Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Brushless 380/390 size motor systems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2018, 03:59 PM   #21

Default Re: Brushless 380/390 size motor systems

What an awesome little motor. Just redrilled the stock spur to 1/8” for now to get it running and test it out, not ideal but it worked. Just ordered a set of 8ight-dB spurs (LOS212009) and a 14T 48dp 1/8” pinion (rrp1014) to see if they will work.

I’ll have to get some decent vids but wheelspeed is loads better than the stock set up and with 100% drag brake on the xcelorin it literally stops on button from full speed. Going to have a play and reduce the drag brake as it’s almost too much as it is.

Last edited by scottiej; 02-21-2018 at 05:20 PM.
scottiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2018, 06:35 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiej View Post
What an awesome little motor. Just redrilled the stock spur to 1/8” for now to get it running and test it out, not ideal but it worked. Just ordered a set of 8ight-dB spurs (LOS212009) and a 14T 48dp 1/8” pinion (rrp1014) to see if they will work.

I’ll have to get some decent vids but wheelspeed is loads better than the stock set up and with 100% drag brake on the xcelorin it literally stops on button from full speed. Going to have a play and reduce the drag brake as it’s almost too much as it is.
Good to hear. How is low-speed control?
Stollenritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:59 AM   #23

Low speed control is really good, I'm still having a bit of a play with the ESC settings to find my favorite set up but i'm super happy with this motor on the Xcelorin ESC.
scottiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:41 AM   #24

I have this motor fitted now and it does feel much better than the old brushed one,I had to file the motor mount out a little as the only pinion gear I had was a little wide at it’s base and the motor has a short shaft so I couldn’t put it on in reverse. I’m just using an old shoddyking Xcar ESC but with the drag brake at 100 or 80% it holds great on a steep incline, my only problem is if I want to reverse off the slope it kinda just lets go so the crawler shoots back down at speed.
Arcright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:12 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiej View Post
Low speed control is really good, I'm still having a bit of a play with the ESC settings to find my favorite set up but i'm super happy with this motor on the Xcelorin ESC.
That's good to know. I recently picked up a used MRC Pro with a generic brushless nonsensored Motor and it has way too much power and very little low speed control. Great for doing wheelies, not so great for crawling.

There are very few options for sensored 380 and I was afraid the Turnegy would still be too much power. I picked up a NOS Timbuk2 the other day and have been searching for a sensored motor that will work.
psupaulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:08 AM   #26

I’ve been using this motor now for a bit of trailing and rock crawling with two different ESC’s but I can’t get it to creep real slow like my old brushed setup. I found a Xcelorin ESC on fleabay new in a box marked as a crawler version but the programming software won’t work and the programming card has limited changes on it. I still have the problem with trying to creep down a steep slope as the rig just tears off as if I’ve hit full throttle so out of irritation I put my brushed setup back on and I’m now able to creep about no mater how steep the slopes.
Arcright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:15 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcright View Post
I’ve been using this motor now for a bit of trailing and rock crawling with two different ESC’s but I can’t get it to creep real slow like my old brushed setup. I found a Xcelorin ESC on fleabay new in a box marked as a crawler version but the programming software won’t work and the programming card has limited changes on it. I still have the problem with trying to creep down a steep slope as the rig just tears off as if I’ve hit full throttle so out of irritation I put my brushed setup back on and I’m now able to creep about no mater how steep the slopes.
They made a Xcelorin 280 Brushless/Sensored Motor to go along with it. Keep an eye out on Ebay!

I got lucky and picked up a Novak Mongoose ESC and Three-80 Brushless/Sensorless Motor. I had to buy a whole MRC to get it, but it was worth it. It crawls pretty good. Right before I found that I had picked up a brushed Team Brood Frenzy and Tekin FX-R ESC that I haven't tried out yet. I'll let you know how it compares to the Novak.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:20 AM   #28
I joined the Band!

the mamba micro X and a Team Brood mini motor are the ticket.

micro x has all the castle programming you will need and if you REALLY need to be brushless in a mini crawler it has you covered

Team Brood mini motors are awesome. get the Anarchy for $70 but if thats to steep the frenzy is great for $20. super smooth start up and performance is great. if you can find a HH mini motor then your in good shape too.

he is a link to the Brood motor.
Mini Motors | Your Store
xlostonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:46 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlostonex View Post
the mamba micro X and a Team Brood mini motor are the ticket.

micro x has all the castle programming you will need and if you REALLY need to be brushless in a mini crawler it has you covered

Team Brood mini motors are awesome. get the Anarchy for $70 but if thats to steep the frenzy is great for $20. super smooth start up and performance is great. if you can find a HH mini motor then your in good shape too.

he is a link to the Brood motor.
Mini Motors | Your Store
I grabbed two of the Broody Frenzy motors I am going to use in a few builds. Is the Anarchy really worth the $50 upcharge over the Frenzy?
Old 11-28-2018, 11:23 PM   #30
I joined the Band!

I feel the difference

Smoother low end start up, tons of torque, plenary of speed. I have both and will always use handwound over machine any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xlostonex is offline   Reply With Quote

Brushless 380/390 size motor systems - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duratrax 380 size motor trukkracea Redcat Crawlers 16 06-30-2014 07:59 PM
Rs 10 380 size motor rs10crazy Redcat Crawlers 6 11-09-2012 07:14 AM
Banebots 380 vs 390 vs 395 bill400ex Duratrax Cliff Climber 3 02-13-2010 06:18 AM