Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Late to the Party Losi MRC BWD Mini Wedge LP 2.0 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2018, 07:14 PM   #1

Default Late to the Party Losi MRC BWD Mini Wedge LP 2.0 Build

So the previous owners of my house did a lot of landscaping with rocks that I thought would be fun for an RC Crawler. Too small for a 1/10 Scale crawler but perfect for something smaller.

I had been planning on purchasing a Vaterra Slickrock, but when I went to buy one this spring I realized they have been discontinued.

I’m going to preface this next part with saying when I pickup a hobby I tend to go overboard...

First I found a like new Losi MRC Pro barely used RTR minus battery and charger.

It is pretty much stock besides Axial wheels and tires and this ridiculous carbon fiber electronics tray and body mount. It places significant amount of weight too high and flips over constantly. Coupled with a Chinese brushless, sensorless ESC and motor it has no low speed sensitivity but it is awesome at doing wheelies. I understand why it was barely used, it’s nearly undrivable.

It’s in great shape and with some minor adjustments should be a lot of fun.

So next I was worried about getting replacement parts since the MRC is out of production. I started buying up a few Hot Racing and Integy upgrades then found a hobby store that put their entire lot of MRC spare parts on eBay. This is the result:

Next up, I picked up a Losi MRC Pro missing, wheels, tires, body, and some electronics because you need spares right?

Then I decided I wanted a custom chassis after seeing perkul8r’s awesome thread. Not a lot of options left out their. I checked Billet Works Design’s site but everything was sold out. Then I decided on a Dravtech Chassis, but after multiple unanswered emails and Facebook messages gave up. In the mean time, BWD made some new inventory of MRC parts so I went ahead and ordered their Mini Wedge Pro LP 2.0 Chassis in carbon fiber with carbon fiber upper links and titanium lowers. I also picked up motor spacers, motor mount, bombproof shock and link mounts, and OTA Mod steering.

The products look great but there are zero instructions. BWD has also ignored multiple emails and Facebook messages so I guess Dravtech isn’t the only one that ignores customer communications. -Update. BWD got back to me and has been very helpful. I understand small business get busy - 5/22/18

The Chassis is fairly self explanatory except I’m really not sure what length of screws to use where especially when mounting the lower links to the Chassis. So if anyone has tips or detailed build pictures that would be awesome. Stay tuned for more updates once I figure out how to put this together...

Last edited by psupaulb; 05-22-2018 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Cleaned up photos
psupaulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2018, 11:58 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Late to the Party Losi MRC BWD Mini Wedge LP 2.0 Build

I just sent a word doc with info on hardware placement...I'm also working on doing build instructions.

BW
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billet works View Post
I just sent a word doc with info on hardware placement...I'm also working on doing build instructions.

BW
Thanks for your assistance. I understand, as a small business owner myself, sometimes it is hard to manage all the emails when things get busy.

For those following along, BWD stepped up to the plate, contacted me and gave me some pointers. Looking forward to getting this chassis together over the weekend!
Old 05-31-2018, 09:57 AM   #4

More goodies! I originally wanted to do a brushless setup but found out finding a sensored brushless motor in the right size for crawling is about impossible. I picked up a new in box Novak Timbuk2 but now need a motor to go along with it. In the mean time I got a Tekin FXR ESC and Team Brood Frenzy Brushed Motor:

A few more items arrived:

I am still waiting on a few drivetrain parts to while I wait I started figuring out how to put the chassis together:

The lower links and ends were a tight fit and I needed a vise to screw them together completely:

Chassis minus upper links

I'm a little confused on the upper links. They are delron, I believe, and nonthreaded. They just loosely go in to the ends. Am I supposed to glue them?
Old 05-31-2018, 04:49 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The uppers are carbon fiber. You'll epoxy the rod ends onto them. Make sure the rod ends are 90 degrees opposed to each other.
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:34 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The BWD chassis is a great setup when you get it all together. By far one of my best rigs so far. Fitting everything in these little guys is quite fun though lol

Perkul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:23 AM   #7

I'm Back! So I was a bit distracted by a fullsize car build. I decided I wanted to try autocross out and bought 1999 Miata that needed more work than I anticipated. Finally got it 90% done (still need to do suspension and wheels):

Old 12-14-2018, 10:35 AM   #8

Ok back to 1/18 Scale Rides!

I ended up picking up another MRC off Ebay. I really wanted a Novak Mongooe/380 Crawler Brushless ESC/Motor Combo and after searching for months I found one in another MRC so I bought the whole thing. It's a regular MRC with Pro Shocks and some other nice upgrades like Hi torque metal gear servo, upgraded chassis plates, metal hubs in the rear and a metal drive shaft. Anyone know who made these metal wheels?

Old 12-14-2018, 10:52 AM   #9

I'll get back to the BWD Mini Wedge Build after the holidays. For now I am rebuilding the first MRC I purchased so I can give it to my father as a Xmas present. I am going to fix the high center of gravity and add a few minor upgrades plus get rid of the horrible motor and ESC. Tear down begins:

Getting rid of this whole extra tray. Does anyone have pictures of an electronics setup for a MRC Pro Chassis? There is definitely not a lot of room in there. I did some mock ups lastnight and can't decide where to put the battery
Old 12-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #10
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psupaulb View Post
Ok back to 1/18 Scale Rides!

I ended up picking up another MRC off Ebay. I really wanted a Novak Mongooe/380 Crawler Brushless ESC/Motor Combo and after searching for months I found one in another MRC so I bought the whole thing. It's a regular MRC with Pro Shocks and some other nice upgrades like Hi torque metal gear servo, upgraded chassis plates, metal hubs in the rear and a metal drive shaft. Anyone know who made these metal wheels?

i "think" those are Hot Racing wheels. a lot of beef right there.
xlostonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:43 AM   #11

Cool build, keep us updated!
FunkSkunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Late to the Party Losi MRC BWD Mini Wedge LP 2.0 Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BWD mini wedge build finally!! RickM Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 55 08-07-2012 09:25 PM
BWD mini wedge build shock help KingGee Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 7 10-21-2011 02:29 PM
BWD Mini Wedge with Dub Topper build ClassicGMJunkie Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 41 09-16-2011 05:20 PM