Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: its time! full on BWD mini mantis.. test, tune an crawl!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #21
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Default Re: its time! full on BWD mini mantis.. test, tune an crawl!

Nice start Troy. I think the Candy Cane is in good hands.

Even tho I didn't post an actual build thread on it...I DID test & tune the OG chassis that Don gave me at Nats last year & you'll wanna flatten those front shocks out & either run em droop or internally limit em. Shes not very limber & sidehills are going to be a menace until you break that delrin in...A LOT!!!

Also...try running the rear links reversed. I never got around to trying it but held the links up to it & it LOOKED like it may lower her down. I actually ran a bent MRC link in the rear. I just didn't like that rig being that lofty. At least not while she was still so stiff.

Im glad you got the extras I threw in & are doing her justice. You should have NO prob beating on the black one if its still setup the way it was built.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #22
E.Y. Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted4lyf View Post
How bout a swift kick in the ass? Left footed, since I'm right that would make it a one of a kind kick in the ass.
Dang it... I was hoping for something with a little more Flare to it

BTW Troy who's making the Beadlock rings? You or Don? Or someone else?
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Ya the stock rovers are cute... I have the rovers at my tire guys house an shipping the flat irons soon, so I can get another sweet set of 4.25" rovers made.. he does one hell of a job! Don't believe me, read his Sig area..
Your tire guy sounds pretty cool.. and from what I hear he isnt too shabby at glueing tires either.. but he better get on it! As long as he finds that 5th rover to do the enlargement.. you should be set
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Looks Bada$$
Mudeater67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:32 AM   #25
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Hey Troy...keep a set of stock mini Rovs on hand. Most of us have stopped makin a taller mini tire because the overall trade off wasn't the best. More cons than pros. With this chassis...you're not gonna gain any useable amount of GC & its only gonna raise your COG that much more.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well I do have to say that chassis just looks ALOT better with those modlocks. Side profile of that damn thing reminds me of a sparrow or some sort of bird.

Edit* it's the damn Ducks Unlimited logo!

Lmao! I like that.. ducks unlimited.. it does it does!

I also agree, a left footed kick in the ass would do him good.. as I'm sure it was jd that gets credit on the sale of the modlocks.. Ev did pm me bout them, I still wasn't sure I wanted them tho at that point, then jd pm'd me an boosted to get it all wrapped up..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
Nice start Troy. I think the Candy Cane is in good hands.

Even tho I didn't post an actual build thread on it...I DID test & tune the OG chassis that Don gave me at Nats last year & you'll wanna flatten those front shocks out & either run em droop or internally limit em. Shes not very limber & sidehills are going to be a menace until you break that delrin in...A LOT!!!

Also...try running the rear links reversed. I never got around to trying it but held the links up to it & it LOOKED like it may lower her down. I actually ran a bent MRC link in the rear. I just didn't like that rig being that lofty. At least not while she was still so stiff.

Im glad you got the extras I threw in & are doing her justice. You should have NO prob beating on the black one if its still setup the way it was built.

J.D.
The mini mantis is in good hands! I don't think it will look like a candy cane once its done, too much black in the red CF..

I'll take a look at the rear links, I also thought bout using some bent aluminium links till I get my shock an link mounts. For wheel base...

I may Switch to the OG chassis once I test this one. It has a lot more flex then my mini juice as is..
I doubt ill have any problem beating the black one, I don't think he changed anything on it

Tires.. I will be keeping the rovers stock that are on it now.. ill test both. As this chassis has a bit more clearance to start with. I only have maybe .5" of clearance on the belly of the mini juice chassis from the pumkin height...

Last edited by winnerone23; 11-21-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #28
E.Y. Designs

Damn you should send me the OG one... And there is a difference between the two of them.. I don't remember what it was but the new one supposedly performs quite a bit better... And I'd have to say the new one preforms really really well... But IDK how the old one performs...
Old 11-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Ev, ill be making all the cf parts on the mini.. once I'm done with a set of beadlock rings for some slw's...

Yep, got two chassis...

No, you can't have one, well, you could send me 1000$ for it... Lmao! And even then I doubt it.. as you stated, its priceless, and its Mine!

Last edited by winnerone23; 11-21-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #30
E.Y. Designs

But you have two.... And you can't run both at the same time.... Unless you put one on your other MRC... And also I'm sure Don wouldn't mind having another tester

Oh I found this yesterday when I was working in our RC place....

