Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Another guy making custom 3D printed axle housing (lots of large pictures)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2016, 11:26 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Another guy making custom 3D printed axle housing (lots of large pictures)

Currently trying to figure out how to hide a micro servo behind the axle without getting in the way of anything to allow for more scale look by hiding it.

Any suggestions?
T_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2016, 07:07 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Another guy making custom 3D printed axle housing (lots of large pictures)

Vid of the truck running about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyRq_vJO9j8
Old 02-25-2016, 08:13 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

So fiddling around some on this in the background but here is a variant of the MMT axle I call integra.
Which has the upper link mounts integrated, only thing I kept separated is the C-hubs which shown in the picture are some heavier duty style ones which... are likely over kill

Old 03-19-2016, 11:28 AM   #44
Quarry Creeper

So a look at the new Chub knuckles for the mmt I need to do a minor design tweak so 3mm screws can be used over the PITA mrc ones that at this size just love to scrip easily >.< And add a indentation for where link mount screws (or shock mount with integra axle) go so they don't push the chub around.

Things are slowing down right now but i'm debating on putting the chassis open on beta so you'll just need to provide a mrc/slick rock as a donor an use your own mrc trans plate or 1/16 traxxas trans combo. This will also help me with hugely with feedback an also just getting more of these out there was at the cactus classic last week an some racers saw it an were seaming really thrilled about the truck.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:33 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Default Re: Another guy making custom 3D printed axle housing (lots of pictures)

With MRC CVDs becoming increasingly hard to find I'd look at modding the knuckle design for something else. For something as simple as an MT you may find that even just Axial's SCX10 CVDs are just the right amount of overkill. Or LCC CVDs. Both can be had cheaply, and are easy enough to cut down and re-tang. My choice would be LCC due to the fact that they use a smaller inner bearing, will fit your existing chubs, they have a ring around the CVD bell to keep the pins in, and they actually have a very hefty design.

May as well look at integrating heavier rear shafts as well. Axial shafts are 4mm in the section we'd need tangs cut in, easy to get, cheap, and would also be overkill. Not like MRC straight rear shafts are getting easier to find either...
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:24 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Well the nice thing about the axles being stock housing replacements is you could grab dravtech wrapters which would be a route I'd consider since there been a lot of folks using those an showing that they hold out perfectly!

I do need to measure out stock mrc axle shaft an internals to make sure they can fit in the custom hubs aswell.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:44 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Another guy making custom 3D printed axle housing (lots of pictures)

Any updates?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2manyprojects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:54 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

sorry about the lack of updates most i've done is rework the chassis so it has more vertical space inside for electronics and gear the next chassis revision will be coming to me in a couple of weeks through shapeways which should be for the most part the final revision unless I find a serious structural issue with the frame after a few trips to a skate park.

There is another revision of axle I'm having shipped to me as well but I'm not sure about posting progress on the axles as I'm always finding the rear axle breaking in strange new ways thanks to that 540 being back there even with clearance!

Anyways here is a picture of the chassis update and color combination of whats changed

Red is the new frame setup
green is the old
grey is ignored
blue is for the cabin section being reused still have body clearance.

want to say off the top of my head its about 7mm more vertical space acquired inside.

Also got myself a m3d micro 3d printer for xmas so I'll be able to least print out some internal stuff that fit with in the 100mm cubed print space though I really need to figure out how to tweak the settings for the hatchbox ABS filiment
Old 12-29-2016, 11:36 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Tank View Post
Minor progress update going to try out some aluminum reinforcing in the duratraxx vendatta statalite gears to see if I can keep thise truck from having locked axles.

Ring an pinion seam to not care about being beaten up by a 17.5t motor with a 32t Pinion 55t spur with vxl trans in overdrive and axle running in OVERDRIVE aswell!!!! wonder if I can find a smaller vxl spur like a 35t an run a 38t pinion for MORE overdrive!!!
I love the open diffs option so that it handles better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Lookin good! You thought at all about moving the shock mounts to the top of the axle, and outboard? Maybe integrate the chubs into the housing, and locate the shock mounts just inboard the king pin location?
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
With MRC CVDs becoming increasingly hard to find I'd look at modding the knuckle design for something else. For something as simple as an MT you may find that even just Axial's SCX10 CVDs are just the right amount of overkill. Or LCC CVDs. Both can be had cheaply, and are easy enough to cut down and re-tang. My choice would be LCC due to the fact that they use a smaller inner bearing, will fit your existing chubs, they have a ring around the CVD bell to keep the pins in, and they actually have a very hefty design.

