Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: problem with downhill control with novak mongoose

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default problem with downhill control with novak mongoose

i have the novak mongoose crawler system (brushless)

works great on flat and up hill very smooth and lots of punch on a 2c lipo

now when you need to go down something good luck on doing it smoothly
i have tryed reading/changing the settings but so far have had no luck on getting a nice smooth down hill..my rig wants to flip forward on me if i an not very careful....as soon as i start down any sort of a grade the thing speeds up and gets very jerky when i let up on the throttle....
samaruki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
dnf

ok,when I ran a mongoose,here a few things I remember doing to help with this.

dial in your radio!
dial down the throttle...and play with your expo to find something you like.
This helped more than anything other 1 thing.

Now,if you have a stock radio.....get a sektrum 3r as soon as budget allows.

also,drop a couple of teeth on the pinion,this helps torque and control on down hills aswell.

also,you can place shims between the hex pin and the lockout....what this does,is when you tighten your wheel down,it places pressure on the lockout.
so it keeps the truck stationary,problem is it robs you of wheel speed.'but you will at least have some down hil control.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Everything rock hard said, but also check your drag brake setting. The mongoose doesn't have the greatest drag brake, but maxed out, it still holds enough to keep the truck from building any speed downhill.
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

thanks for the info, i have a 4pk radio and a futaba 3c receiver

i have been working with my triger finger to try to get as smooth as i can on down hills....

i will try setting the drag brake to max and check out the expo on my 4pk...

thanks again for the replays
Old 09-26-2011, 07:36 AM   #5
rtc

I have this problem too. I haven't yet had time to play with the different settings on the esc.
Please post here if you find a good solution.

To me it seems like the drag brake is strong enough, but its too "on-off". Downhills would be easier to control if the drag brake could let go more gradually.
rtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

that is right-on with the trouble i am having...i have tryed evey setting that the esc and my 4pk radio with no change in this...

at the next comp i am going to check with everyone that is useing these if they have any tricks...

it is sad to have to dump the mongoose system becouse of this but if this starts to be a problem at comps i will be going brushed....

if i discover and tricks on this i will post them up....
Old 09-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

i had smoothness issues going downhill, was not from the motor... after tearing it apart, my front bearings were gritty and junked. replaced, all is good. no more front flips !
ClassicGMJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #8
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaruki View Post
that is right-on with the trouble i am having...i have tryed evey setting that the esc and my 4pk radio with no change in this...

at the next comp i am going to check with everyone that is useing these if they have any tricks...

it is sad to have to dump the mongoose system becouse of this but if this starts to be a problem at comps i will be going brushed....

if i discover and tricks on this i will post them up....

The inconsistant brake was the one think that I really didint like about the mongoose.The low torque is something I just got used to,but when your going down hill at a gate,you have to wonder,is it gonna hold when I let off,or roll?

The best think for this was the shim,placing a shim between the hex pin and that outer bearing on the lockoout.

Then just make sure its not to tight,or you can actually lock the axle down.
Only real problem is you need to check your wheel after/before each course.
You only have to do it on one wheel,but that one wheel "in my case" would always want to work loose if I didint check it often.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Showing his Class Paul "Rockhard" has not said what I am going to say. I had the goose system myself and just did not like it. I think Brushless is hard for a crawler in general but in a 1.9 it is just hard to dial in. My personal suggestion is that you can tweek and tune to get it where you want but to get the absolute best performance you will be better served to get a Sidewinder micro and one of Pauls Motors. That is what I am running and I could not be happier. Low end control is almost to good and my truck will do a front flip on downhills if I let off the trigger to fast.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGMJunkie View Post
i had smoothness issues going downhill, was not from the motor... after tearing it apart, my front bearings were gritty and junked. replaced, all is good. no more front flips !
that was a good thing to check, i disconnected each axel and checked the transmission and all run smooth as glass... thanks for the idea...
Old 09-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Showing his Class Paul "Rockhard" has not said what I am going to say. .
i do belive you are right-on about Paul..and what Paul mentioned about the shimms is probable the best way to help with this..the only thing it kind of defeats "other then this being a package setup and good $$" the reason to try a brussless setup..i will loose some of the wheel speed and need to check the wheels all the time...

oh well i will just have to deal with it for now...unless someon knows some magic tricks that they want to share....
Old 09-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Have you tried the braking expo? Should make braking curve a little softer which might help.

Quote:
i do belive you are right-on about Paul..and what Paul mentioned about the shimms is probable the best way to help with this..the only thing it kind of defeats "other then this being a package setup and good $$" the reason to try a brussless setup..i will loose some of the wheel speed and need to check the wheels all the time...

oh well i will just have to deal with it for now...unless someon knows some magic tricks that they want to share....
Old 09-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

was the braking expo on the esc or on the 4pk radio??
Old 09-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Your radio.

Quote:
was the braking expo on the esc or on the 4pk radio??
Old 09-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #15
dnf

yeah,dialing in the radio is something alot of guys overlook,I know I did for a while.

The stock radio you cant,but with a quality radio you have alot of tuning.

for example one trick I use,I drive my 3r at 75% throttle,if I have a course with a launch..I'll dial the throttle to 150% for that gate,I simply have the menu on the thrttle page when I start crawling!

Expo is really nice,dial in the feel you want for your throttle.
I dialled in my expo on a steep climb,then check how it feels going down,and the check how it feels....find a happy median.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:18 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

ya paul i used a compo of EXPO and TH-TM on my 4pk to get a little better control on downgrade moves.....not what i would realy like but better then it was before....just need to practice a lot to get a good feal of this....