Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Dravpnir tries to build something small

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
DravTech

Default Dravpnir tries to build something small

When my pal BilB told me that he was getting a MRC I got a bit curoius of these small machines. Then just a few days later a suitable candidate turned up at the sales part of a Swedish RC forum it was tempting, but I choose to let it pass. Then when the seller lowered the price I could not resist it. And I cannot leave poor BliB driving all alone next season, right....?

So $85 poorer but an MRC Pro richer

What got me really interested was that the previous owner had modded the MRC with VP C-hubs, VP Wraith knuckles and axial universals at the front. Otherwise it is more or less a MRC Pro with the overdrive mod.

The mod was not perhaps so good executed so I have some clean up work to do and the front is too wide at the moment so I have to do something about that too. Also, as I seem to not be able to leave things in their original state, this one will be quite heavily modded too

First thing up is some new wheels. I made some discs when I made some parts in the lathe for my coming sporty and my lightweight Berg. I will put these disc in the mill and finish them. I am planning on making the hex and hub as a part of the outer wheel disc. Thats why there are a thicker area in bottom row of discs. The flat disc on the upper row will become the backside rings.
Dravpnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Oh man, Hell of a deal! Not to mention the chubs and knuckles alone are worth the price to play...

I did the mod to mine and it easily has to be the Best mod possible for these little guys, hands down.

Can't wait to follow along with the mods
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Dont wanna talk s**t about ppl but this might be one of the reasons the price was right

But if someone gonna make that work it's Dravpnir!
BliB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

For the price of a mrc housing and xr or wraith housing.. ill take it that way for that price! lol

Last edited by winnerone23; 12-21-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Yeah the parts that's on it makes it worth!

Hopefully both Dravpnir an i get finished so i can continue with the indoor crawling stop in my basement
Old 12-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
DravTech

Default Re: Dravpnir tries to build something small

Quote:
Originally Posted by BliB View Post
Hopefully both Dravpnir an i get finished so i can continue with the indoor crawling stop in my basement
I am getting there, but it goes a bit slowly at the moment

I finished the wheel that was shown in a semi finished condition in the pictures above. The hex is a part of the outer wheel face.

But when I made the wheels I forgot that the wraith knuckles are so big so I cannot use the wheels for the front axle... Perhaps I will use them for the rear, but most likely they will end up in "parts bin"

Then I have also experimented with using a Mini Revo transmission for the MRC. My big plan was to use that transmission and one of my spare Cobalt 454 Pullers. But I couldn't make it work like I wanted. So that plan is on ice for now. Perhaps I will make a better transmission case for the Mini Revo gears later on (or Berg gears), but right now I have more other projects I want to continue with instead so I will stick with the original transmission.

The front axle has been cleaned up and shortened, so now the front width sits at slightly below 8".

And I have also ordered that heli 380 motor with neo magnets. I hope it is as good as people say

Last edited by Dravpnir; 12-30-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Lookin good so far! Too bad about the wheels. BTW, you won't be disappointed in the Xtreme motor. I have one for my build for the coming season, and my daughter's Exceed Maxstone is rocking one. I haven't got a whole lot of drive time with it, but it's punchy, smooth, and precise all in one as far as I can tell. Faster than my Novak setup, with none of the downfalls of brushless.
89redranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Saaweeet!

Just a couple things that will help with max, smooth, steering..

At minimum, shave them ears for anything past 50-55°...

The brass "top hats" should be between the chub an knuckle, so the flat disc should act as a washer between the 2..

On to the wheels, which are sick looking and a great idea!
I found the same thing with my wheels, I ended up flipping my face, cause the hex are built into the face, that way I could run them. They are only half inch wide at that, which I have found to be the perfect width wheel for the mrc.
Maybe you could make ur front wheels a 3 piece wheel or cut ur spacers down to make ur wheels narrow enough to use them the way you made them to work?
Old 01-01-2014, 10:21 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

On the wheelsproblem, one could buy the xr10 alu knuckles from HR or any of the other brands, cutting the integrated steeringarms should allow the use of them sweet a** wheels!
Old 01-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I didn't see this coming. Glad you got I'm the mini game. Looking forward to the progress.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #11
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Lookin good so far! Too bad about the wheels. BTW, you won't be disappointed in the Xtreme motor. I have one for my build for the coming season, and my daughter's Exceed Maxstone is rocking one. I haven't got a whole lot of drive time with it, but it's punchy, smooth, and precise all in one as far as I can tell. Faster than my Novak setup, with none of the downfalls of brushless.
Sounds good
I received the motor a couple of days ago. I haven't tested it yet though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BliB View Post
On the wheelsproblem, one could buy the xr10 alu knuckles from HR or any of the other brands, cutting the integrated steeringarms should allow the use of them sweet a** wheels!
That is perhaps one way to solve it. But I am quite happy with the nice VP stuff so I think I will keep that

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
I didn't see this coming. Glad you got I'm the mini game. Looking forward to the progress.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Saaweeet!

