Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Dravpnir tries to build something small, again...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2015, 09:40 AM   #41
DravTech

Default Re: Dravpnir tries to build something small, again...

Good question, when I bought the motor it was everywhere it seemed and tons of them on eBay. I think I paid like $9 per motor for them.

Ask 89redranger here on the forum. I bet he can give some clue where to get them.
Dravpnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #42
DravTech

Sorry for the lack of updates here, but I had misplaced my camera...

But now the camera is found just in time for the third version of the mini project to become a roller

The knuckles has room for 5 Derby Pinewood Tungsten slugs and 4 small rods if the slugs aint enough. The slugs and rods are kept in place with a small CF piece. The C-hubs got small pockets in them for the rod ends to allow more steering

The rear also got a weight holder but that only can hold 4 Derby Pinewood slugs. Should be plenty enough though. Same as with the knuckles, the slugs are kept in place with a small CF piece.

The servo sits nice and low, but the bottom of the servo is in level with the lower links so it should be quite protected anyway. I can truly recommend this servo (Protek 160T), really fast and strong enough + can be powered directly from a 2S lipo.

The drive shaft angles should not cause any problems I think. The drive shafts lines up almost perfectly with the gear box too.

Even though I love the Dlux Spoked wheel design, now when I got the 1.9 version of the Tri-Blade Cyclone wheels ready I just had to switch

Tomorrow it is time to make new upper links, throw in the electronics and test drive it

If all works as it should the mini will be packed and shipped off to France to attend the French Nationals. Lets hope it will make the same success there as at the Nordics

Old 07-07-2015, 04:37 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Take my money!!! ;) your old design will do me just fine! Lol.. JK...

They look Sick! Hopefully they can still come in All black.. Or Red!

I'll be interested to see/hear the thoughts of strength, between the 3 piece knuckles and the 1 piece knuckles..
No worries on the printed steering arms?
I run a 7950 in my mini.. :/

Wheels are Awesome! All of it, Sick, Sick, SICK!

Keep it coming Tobias.. Your doing a awesome job!
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:14 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Damn, I just had to wipe the droop off my keyboard. That is the coolest thing I have ever seen for an MRC.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:38 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
With the servo working on the same plane as the knuckles/c-hubs (well, damned close) servo requirements should be greatly reduced. The axles as a whole were designed to be as efficient as possible in every way. Available steering, leverage angles, packaging, and ease of maintenance and use. Top that with a car that is probably 1/2 a pound lighter than most of are accustomed to and you may just be surprised what a wee little servo will do.

I have no doubts that car will be a killer Tobias! Hoping to order some printed parts soon myself, and get my car rolling. I'm with Winner and Jslick here though, take my money! I'm drooling already!

Last edited by 89redranger; 07-07-2015 at 05:46 PM.
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:18 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Absolutely amazing. Guess I am gonna have to build a mini now
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:30 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
With the servo working on the same plane as the knuckles/c-hubs (well, damned close) servo requirements should be greatly reduced. The axles as a whole were designed to be as efficient as possible in every way. Available steering, leverage angles, packaging, and ease of maintenance and use. Top that with a car that is probably 1/2 a pound lighter than most of are accustomed to and you may just be surprised what a wee little servo will do.

I have no doubts that car will be a killer Tobias! Hoping to order some printed parts soon myself, and get my car rolling. I'm with Winner and Jslick here though, take my money! I'm drooling already!
I can fully follow what your saying Brian.
When I designed the DesTroy plate, that CCC is selling, I dropped from a 7980 to a 7950 on my sporty for the first time. I'm still running a 7950(on 8.2v) and don't miss the 7980..

Since I only own 7950's, 80's, and HH servo's.. I only run the 7950 on 6v in the mini.. It's been kicking for 2-3 years now, like that.

I'm just shy of 2 1/2lbs now.. I already watch the steering move the rig around and can pick the whole truck up, just by steering..

Build 1 Christian, you know you've been wanting to for years now!
Old 07-07-2015, 07:09 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I have.. But every time I build one, i can't get into it. Seems like the technology was always lacking. But with the parts that Tobias has produced, it is up there. It's something I am excited to see, excited to receive, and excited to build.
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:57 AM   #49
DravTech

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
Damn, I just had to wipe the droop off my keyboard. That is the coolest thing I have ever seen for an MRC.
Thanks guys

Patience Brian, I already got your money
And of course you need to build one Christian!

Quote:
Take my money!!! ;) your old design will do me just fine! Lol.. JK...

They look Sick! Hopefully they can still come in All black.. Or Red!

Wheels are Awesome! All of it, Sick, Sick, SICK!

Thanks

Hopefully the first production runs of the axles & Co will happen soon. I just want to get the feedback from the French Nats to see if the modifications I made was enough before I hit the big button.

And of course, all the printed parts (axle housings, diff covers, lockouts, chubs, knuckles, weight holders and skid) will be available in all of Shapeways colors - black, white, pink, red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple. Or a mix of mentioned colors.

I do plan to keep a few sets in stock but only in black. If you want colors it will require some waiting time for me to order them from Shapeways.

Quote:
I'll be interested to see/hear the thoughts of strength, between the 3 piece knuckles and the 1 piece knuckles..
No worries on the printed steering arms?
Quote:
Quote:
I can fully follow what your saying Brian.
When I designed the DesTroy plate, that CCC is selling, I dropped from a 7980 to a 7950 on my sporty for the first time. I'm still running a 7950(on 8.2v) and don't miss the 7980..