May as well look at integrating heavier rear shafts as well. Axial shafts are 4mm in the section we'd need tangs cut in, easy to get, cheap, and would also be overkill. Not like MRC straight rear shafts are getting easier to find either...
X2

Love this Mini MT concept that you're bringing to life, great design and testing, wish more major manufacturers were this thorough before calling it finished! This truck is looking hawt especially with the TLT tires and wheels.

Press fit bearings and proper tighter ring and pinion mesh is sweet too.

Last edited by Natedog; 12-29-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Its always a blast to drive around when I dust it off a guy over at RCMT is experimenting with a amalgam of various diff parts from other rc's to make a all metal open diff for the mrc/mini LST diff housing so I'm curious to see what he comes up with cause this thing with a 540 will blow a rear diff out if you lock the slipper!.

And I might design a narrower housing that can be used with dravtech's wrapters to make stock width axles that use axial chub/knuckles/axle shafts but right now I have the mrc stuff and the axial bits cost as much as a section or two of a prototype I can be printing for seeing if I need to revise. But it is a thought I been having.

Once I have the truck set how I want I may have a set of the integra style axles printed out to see how the top mounted shock location works out but currently the truck levels itself off beautifully on a 1/10 dirt track's jumps and is very easy to control in air just gotta keep fussing with the rear axle as the back axle keeps sheering things off in strange ways but I think its due to that big motor just barely having clearance and really what I need is a slimmer 540 mount for the merv trans... maybe that will be something I experiment with in ABS till I feel i can have it printed in shapeways steel an provide a link to a helicoil for better threading
Old 01-06-2017, 02:50 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

New chassis has arrived with a 3.5 version of the axle to test out on the rear. definitely more room in the chassis now able to put the glitch buster an receiver in the nose section and have more room for the esc and batteries to be actually set in place and not zip tied!
new in bag

blurry side by side of the old an new as you can see the new chassis is just a bit taller

swap complete the batteries are actually sitting on the mrc trans skid so least I have a good idea of how to make a battery box now!

everything fits a whole lot nicer

shot of the experimental v3.5 axle which flips the pumpkin 90o though installing the pinion bearing is a little tricky but doable
Old 01-29-2017, 10:19 AM   #52
Quarry Creeper

A slight side project that I'm fiddling with what comes to your guys mind yes or no.

Also wish I had some rigid filament available for my m3d micro i'm using their flexible "tough ink" which I have 4 rolls of.

Also need some ideas on sway bar mounting but my mind is going blank with how small this truck is and where links intersect.

And I can't take credit for the body just been reworking an adjusting it to fit the MMT and made the older jimny grill
samurai body for 1:10 scale model , rc by scaleparts - Thingiverse

which has led me to put THIS together in my free time which this is maybe 16 hours on off

not gonna post a bunch of pics of that frame its 1/10 scale and been fighting me on shapeways on a few of the "detail" bits being to thin but short list is
-uses 70mm shocks
-wheel base of the 3D printed sammy body aprox 1:10
- 15 to 16mm of vertical suspension travel
-mocup motor is a viper vstXL 550 4.5t (its what I have laying around
-uses a fake "fuel tank" to house the lipo under the rear floor board
-1/16 scale servo mockuped infront of the motor
-body will bolt to the chassis similar to the actual vehicle
-4 link mounts (may be possible to cut them out an put leaf mounts)
-full interior will be possible including inner fenders (rear shock mount though will have to be "boxed" in to seal the back end)

My only gripe on that sj410 frame is... mine is 306mm long so.. that won't fit on my printer DX
Old 01-29-2017, 12:43 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Bad ass, I like it!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:33 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Micro update hopefully the pictures don't go fubar like photobucket but got one of my prototype replacement rims in for the tlt-1 tires on my little mmt I think it turned out great besides the front cvd threading being to long so I can't use the cover but the rear is no issue.

Wheels have 16.5mm backspacing so they also sit a little wider then the stock tlt-1 wheels

Old 07-15-2017, 08:48 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

gonna post also a prototype axle i've had on the rear for a while with a 90o rotated diff to strengthen the servo upper standoffs that the servo plates hook up to

Another guy making custom 3D printed axle housing (lots of large pictures) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shapeways 3d printed portal axles, knuckles, t-case, axle housing for scx10 Shinjari Axial SCX-10 29 09-28-2016 06:48 PM
large scale axle question from a tenth scale guy... summervillecrawler Large Scale Rigs 6 02-02-2012 06:49 AM
My thought of making the Strongest large rig winch out there..... Gula General Scale Talk 1 12-25-2008 03:39 PM