Old 11-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Damn kid, one gimmie gimmie might be funny, but every other post is a little much.
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Damn kid, one gimmie gimmie might be funny, but every other post is a little much.
Thank you! Agreed.....

Try to be funny an get the point across, guess it didn't work..
Old 11-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Got a couple things done.. drive shafts on an flipped the rear lowers..

Had a aluminium ax-10 battery/chassis support laying around, so I did a quick moch up to keep the wheels from flopping around.. its pretty smooth, really..

Some, too much, flex shots.. prolly be a little diff once stuff is added..

There's more flex in the rear torsion of this then in the shocks on most rigs.... Again, may act diff under power..
Old 11-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Lookin good man.. Seems like a solid rig so far.

Oh btw... Can you send me one of the chassis..???
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

This look awesome
k20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #36
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Nice can koozie

Yeah...Ive tried to let Ev know to take it down a notch or 10 before. Hes a good kid. Just excited about crawlin. Just needs to know when to hang back a little is all.

There ARE differences between the 2...the biggest being the thickness of the ribs in the spine. New versions much thinner but the OG chassis has a couple dozen packs thru her so shes gonna be looser in the pooper fo sho.

J.D.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
Nice can koozie

There ARE differences between the 2...the biggest being the thickness of the ribs in the spine. New versions much thinner but the OG chassis has a couple dozen packs thru her so shes gonna be looser in the pooper fo sho.

J.D.
Yeah, I like it! Nick sent that too me, I believe... I tried turning it, as this is a Bwd chassis build..

Lmao! Looser in the pooper.. Haha, ur too much..

I don't know that its looser then the updated one, but I like a stiffer rear an it seems loose.. ill have to swap my mongoose system in to get some crawling in with it.

Ordered shock/link mounts from Don today.. so ill be able to get my wheel base right. Hope to have electronics in by the time they get here.. then some fun can really get started..
Old 11-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #38
E.Y. Designs

Ya sorry bout that... I guess I got a little bit excited about this build...

The new one seemed to flex very well for a mini torsion. One thing was the cab broke after a few packs but Don replaced with new stronger cab. I'm guessing yours has the thin cab on it.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #39
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettY View Post
Ya sorry bout that... I guess I got a little bit excited about this build...

The new one seemed to flex very well for a mini torsion. One thing was the cab broke after a few packs but Don replaced with new stronger cab. I'm guessing yours has the thin cab on it.
Like I told ya before...you just gotta know when to dial it back some dude. You're a young buck so we'll let ya slide. You dont wanna get a rep here for being annoying.

Hes actually got 2 cabs. He WILL need another skid & some hardware to get the OG chassis into a runner but Im sure Don can help him out with that one.

I like the links reversed. It flattened her out a little. Like I said...in Vegas when I built the OG in my hotel room about 6 hours before Nats...I had to add a LOT of weight to get her workin good enough to put on course. I just didn't have the time to tune her to actually compete tho. She was pretty unpredictable but that'll be the case ANYTIME you try something COMPLETELY new & different untested at a comp like that.

I DO think with enough time...she can be a fun rig. Its hard to compete with a 4 link setup since they work so well but Im interested to see how far you can take her.

J.D.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Now you got it! LOL.. ill be taking it all the way to the podium! 4 link rigs.. phhh...

The links flipped, just ride the chassis closer, visually flattened out the ride height.. it left the drive shaft out in the open..

I may be possibly go to a gtg Sat, after that I'm goin to drop in my mongoose system.. till then I'm goin to get the servo on, some skins done, maybe my lcc mod front axle for the time being..

I did find that I either have to stretch the front end with longer links or switch out the servo mount for a diff one. The nose of the cab hits, almost rests on the back 1/8th" of the servo, as is..
I'll get some updates soon.. with pics

Tags
baby mantis, bwd, mantis, modlocks, pro, rovers, wicked cricket

its time! full on BWD mini mantis.. test, tune an crawl! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scale run and comp test and tune Sunday the 19th at mini moab Sheepdawg23wm Arizona 41 08-22-2012 09:18 PM
Mini Moab test & tune..Sunday Sept 18 CRAWLER-DAD Arizona 26 09-20-2011 03:49 PM
3 BWD mini test vids scatterbrains Videos! 2 08-02-2010 07:41 PM