Since I only own 7950's, 80's, and HH servo's.. I only run the 7950 on 6v in the mini.. It's been kicking for 2-3 years now, like that.

I'm just shy of 2 1/2lbs now.. I already watch the steering move the rig around and can pick the whole truck up, just by steering..
I feel rather comfortable with the all printed knuckle. The arms got quite heafty reinforcements under the arm to stiffen it up a lot (I think I got a picture of that on the DravTech FB page for those who are interested).

But if you use a 7950 then I might feel less comfortable. First off you probably need to space up the servo a bit so it doesn't hang to far down and then you loose the advantageous steering angle which will put more stress on the steering arm. That combined with the power of the 7950... well only way to find out is to test it

Here is a picture with a 7950, which I planed to use before I found the Protek servo instead. The servo sits quite far down. I can take a better side by side picture with the 7950 vs the 160T later tonight.

My mini will weight around 2.5 lb with all the weights, or under 2 lb without the weights so it is not that heavy.

If it also stops raining I might be able to take a video of the preformance of the Protek servo on the mini. It is resonable strong for a low profile servo (274 oz-in of torque @ 7.4V and 0.06 transit speed)

The front axle housing will also be offered in a version with Wraith/XR10 splines, so in "worst" case you can use the normal VP Wraith knuckles.

Quote:
Quote:
I have.. But every time I build one, i can't get into it. Seems like the technology was always lacking. But with the parts that Tobias has produced, it is up there. It's something I am excited to see, excited to receive, and excited to build.
I am thinking more about it as a small 2.2 crawler and not a "mini"
It is after all, mostly 2.2 tech shrunken down to fit the 1.9 requirements. The only mini part that is left is the transmission and gears. Given the motors used those should be plenty strong enough.

It will, however, be interesting to see how well the stuff holds up when I install my Brood mini Stubby
Old 07-08-2015, 05:30 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Take my money!!! ;)

Quote:
x2^^^what they said. I've been following this thread...I want to build one too!
chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #51
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicklet View Post
x2^^^what they said. I've been following this thread...I want to build one too!

All done!

Front width of 7.75" and a rear width of 7.25".

New drag link under the servo horn and a slightly bent parallell link that gives better approach angle.

Battery is placed along side the servo (where the yellow XT30 connector is in the picture).

Max steering but no rubbing on the shocks/links

Receiver on top of the servo and esc hanging behind the servo.

Here is some comparison pictures of the Protek 160T vs Hitec 7950. Question is how much the decrease of ground clearance will effect the performance? Perhaps you can live with it hanging down like that?

For my part, I am sticking with the Protek. I didn't get a chance to take a video, but that servo has no problem lifting up the crawler if it hangs on one front tire, or make the crawler jump so power seems enough and the speed... yikes such a difference and makes the Hitec seem like it is moving in slow motion.

Protek 160T

Hitec 7950

Quite a difference in height...

So if everything goes well during the French Nationals in the end of this month I will start ordering parts for more sets

I just received spacers for 20 SuDuZero chassis and 10 sets of wheels, so I should be covered for a while in that area atleast.

Last edited by Dravpnir; 07-10-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:48 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Hey Tobias, I think I would be interested in building a ZERO also. It's great all the time and effort you guys have put into this little guy!!!
I will be getting together with Brian later in the summer to to try out his ROCKS!
Ernie,
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:24 PM   #53
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.

You know me, I'm in for one. Awesome looking chassis too.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:31 PM   #54
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Hey Tobias, I think I would be interested in building a ZERO also. It's great all the time and effort you guys have put into this little guy!!!
I will be getting together with Brian later in the summer to to try out his ROCKS!
Ernie,
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTHGbronco82 View Post
You know me, I'm in for one. Awesome looking chassis too.
Thanks

It stop raining yesterday, so I managed to get a few minutes of driving the mini when the wife and kid played at a playground. Here is a very short video I managed to take.

Steepest part of the climb was around 70 degrees

Old 07-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #55
RCC Addict

She sticks! I have a similarly steep flat-faced rock here in the yard that I use as a benchmark for mini performance. In all my time doing this, only 2 of my cars have made the climb clear to the top. I'll be sure to shoot some video of that section as soon as I get my car up and running. Looking forward to this new rig!
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:27 PM   #56
Pebble Pounder

Isn't the chassis too big for USRCCA specs, length is 6.75", width 2.5" and height is 2.75" ?
fshnut007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:31 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshnut007 View Post
Isn't the chassis too big for USRCCA specs, length is 6.75", width 2.5" and height is 2.75" ?
Measurements are for a minimum..

Only track width and wheel base are a maximum..
Old 07-14-2015, 12:35 PM   #58
Pebble Pounder

Cool, thanks for the clarification.
fshnut007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:10 AM   #59
Pebble Pounder

hi
tobias thank you for sending me a zuduzero for nats french big2015
1 and 2 podium

david511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:27 AM   #60
RCC Addict

That's how to do it my friend! That's one amazing rig!
Zarizi Tech is offline   Reply With Quote

Dravpnir tries to build something small, again... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dravpnir tries to build something Super big Dravpnir Superclass Crawlers 41 12-09-2016 03:44 PM
Dravpnir tries to build something really small Dravpnir Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 7 03-11-2015 01:33 AM
Dravpnir tries to build something small Dravpnir Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 221 11-10-2014 02:28 PM
Dravpnir tries to build something even lighter Dravpnir EnRoute Berg 88 08-03-2014 02:58 PM
Dravpnir tries to build something light Dravpnir EnRoute Berg 125 04-23-2014 06:01 AM