Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: its time! full on BWD mini mantis.. test, tune an crawl!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: its time! full on BWD mini mantis.. test, tune an crawl!

Got a few pics of the rear torsion.. at rest..

Some flex..

A lot of flex...

One from the side.. just cause it looks so good!

Hope its what ur looking to see fishbait? I'll get more if not..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #82

i get it and that is a nice buggy thanks for showing me how it work
fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #83
Rock Stacker

holy shat Troy i just realized that it didnt have shocks on tha back!! that is pimp $hit there!!! lookin good.. as for ur old mini wedge... well dont worry bout that lil guy, hes already runnin and getting dialed in now! bangin my head against tha wall tryin to find detailed info on the LCC conversion,, bout to cut the front axle up off of my xr I just knew that thing would come in handy one day!! ill shoot ya pics in a lil wile! keep up tha good work!
lowlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

No problem fish bait, that's hopefully what this builds all bout... Ppl getting interested in this chassis an see if there is any interest in it, as a production chassis maybe?... Or maybe just cause I got lucky..

How do ya miss something like that Casey! The Lcc mod is as easy as mounting the Lcc chubs an knuckles an cutting the Lcc cvd's down to length.. or go the cheater way an put Lcc stub shafts on the cvd axle shaft from the losi mrc cvd's...

Oh, don't waste a front xr axle housing.. its the rear axle housing you want to cut up..
Old 12-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Got a few electronics to pick from

Cc bec, novak bec @ 6v, Spektrum 2ch or 3ch, de cased fx-r..

I got them all placed where I think I want them.. as for the bec, I went with the cc bec.. I don't like how one side, the motor side sticks out, then the other side is flat.. so I'll make the body panels around the bec to look like the motor side.. an why not be able to use all of the 7950 if I'm goin to have it on there.. Waahahahahaha....

The fx-r in on the tranny, above the rear drive shaft.. I cut the posts down an notched them for wires..

Here you can see the bec doesn't stick out farther then the motor an how tucked in an protected the fx-r is in there..

And the rx on the front links..

Once I cut an solder all the wires, she will be clean an nicely packed..

Any thoughts on better placement? I'm still not sure of the battery placement.. have an idea, just have to test it out when I start running it..
Old 12-06-2012, 03:53 AM   #86

That rig is looking sweet, I sued to run a DNA SSS torsion chassis on my AX10, i love the way they crawl. something about the torsion make them seem so smooth. great work cant wait to see it finished and on the rocks.
darkangelv24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Thanks, its getting there.. they do run smooth, my friend has a 2.2 Bwd mantis, its great. I also had a mantis style delrin 2.2, tho I didn't run it much. I love there look an feel, I'm stoked to get er on the rocks!
Old 12-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Wires, wires an less wires!

Started with servo wires an rx placement..

Then on to the fx-r.. used a fresh rx plug from Chris the battery man.. wish I Had more of them, they are much easier then soldering..

The cap fits nicely in the area of the tranny, behind the fx-r.

Bec is wired in with the cap.. the motor wires are all hooked up as well..

The shortened the Bec wires to the rx..

All in but the battery plug wires.. still in sure of battery placement at this time.. running out of room is easy, even with all the great placement an small electronics..
It will either mount on the side with the Bec or on top the tranny, for now.. final placement will come later with the xr/wraith steering mod..

More to come..
Old 12-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Got to drive it around the work shop.. the battery fits in the side window.. for now..

I found a weak spot or two in the 5 mins I got to run it... Haha, I'm good at that!

7950 does work! LOL...

I wasn't liking how far the chubs where clocked anyways..

I'll get it fixed an out on the rocks tomm. I'll get pics an maybe a short video.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #90
E.Y. Designs

So now you ready to do the XR10 mod? LOL Looking great!
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettY View Post
So now you ready to do the XR10 mod? LOL Looking great!
After a little testing tomm on the rocks, then ill get on it.. I can see the front axle needing the extra beef with the 7950 on there... I'm guessing its a little over kill at the 6.9v's the Bec is set at.. not that that's a problem I can see..
Old 12-09-2012, 12:48 AM   #92
ahhh S^*T

wow Troy, you have a damn good eye for clean lines and cutting that CF. not everyone can do that with a dremel. you see some of the stuff round here?

this little mrc rocks!! very nice! I really need a set of those wheels too.
oh and busted axles, heh. des-TROY...??
in the house

keep it up!
AxialJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Thanks, thanks, an thanks Ryan!
The CF turned out great! Now I think ill get some thin lexan to add a layer off the roof, I'm not in any hurry to scratch it all up!

