Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Losi Mini Pro rebuild

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2017, 12:32 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Losi Mini Pro rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by baycrawler View Post
comp rig vs. something like a slickrock........doesn't it going kind of hand in hand?

if you're out messing around on trails and what not, you'd want a rig that can crawl, climb, etc. and not flip or roll over. which i equate to a rig that's set up vs. something that's not, ie a slickrock in this case?

keep in mind, i don't know the first thing about comps though!
A comp rig and a trail rig can be fairly similar. Just minor differences really. Most people wont be taking a nicely built comp rig trailing though lol.

They share alot of aspects the same. Obviously no matter what your doing you want a rig thats set up well to do it. My comp rig now is strictly inside use or dry use only. None of the electronics are waterproof, and its just not designed overall to get nasty dirty and wet.

However, the slickrock, has a bit better ground clearance for trails, waterproof electronics, and I will thoroughly enjoy taking it in the mud lol.

Trail running takes a toll on rigs. They can take alot of abuse. Comp rigs aren't always made to take that abuse.

So there are alot of similarities, but there are some differences in the two types of crawling.
Perkul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2017, 08:37 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Messed with the truck a bit tonight. I really love my SuperShafty wheels, and they really fit the look I wanted, but they are wide. And even with the aluminium wheel weights, I wanted a bit more. I know I could have went with the brass wheel weights, but they weren't available when I placed my order for everything.

However, I had an old school set of DNA Sniper 1.9's laying around so I swapped tires and threw them one.

Cant wait to try it out now.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #43
Rock Stacker

Looks good. Is that the BWD 2.0 chassis?
Mxkid261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:46 PM   #44
Rock Stacker

Also, thanks for the shock limiter tip. I got my temper sitting nice and low now. Used to roll over when on the sides of the wheels now it doesn't. Should run better with the lower cog, hopefully Lol. Looking forward to more pics of your rigs

Old 03-16-2017, 02:48 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxkid261 View Post
Looks good. Is that the BWD 2.0 chassis?

Yes it is. Its his Mini Wedge LoPro 2.0 chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2017, 07:11 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Ordered up shocks for the Mini today. found me some Losi Late Model shocks. Hopefully they will work.

While scrounging around on Ebay I found a listing for the discontinued 3racing Mini shocks, and as I am rebuilding a couple mini's I snatched them up.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:22 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Seems as how the BWD Mini is dang near done minus testing and tuning, it was time to start rebuilding another one.

I got this one a while ago, and its been sitting.

It has been comped and is set up great. But me being me...I wanted to put it back together how it would have been when buying the chassis setup new.

It has a Duratrax Gatekeeper Mini chassis, Losi Insane 370 motor, VP wheels, HB Rovers. So I started the tear down tonight.

That didn't take long Lol

The truck has different links and servo plate than what the Chassis kit would have come with. So I started scouring ebay. I found a guy selling the links, rod ends, and skid all in one shot.

My next problem was finding the correct servo plate. That was not easy. Had a couple WTB ads out there and nothing. So I went to my last resort. Found a chassis setup on ebay, and ordered it. Its used, but has the correct chassis plates, and front and rear link mounts. Paid a bit more than I wanted, but hopefully can part out what I am not using to get some money back.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:20 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I saw that chassis on there and was interested in it, they had a losi pro chassis to I believe.

I think they still have the Pro chassis. Honestly all I need from that one I bought is the servo plate. I'll probably end up selling the rest lol

Old 03-23-2017, 07:52 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Got some of my parts today so started by swapping the shocks on my BWD truck.

The Losi Late Model shocks make it alot lower. Cant wait to get it out and really try it.

Of course took it outside and messed with it a little bit. Got a spot in the yard I am going to start gathering rocks for a little crawler spot so I can mess around on.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:06 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Got my parts chassis from Ebay....Now to tear it down and get to work.

Also got my packages of the factory Duratrax Gatekeeper Links, ball ends, and trans mount. Cant wait to start getting this other one together.

Need to pick up some 3mm nuts tomorrow than can start putting this together.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:20 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Got it somewhat together. But ran into my first problem. This chassis/servo plate setup was never meant to run over the axle steering. This setup was meant to use everything off a MRC RTR truck. So I am gonna have to switch up my steering knuckles and steering links. Not a biggie. But gotta order some parts now lol.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:45 AM   #52
Rock Stacker

Which chassis is that one again? I really want to get something to 4 link my temper, not sure which route to go.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:30 AM   #53
Quarry Creeper

That one is the Duratrax Gatekeeper Mini. Sadly it's no longer made anymore.

The best chassis's that are currently available are Billet Works Designs Mini Wedge LoPro 2.0, Dravtech SuduOne 1.9 mini, and JC Auto Design Karnage Jr.

Those are the ones I know of for sure currently in production.

So far I have the only one I haven't had is the Dravtech one. Some day I'll get his whole Mini setup lol.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:16 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yes I have looked at all 3 of those, hoping I can pick up something used Lol.

I understand that. I'm working on another Gatekeeper chassis. Waiting on ball ends to arrive.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #55
Quarry Creeper

My problem is I like them all lol. But I gotta finish the ones I have first than see what I got for parts to build more.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Not a big update, but an update none-the-less....Got some parts in today for the Gatekeeper, Vendetta shocks with the aluminum mounting kit, look good and keeping with the the theme I have for the truck. Now all I need is an ESC, rx/tx and this one is ready to drive.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:30 AM   #57
Rock Stacker

Are those losi axles? And which drag link is that?
Old 03-29-2017, 10:53 AM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Are those losi axles? And which drag link is that?

Axles are Losi. They have the Aluminum one piece lockouts on the rear. And than Aluminum chubs and knuckles.

The steering link is a Hot Racing one. I bought it a while back. It's decent. They pop up on eBay every now and than.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:00 AM   #59

Really liking your build thread!
Im in the process of building my first mini i was just wondering how you rate the aluminum trans gears? And is there any particular motor you recommend? Thanks
BEARly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:38 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEARly View Post
Really liking your build thread!
Im in the process of building my first mini i was just wondering how you rate the aluminum trans gears? And is there any particular motor you recommend? Thanks
The aluminum gears are great. Only thing you need to watch for is where the trans outputs go into the center gear, that needs to be JB welded in there. The aluminum is softer than the trans outputs and will make the holes oblong. I have had a few used sets like that. I just jb weld them and dont worry about it after that lol.

Motor choice is kinda limited. Team Brood still makes a nice mini motor. A few of the local guys run the traxxas latrax motors. I am sure there are more out there, I just dont know of them sadly. I have been lucky and ended up with some of the old Holmes Hobbies Mini's, and a couple Losi Insane 370's.

Losi Mini Pro rebuild - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frozen's Mini Losi PRO Frozen W. Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 13 04-23-2012 08:09 PM