Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Soldering Issues need some advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Soldering Issues need some advice

Im trying to solder some Deans Unltras on a lipo problem Im having is Seems that the solder isnt sticking to the gold deans ends Just rolls off.
Am I using the wrong solder? Does it have to be Flux Core based or whatever?
Also soldering a Deads male plug to a battery charger lead for my thunder ac6.

Havent solder before so having my dad do it for me while i watch and learn. Yeah its a little bad being 32 years old having to have my pops solder $hit for me. lol.
WestTxRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

im using a Chicage soldering iron from harbor freight, around 120 degrees. Only one i had and its new so figure use that. Using the solder it came with so not sure if thats the problem on why it isnt sticking? Yes the connections were tinned but still just rolls off the gold deans.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Biggest favor you can do for yourself is to get a quality iron. I usually solder around 800*.
slowngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I use a hako and thin solder. Flows easily in my opinion. Quality iron will be the best thing to get.
kmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

what about flux solder is that what i should be using?

Plan to get another iron, hopes to use this one for this one time so can use my losi scb i bought (Thanks CrawlHOG) Love it!
Old 11-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Oh and its not 120 Degrees its 1120 degrees is what heats to.
Went and tried again after watching some youtube videos and still solder just rolls off the deans. Waiting on some different solder to get here. Heard to use 63-37 watching one of the soldering write-ups on you tube that this was the best TECH GRADE to use.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

im fairly new to soldering too but im pretty sure 1120 is too hot. ive had the best luck between 700-800. also i would stick with rosin core solder.
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I got rosin flux solder on way be here in few minutes.
The irons not adjustable either wish it was.
I think its to hot also.
I scuffed the deans up with a drimel hope that helps it adhere to the plug and not roll off it. Been rreading and it says some place do and some dont to scuff the plug up before soldering thats why i tried that. Maybe this new rosin flux will work since i scuffed up the ends let yall know in a few.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
RCC Addict

You might want to do some searching on youtube for soldering tips. This is what I have had to do with deans.
1. Scuff the tabs of the plug.
2. Put a fair amount of flux on it. I use plumbing flux as it tend to have a lower burn off point.
3. Tin up the solder on the iron well. (make sure you are using plumbing solder as well)
4. Stick the solder on the tab and be quick about it. You want the solder to fall off slide off the top of your iron almost without heating up the tab to much.
5. Tin the wire lead also and dip them both in flux again.
6. Tin the soldering tip again and then touch the tab and wire lead together and hit it with a quick dab from your iron. This should pass along the tined solder on the tip to you joint.

I have found it works best for me to keep as much heat at the tip of my iron and less if possible on my joints.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #10
RCC Addict

In my experience I would say 2 things you need some different flux.. Or it's getting to hott..I wouldn't say really it's too hot cause I think the plug would melt.. Also if your flux is left in the cold and freezes it'll make it hard to solder with ... The safety silver kit that has the little bottle of liquid flux.. I've been using that and it works great.. You can get it at rpp I think maybe ckrc

J-bird
j-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #11
Yashua

Definately need rosin core solder and a 60/40 type with around a .032 dia. Works real well, and when your iron is hot hit it with a little solder to tin it before you start as well as tin the parts you'll be soldering. Apply heat to both parts while touching the joint with new solder and it should flow smooth, remove heat and hold joint for 3 to 5 seconds to harden. The joint should be shinny when done . Good luck, practice makes perfect.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Ok got the lipos soldered. Went back to harbor freight and had to buy a Pencil Iron. The other iron i bought melted the tip of the soldering iron. Guess 1100 degrees will do that. Anyhow with the pencil iron was a breeze. HAD to scuff the deans up with a drimel that kept the solder from running off like it was before. Not sure how many times I read to put the heat shrink on FIRST and I was like what idiot would forget that. Well this idiot did and had to re-do it so PUT IT ON FIRST.

Thanks for all the tips I used all of them.
What i love about this forum is dont have to wait long before someone answers your questions like some forums. Thanks to everyone for yall's help.