker/plastic gear Vs. HR metal gear (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-mini-rock-crawler/338379-losi-locker-plastic-gear-vs-hr-metal-gear.html)

Illeagle 09-22-2011 12:06 AM

Losi locker/plastic gear Vs. HR metal gear

So I have decided I might dive into the world of mini's and as I was building the trans I needed some opinions from guys who have run BOTH the losi locker with a plastic gear and also ran the Hot Racing metal gear. I have them both and the HR gear weights in at 4grams vs the losi setup at 10grams so obviously it would be nice to save the 6grams but are the gears poorly made like alot of HR stuff is? Have you used the HR and worn it out? Does the plastic gear with the losi locker strip out? Any info on pro's and con's would be great. "thumbsup"

ClassicGMJunkie 09-22-2011 07:06 AM

I messed with a hot motor and stripped new losi plastic trans gears in under 20 seconds. installed HRs, everything is good. it eliminated the weakest link in the driveline.

JeremyH 09-22-2011 07:13 AM

The trans spool will last longer than their diff lockers, but they will eventually wallow out right at the output. My last one held on for just a little under a year.

RickM 09-22-2011 08:10 AM

I found that the smaller losi plastic tranny gear was a joke. Switched to the HR and quickly rounded out the locker on it. I am now running the locker and plastic gear from losi and the hr smaller tranny gear with great success.

Illeagle 09-22-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickM (Post 3291158)
I found that the smaller losi plastic tranny gear was a joke. Switched to the HR and quickly rounded out the locker on it. I am now running the locker and plastic gear from losi and the hr smaller tranny gear with great success.

thats seems to be the general consensus I was just worried that the BIG losi plastic gear would get shredded against the small HR metal gear. I would like to run the big HR gear also but I can see it rounding out pretty fast if its soft metal. Thanks for the reply.

sickpuppy1 09-22-2011 05:36 PM

I wish someone beside HR made those gears, like Robinson. Granted HR is better than plastic, but I have little faith in their metals...

dstrbd1 01-12-2012 02:35 AM

Re: Losi locker/plastic gear Vs. HR metal gear

Mini HH motor on 3s wiped all my plastic gears and driveshafts out real quick. All Metal now"thumbsup" Oh and back to 2s.:ror:

Robotboy 01-12-2012 05:58 AM

I've never had a problem with my mini HR gears.
No wear on the trans gears after a year, I just cleaned & lubed 'em.
There was a little wear on the HR spur so that was replaced.

dstrbd1 01-12-2012 06:16 AM

Just realized the dates. Leave it to me to pull a thread back from the depths:roll:.

ClassicGMJunkie 01-12-2012 07:14 AM

I have alll HR metal gears but I hate the locker for the trans output. seems like the stock metal on the plastic gear was much better. might have to hybridize... the HR's are sloppy, regardless what axle is used. with this driveline slop, the other mounting points like to work loose, kinda like the effect of an electric impact on a fastener. it shocks it loose. gotta keep checking them after each run.