Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Shock options? (or M3 ball for stock shock cap?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Shock options? (or M3 ball for stock shock cap?)

Hey all, i am looking to go m3 throughout my truck, anybody have any shock options? or even ends for the stock shocks that would allow m3 hardware? most importantly in the shock cap side, i have some pocket balls for the bottom side which work fine, but nothing for the cap side.

Last edited by T3rry; 01-06-2014 at 09:41 AM.
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
E.Y. Designs

Default Re: Shock options? (or M3 ball for stock shock cap?)

Why not try some SCX10 shocks that are shortened... Same Diameter as the MRC and you can still use the MRC Springs on them... DR Frank did it on one of his MRC's... Here's a link for you...

Dr.Frank's MRC Pro Take IV
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettY View Post
Why not try some SCX10 shocks that are shortened... Same Diameter as the MRC and you can still use the MRC Springs on them... DR Frank did it on one of his MRC's... Here's a link for you...

Dr.Frank's MRC Pro Take IV
i actually have a few of those i already cut the body down on and was talking to a guy in our club about having them shortened and rethread, they just dont seem very smooth, not sure if they'd be an upgrade or downgrade, they are old, old scx10 plastic shocks, might see if i can get a set of the newer aluminum ones
Old 01-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

From what i've read here on rcc, the machined piston makes big difference, also, i just baught the scx shocks for my pro rig, they came with non TIN coated shafts.
BliB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rry View Post
i actually have a few of those i already cut the body down on and was talking to a guy in our club about having them shortened and rethread, they just dont seem very smooth, not sure if they'd be an upgrade or downgrade, they are old, old scx10 plastic shocks, might see if i can get a set of the newer aluminum ones
They were built wrong then! If the scx shocks aren't very smooth....

The stock piston comes on a part tree. If the plastic piece that attaches the piston to the parts tree, isn't cleaned off the piston, this may be reason they lack smoothness..

But since you already have the plastic shock bodies, you could just pick up the machined pistons and fix that issue.
You can grab a pack of the o-ring's while ur rebuilding them and some green slime..
I love my 3-4 sets I'm running. Built right and they don't even leak.
Just my pennies worth..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:40 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
They were built wrong then! If the scx shocks aren't very smooth....

The stock piston comes on a part tree. If the plastic piece that attaches the piston to the parts tree, isn't cleaned off the piston, this may be reason they lack smoothness..

But since you already have the plastic shock bodies, you could just pick up the machined pistons and fix that issue.
You can grab a pack of the o-ring's while ur rebuilding them and some green slime..
I love my 3-4 sets I'm running. Built right and they don't even leak.
Just my pennies worth..
yeah, these shocks are from an original scx10, 3 years old in my hands, probably a couple more before that... so it's likely the old school shocks.. might try a new(er) set if i can source some easily/locally.
Realistically i only need a pair, but would go full set if i can.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:51 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I'll see what I can find locally Terry. Give me till tomorrow morning and I almost bet I can have a brand new set in hand. I have a buddy that buys kits, and EVERY hop-up made before he starts builds. Needless to say, he has a bucket of stock Axial kit shocks, some aluminum and some plastic. Regardless of construction, they are all junk in his eyes, yet he'll swap them for GPM/Integy/whatever Chinese "hop-up" shock made...I just laugh.

I actually kinda wished I had seen this thread a month ago. Needed short shocks with M3 stuff for my mudder. Cut SCX units would've been almost perfect, and indestructible.
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:54 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Never thought of shortening shocks before this either. The idea of cutting the body down and moving the e-clip slots or re-threading them was something I had never even thought of. Winnerone23-thank you for the info! Opened up a lot of ideas just from the shocks I have laying around.

Haha, Terry, wanna go big bore? I got a FAT set of billet MLST shocks here. You'd NEVER break those!
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:08 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Never thought of shortening shocks before this either. The idea of cutting the body down and moving the e-clip slots or re-threading them was something I had never even thought of. Winnerone23-thank you for the info! Opened up a lot of ideas just from the shocks I have laying around.

Haha, Terry, wanna go big bore? I got a FAT set of billet MLST shocks here. You'd NEVER break those!
nah, i have probably 8-10 big bores sitting around here, they are just too fat and cant be shortened as easily, the scx shocks are threaded 3/4 the way down the body so it's easy to shorten them.

Shock options? (or M3 ball for stock shock cap?) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
shock options ovcrwlr Redcat Crawlers 4 06-19-2011 02:58 PM
Shock options Oso787 General Crawlers 7 07-12-2010 04:34 AM
Shock options......... BEELZEBOB Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 22 12-16-2009 11:08 AM
Shock Options ? upnover1 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 1 09-08-2008 06:45 PM
shock options for k2-3l dieselfuel Tamiya TLT Crawlers 11 11-08-2006 01:25 PM