Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: another Tire Question thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default another Tire Question thread

Well... Mostly I am looking for your guys thoughts or opinions. Right now I am running a set of "Cut and shut" Panther cobras. They are close to the same size as the stock tires just a bit wider. I do like them a lot. The rocks I crawl on in Ohio tend to be more like boulder piles. The cobras all most seam to run a bit small. They get wedged in rocks to easily. I am looking to run a larger tire. Here is what I am going towards, 1.9 Flat Iron "Cut" due to cost. The new Mickey Thompson Claws or a set of 4" Rovers.

Here is my thoughts on the tires. The Flat irons come in at 4.20" They are pretty big on a mini. The Claws come in at 4.75". That sounds HUGE to me. The 4" rovers are most likely my #1 pick BUT, it will be 2x or more $$$ to build them. I am stuck on what route to go. I was hoping you guys could help me decide. What are your thoughts? Thanks
Airbornejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
5th D Owner/Driver

I would go with the 4" Rovers. They dont get stuck in the holes as much as the standard Rovers on rip-rap. On mono rock I think the standard Rovers work better. Depending on what type of rock we crawl on the 4" tires definately help. Dont go for anything over 4" as it will make the car to top heavy and will not side hill as well.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the Advice, Any one else?
So, The 4" rovers are worth the extra $$
Airbornejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

I've made a few sets of tires both in 1.9 & 2.2 & the only way to know whether or not they'll work for you, your rig & the terrain you run on is to do it. It CAN get costly but in my opinion...well worth it. My newest 1.9's are the pins I made & ran at Nats & I had NO idea if they'd work or not but ended up being killer. I had some severe foam failure but the tires are badass.

I have a couple of sets of 4" Rovers & they've worked well in every spot I've run em. Anything OVER 4" is too much on a mini. Just give em a try. I doubt you'll be bummed.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
dnf

I had some cut cougars that was just over 4" and loved them,went to the stock rover and never could get used to the hight.

however,a stock rover,on bad wheels with nova foams...put the rover at 3 7/8"
and I really like the setup.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote