Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Redcat Everest-16

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 12:41 AM   #1

Default Redcat Everest-16

Hello, my wife and I just purchased a Redcat Everest-16 for our son, he is turning 2 tomorrow and will be receiving the truck for his birthday. Some of you may think 2 is a bit young but he has done really well so far with my RC18B and we thought the crawler would be a fair bit slower and easier for him to drive. It will also allow him to drive with me while I'm crawling with my Wraith.

On to the reason I'm making this post...There's not a whole lot of info out there on the internet on this little truck but I decided to take the plunge and try it out. In this thread I will post my thoughts on the truck as well as pictures of it.

Initial Impressions-
I received the package in the mail and opened it up to get the battery charging so it's ready to go for tomorrow. I didn't fully remove the truck from the packaging but I did spend a few minutes inspecting it while I had it open.

The truck looks good in person, The photos on the internet are very accurate and at a glance appears well built.

Things I noted right off the bat-

-The battery tray is placed at the top of the chassis and in the back which will most definitely affect the weight distribution negatively. I will be seeing if I can move it forward and maybe lower on the chassis. I've seen people with the battery mounted on the axles but that just kills the scale looks for me so I'll be exploring alternative means to mitigate this issue eventually.

-The tires don't seem to be very soft or sticky at first look.

-I'm really impressed by the booklet included with this product. The actual parts list/exploded view of the truck is pretty basic and is a separate fold out poster sheet, but the booklet they include is very nice. As with their products it is aimed more toward newer people to the hobby but it's very well written and informative and covers a broad spectrum of topics from electric motor types, battery types, gearing, suspension and steering tuning etc. It's also written in a vernacular that is easy to read and understand. Kudos to Redcat for including such a helpful booklet.

If there's a more appropriate forum for this truck I apologize, from everything I can find it seems to be a clone of the Losi MRC so I figured this was the best place for this post.
Zad2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2015, 09:51 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Redcat Everest-16

No experience with that rig, but what a lucky kid.

A dad that's worried about battery placement and low center of gravity.

Are you SURE you bought that rig for your son?.... haha
MRCrackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:35 AM   #3

I got one for my son all so he is 4 and he loves it. We added 1 1/2 oz weight to each fron tire that helped it lots and now we are looking in to moving the battery down low im thinking of mounting it to the front links. I was looking and did see in the paper work this is a Lipo ready ESC so thats his next upgrade is lipo.
thenova70ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:59 PM   #4

The redcat everest 16 is a great rig especially if you are just using the axles and tranny. There is a fair bit of info here on it and its sisters (hsp kulak, exceed maxstone 16, ecx temper) you just have to search. There are many free/cheap mods thay really make this thing rock, iv'e built a couple and still have one.
f150monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:18 AM   #5

You can cut the electronics tray in half behind the esc so the battery half will zip tie to the upper link in the rear and the esc half will bolt to the frame where the extra body mount holes are in the front. Can get pic of front part later if you want, at work now. General pic of battery placement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
bgdogmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:23 AM   #6

Oh, and the tires really hook up if you cut off every other row of tread. Just a small pair of sidecutters, nothing fancy.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:50 AM   #7

That's a really sharp looking E16 truck bgdogmik. I will be getting an E16 too for my start in crawling and wanted to add a scale body at some point. I know there are so much more options with the E10 but I am pinching pennies and taking the personal challenge of going with the 16 and seeing how far I can take it over time. I hear the tread snip really does improve the tires grip.

Looks like the Losi MRC is almost the exact same size (18, 16... potatoe, potahto) and parts upgrades for the Losi will probably work well with the Redcat with some creativity.

Zad2k, hoping you are going to post your advenures & mods with yours.

Regards,
Jimmy
Jimmy JFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:41 PM   #8

Jimmy , thanks, it has been a fun little truck. There's a great thread on here about the maxstone 16 that you should check out if you do get an E16 since they are the exact same truck. The ecx temper 1:18 is also the same truck, except has a full size servo. I have the servo mount and servo from the temper on my E16 and it has been the single best upgrade so far. I have since gone back to the stock body (massively trimmed) because it can self right with it. I'm looking for a different option for the transmission /motor. I have a Traxxas 28t from the latrax 18. And it is way too fast and gets an interesting gyro affect from the wheel weights LOL. Still, nothing has broken. I thought that the "differentials" were on the way out because of how much slop they have, but they are still holding up despite being overpowered. I will be making it more of a scale truck, however, probably not until winter rolls around. With a width of 7" there's a lot of bodies available, matching the 8.75 wheelbase is much harder. Definitely needs a custom frame, or maybe an scx10 stock frame? A lot of the losi mrc parts do fit with some mods. I plan on doing the "wrapters" conversion from shapeways.com it is for the losi and allows the use of wraith C-hubs and knuckles and make the width 8".
Good luck with your truck you'll have fun I'm sure.

Redcat Everest-16 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A deeper look within the Redcat Everest 10 crawler TakeOffYouHoser Redcat Crawlers 1124 11-28-2021 09:18 AM
The new redcat everest-10 crawler? terrywolfpack Redcat Crawlers 83 06-29-2016 01:41 PM
Just bought redcat everest 1/16 Ilikemyaxial Redcat Crawlers 7 05-18-2016 08:35 PM
New redcat racing Everest-10 terrywolfpack General Crawlers 7 11-15-2015 08:40 AM