The Bwd modlocks are a sweet look for any rig, there lite, thin at only .5" wide, an strong! I wasn't sure bout the foam support on the inside, but sure worked out surprisingly well today crawling around the rocks at the house.

Haha, des-Troy.. it will be Troy-built to keep it reliable an running strong!

On with it.. got out on the rocks for a couple 300mah 2s packs..
So far in "stock" form, no weight, no wheel wideners, crawls awesome for straight off the work bench!

The right amount of flex, I would like to even it out, a little less up front, make the torsion really work. Climbs good, could use a ud or od, mainly a tighter front end would do..

Found the lift point for the rear, tho it stayed planted with no problems. The torsion is very smooth an forgiving. It doesn't get funky or push back, very predictable so far.

Also found a wicked little side crawl that surprised me, after I get my rcbros servo mount ill gave my mini juice out an run the same lines an get a good comparison... The torsion holds solid on this crawl..

Had a couple roll overs, even side ways, it wants to rite itself easily. The servo guard took the rocks well, with minor rock rash showing after a number of roll overs..

I came in to put some weight on the rear, decided to hang lights to surprise the wife am it started raining.. again! So ill get some video up as soon as mother nature allows..
Old 12-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #94
E.Y. Designs

LOL gotta hate that... I was going to run my mini last week one more time before tearing it down to sit for a couple months and than I waited to long and the rain came right as I was walking out the door Oh well... But anyways it's looking great! You should really try it either droop or with some soft springs... For it being torsion the mediums are too firm IMO for it...
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #95
Quarry Creeper

how are your side plates doing to be mounted? and I would try to get battery one the side like the bec. just an idea not sure if it will work for you. rig looks good, would like to see a vid of this thing in action.
thomass14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Well Everett.. ur imo, doesn't amount to much... Haha..

Actually, the springs are a little soft with the shocks laid down like that, but smooth! The shocks are also limited like 11mm at that, its plenty of travel. This rig articulates double of what my mini juice does, an just stays planted!

I do have something coming you will like tho Everett.. ill get pics..

Thomas, the side panels will be mounted to the bottom skid screws an top cab to the chassis screws.. the battery is only temp placed there.. I Don have a final resting plact for it yet.. it just happen to fit there so nicely an offset the weight of the motor, so for testing, its perfect, for now..

Video will be coming.. I wanted to do some today but..... Everything was wet an I was having way too much fun watching it work! Even with the semi wet rocks from the last couple days worth of rain, it just crawled great.. ill get some video for sure..

Last edited by winnerone23; 12-09-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

I want to see the torsion do more work an loosen up just a touch more, thru weight on the an goin to add some to the front an maybe tighten up my front shock collar, it will allow it to twist up more thru the rear.. just a thought.. will be doin a lot of things for testing that may not be helpful or may end up bein helpful.. I have all winter..

So I went with Everett's idea of "the easy way" for now just to test out function.. I Had a open hole on the bwd shock/link mount, instead of fabbing a weight holder.. this is what I got..

Didn't get to run it then as The rain came back an is still here.. I guess a half dozen rock in the basement is my next step..
As I have been working with CF an will be putting a line of CF parts out, I would test some weight holders for my wraith knuckles that will be goin on this little beauty.. not so bad for the first one.. lol

I work with what I have.. needs refined yet. Another order placed with dragonplate!
Old 12-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

This little thing looks awsome out on the rocks.. As said before you are a very lucky man to get to run this beauty..

Weight holder is looking great!!!
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Glad to see this baby up and running, very nice job with it so far.
Anxious to see what else you do.
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys..

Lots more things to come papa.. prolly all winter worth of changes.. already thinking of CF insted of red? There too nice to scratch.. Haha

Tags
baby mantis, bwd, mantis, modlocks, pro, rovers, wicked cricket

its time! full on BWD mini mantis.. test, tune an crawl! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scale run and comp test and tune Sunday the 19th at mini moab Sheepdawg23wm Arizona 41 08-22-2012 09:18 PM
Mini Moab test & tune..Sunday Sept 18 CRAWLER-DAD Arizona 26 09-20-2011 03:49 PM
3 BWD mini test vids scatterbrains Videos! 2 08-02-2010 07:41 PM