Just a couple things that will help with max, smooth, steering..

At minimum, shave them ears for anything past 50-55°...

The brass "top hats" should be between the chub an knuckle, so the flat disc should act as a washer between the 2..

On to the wheels, which are sick looking and a great idea!
I found the same thing with my wheels, I ended up flipping my face, cause the hex are built into the face, that way I could run them. They are only half inch wide at that, which I have found to be the perfect width wheel for the mrc.
Maybe you could make ur front wheels a 3 piece wheel or cut ur spacers down to make ur wheels narrow enough to use them the way you made them to work?
Yes, shaving the universals will be done. I have been working with the steering a couple of days and got a nice OTA working solution now. Work begins tomorrow after the Christmas holiday and then I can get hold of my titanium I accidentally left at work.

The "top hats" has to be that way I am afraid. I cannot put them on the right why because then the knuckle will not fit... I guess the previous owner didn't have the right bushings or something. I will see if I can find some better ones.

Flipping the wheel sides will make the front to wide. Perhaps the 3-piece idea will work, but I got to many ideas to make atm (and too little time), and got a bit tired of the wheels when they didn't work out. So I think I will leave them alone until inspiration strucks again.

Right now I am working on a new chassis for the mini. Barry from ClassiCutCustoms was so kind and let me have a drawing of his 2.2 pro Pitbull chassi that I now have modified to suit the MRC (I hope...).
I hope I get the time to make a first prototype out of delrin this week. When I happy with it I will send the drawing back to Barry so he can cut a CF version of it

Last edited by Dravpnir; 01-06-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:31 PM   #12
DravTech

What is this?

After stealing the spacers and skid from my 2.2Pro comp Berg it looks a bit better

It looks even better if I also borrow the panels from my Berg

Test mounted the transmission, also showing off the new motor
It is a bit to tight in there, but luckily there is material I can easily remove to get that extra clearence that I need. Also my calculations was a bit off so I have to use two lower plates with the cut out for the transmission, or increase the with with 2 mm. Cannot decide which way to go yet...

Old 01-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Cab looks the same size as 2.2! Lol..
Looks pretty sweet!

Last edited by winnerone23; 01-09-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #14
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Can looks the same size as 2.2! Lol..
Looks pretty sweet!
Thanks!

The cab is actually the same as on Barry's 2.2Pro Pitbull Chassis. I have only modified the lower plates for ex the transmission, shorter length, different shock positions etc...
Old 01-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

I will be keeping an eye on this one! Just bought my first mini a few weeks ago from ittybitty and I have had more fun with it lately than my berg. Surprised the 1.9 class is loosing interest, can't figure out why? Keep up the good work!
buggy0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I am waiting for you to take the berg approach to the pumpkin of these axles and get a much smaller axle tube out of it.

RickM
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I have a set of housings I've cut the stock tubes off of, thinking of going that route^. Funny you bring that up. With 4 bolts, the stock center section would be removable if you built a truss to hold the tubes together. The truss could act as the servo/upper link mount as well. Somebody needs to do it already!
Old 01-08-2014, 11:35 PM   #18
Fifth dimension

Ill be running the same motor this season. I picked up 2 of " a more popular" motor and watched them crash n burn at comps this past season. It is big Troy but in hoping it fits right and gives the smooth throttle response you know I wine about in 2.2
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:55 PM   #19
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
I am waiting for you to take the berg approach to the pumpkin of these axles and get a much smaller axle tube out of it.

RickM
Hopefully you do not have to wait all too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawllife View Post
Ill be running the same motor this season. I picked up 2 of " a more popular" motor and watched them crash n burn at comps this past season. It is big Troy but in hoping it fits right and gives the smooth throttle response you know I wine about in 2.2
Who's Troy and fits where? Perhaps the coffee hasn't kicked in yet
Old 01-09-2014, 12:41 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravpnir View Post
Hopefully you do not have to wait all too long
^Come on man, you can't say things like that without details...I'm almost waiting on my front axle build to see what happens in the next few months. I know something's gotta give somewhere, and hoping it's before this coming season. The further I get with my new rig, the more I wanna comp it. A bitchin' new front axle may just push me into traveling to do so.

Dravpnir tries to build something small - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dravpnir tries to build something even lighter Dravpnir EnRoute Berg 88 08-03-2014 02:58 PM
Dravpnir tries to build something light Dravpnir EnRoute Berg 125 04-23-2014 06:01 AM
small build irollgen4s Axial Wraith 1 12-05-2011 08:49 PM
Anyone build a small lathe? colonel Tools, and Procedures 16 01-17-2010 05:52 PM