Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Shock rod end problem.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Shock rod end problem.

I keep pulling the shock end off,put 2 New ones on it so far and have stripped both of them.
Anyone make metal ones that small?
Any other fixes?
diggindeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Try putting new ones on and a small drop of ca.
I've had to do that before, holds up pretty good.
Not to hard to get off if need be.
Robotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:37 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Ok, so just use it like thread locker?

I'm running out of spares. Another trip to my lhs.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:00 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I've had the exact same problem since day 1 of owning a MRC.

In over 1 years of ownership i have not once used all my batteries, every drive finishes at the point i get tired of reattaching the shock ends.

I've tried new ends, threadlock, superglue, araldite, adjusting the shock positions, limiting the shock travel with tubing, pretty much everything.

But it still finishes each drive.

I've searched and searched for alloy rod ends but have only been able to find 3mm ones.
So i then searched for shock with 3mm shafts that will fit the MRC, all i found were to large diameter and caused binding.

I then searched for 3mm shafts the correct length so i could drill out the stock shocks to accommodate them, but again no luck.

The only thing i've found is 2mm alloy shock ends made for the Losi 8ight/8ight-T by a company called Fioroni.

These are monumentally expensive though and i really would hate to throw more at this pos
Fioroni Team Losi 8ight/8ight-T Aluminum Shock End Set (4) [FIO-OT-UR325] | RC Cars & Trucks - A Main Hobbies
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Yeah,seems a little high to me.

I think I might try some limiting straps,gonna do some fiddling.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Funny how you are the second guy with this problem I have talked to lately. Is it possible that a slightly to big run of rod ends went out from Losi. I have never had this issue myself.

That being said would it be worth looking at getting some new rod ends just for kicks. I might even suggest always replacing old ones with new ones each time. Second do you think shock angle or lean might have something to do with it? My shocks are leaned in pretty far on a wedge chassis with the shock body upside down.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

My shocks are tubing limited too,run a mini juice chassis here is a picture of my shock angle. I really think a limiting strap is gonna be the answer, or at least mine.
Is it always the left rear or is that just mine?Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1319556653170.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  58.2 KB
Old 10-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I notice something. My shocks came with the same ends but I think I am now running mini t ends by accident and mine have never popped loose. Saying that watch what happens at the next comp.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
I notice something. My shocks came with the same ends but I think I am now running mini t ends by accident and mine have never popped loose. Saying that watch what happens at the next comp.
Mini-T ends are the same as MRC ends.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I cant believe you guys are having such trouble with these ends. I have pulled them occasionally, but certainly not every run and only after beating on the truck pretty hard. I too just add some CA to the threads before attaching the rod end. After it strips the first time, you need to replace the rod end.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I cant believe you guys are having such trouble with these ends. I have pulled them occasionally, but certainly not every run and only after beating on the truck pretty hard. I too just add some CA to the threads before attaching the rod end. After it strips the first time, you need to replace the rod end.
I'm with JeremyH on this one, I drive mine like I stole it, and have only had 2 pull out. Not that bad, IMO. Maybe I'm just lucky........................
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I had one pull apart on the first run of my MRC Pro. Put it back together and it pulled apart on the very next run. This was right out of the box.
klimb2xs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #13

Just so I know what to look for as I'm running my MRC, the shock rod is pulling out of the ball end? Or is the loop breaking? And this happens because the shocks are extending fully and pulling the axle up rather than pushing down?
ieatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Ive had the same issue. So i bought the bwd mini wedge since i was there and bwd bomb proof shock mounts. Found some 80mm rc4wd dual rate scale shocks at my hobby shop as well. Same length and the stock mrc springs fit perfect and the shock shaft is beefy. Now ive got a full alumminum shock with 3mm ball ends at each end. Ive ran mine for a few days now and im so glad i did these mods. Usually the shocks pull the threads or break the tabs off the housing in no time at all. I tried all different shock angles, limiting and adjusting and could never get it to stay together. Some of us are just unlucky. But now this little guy is getting to be strong as possible. Now if only someone would make a aftermarket axle housing...
KingGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:39 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

If it pulls out, make sure you clean the threads up (old plastic in the threads will not help it grip the rod end).
Then add a drop of CA superglue as suggested.
Mine were bomb proof after that, only one ever cam e out - after a nasty tumble that landed upside down hanging from one tyre off a rock! - the rod end was allow to let go then!
Gfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatfish View Post
Just so I know what to look for as I'm running my MRC, the shock rod is pulling out of the ball end? Or is the loop breaking? And this happens because the shocks are extending fully and pulling the axle up rather than pushing down?
They are talking about when the piston shaft pulls out of the plastic on the rod end....at the threads.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I really don't think I was being that hard on it.
I made some prototype limiting straps and like them,so far anyway. Will see how they do.
Will make some better ones if I like the way they work.Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1319576564970.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  69.9 KB
Old 10-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Man. Those chains just scream "hang up" at comps for some odd reason. I like the idea of working out this rod end issue for you my friend. Although good job thinking outside the box.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:59 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Yeah,gonna make something a little cleaner.
Thought about a bungee from one to the other to keep them from getting slack.