Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: HG645MG Servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #1

Default HG645MG Servo

I've seen this servo mentioned a few times around the board for a decent budget MG servo. Well, I just happened to have one in my toolbox and would like to get it mounted on my MRC. Questions:

1) Mounting. I mounted it decent enough with one screw and some zipties but I was looking at this mounting plate by RCBros. Anyone have any experience with it?

2) The splines are different between the HG645MG and the servo saver. I've seen people run a straight linkage without the servo saver. Are there any drawbacks to that since the servo has metal gears? Is there a servo saver that is recommended for use in this situation?

3) Yes, I've seen the BEC thread where YOU NEED A BEC is spammed all over. What I didn't see was any reason (i.e. current draw, etc.) besides some people saying yes and others no. Do I need one for recreational crawling with the HG645MG?

Thanks for any suggestions!

note: I posted the same thread a bit ago and it got held for moderation. I still haven't seen it but if it shows up at some point, I guess it can be deleted.
ieatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

You really want to 4 link your MRC and that plate doesn't allow it. No need to run a servo saver on a crawler with a decent servo. The 645 has plenty of power. You may or may not need a BEC. What are your plans for your Pro? Couch crawling, backyard bashing, comps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatfish View Post
I've seen this servo mentioned a few times around the board for a decent budget MG servo. Well, I just happened to have one in my toolbox and would like to get it mounted on my MRC. Questions:

1) Mounting. I mounted it decent enough with one screw and some zipties but I was looking at this mounting plate by RCBros. Anyone have any experience with it?

2) The splines are different between the HG645MG and the servo saver. I've seen people run a straight linkage without the servo saver. Are there any drawbacks to that since the servo has metal gears? Is there a servo saver that is recommended for use in this situation?

3) Yes, I've seen the BEC thread where YOU NEED A BEC is spammed all over. What I didn't see was any reason (i.e. current draw, etc.) besides some people saying yes and others no. Do I need one for recreational crawling with the HG645MG?

Thanks for any suggestions!

note: I posted the same thread a bit ago and it got held for moderation. I still haven't seen it but if it shows up at some point, I guess it can be deleted.
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
You really want to 4 link your MRC and that plate doesn't allow it. No need to run a servo saver on a crawler with a decent servo. The 645 has plenty of power. You may or may not need a BEC. What are your plans for your Pro? Couch crawling, backyard bashing, comps?
I just plan on couch crawling and backyard crawling. I have plenty of other RCs for bashing so this will be a dedicated crawler.

Are there any easy 'kits' for four-linking the MRC or are they all hack jobs?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Basically any chassis kit will provide you with what you need. The GC3 is cheap and will provide you everything you need. There are other kits, so check those out as well.

Quote:
I just plan on couch crawling and backyard crawling. I have plenty of other RCs for bashing so this will be a dedicated crawler.

Are there any easy 'kits' for four-linking the MRC or are they all hack jobs?
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Rcbros makes a 4 link servo mount and I just made my own links. I run a bec but if you wire the servo right to the battery I have heard you don't need one. Hope this helps
98sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:31 PM   #6

Does the MRC Pro need modifications to have a full sized servo installed?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #7
WAM
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Does the MRC Pro need modifications to have a full sized servo installed?
You have the Pro? Then why asking about 4-linking? It comes 4-linked.

The Pro servo plate has two holes for one of the towers so you can just move it over to fit the std servo.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM View Post
You have the Pro? Then why asking about 4-linking? It comes 4-linked.

The Pro servo plate has two holes for one of the towers so you can just move it over to fit the std servo.
I don't have one. I was advised in another thread to pick one up since most of the modifications I planned to do to my MRC are already included in the MRC Pro. Last night, I ordered an MRC Pro so I guess you could say I have the Pro...now. :p
Old 10-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #9
WAM
Rock Crawler

Good call if you got one of the last cheap ones. They're all but gone now.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM View Post
Good call if you got one of the last cheap ones. They're all but gone now.
Yeah, it was a little bit more than some places but the free shipping made up for it. I figure I will transfer over whatever I need from my current MRC and then sell the roller or parts.