Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Ressurection of my childhood MRC.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2017, 12:45 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Ressurection of my childhood MRC.

It's been almost 7 years since I made a post. I was a stubborn 14 year-old and I apologize to everyone that remembers clearly. This is a hobby that comes back to "haunt me" per-say, but this time, It has stuck around for a lot longer than I anticipated.

RC has always been a hobby that comes and goes. I have never sold a single vehicle I've owned, and I come back to them maybe once every 6 months. As a kid, Ive always wanted a brushless edition e-revo. I can clearly remember when they came out years ago and how much I craved one. I drooled over them for the longest time until I got my license and eventually turned my hobby to turning wrenches at a Chevy dealership.

Ever since then. The hobby relapses like a drug addict and cocaine. I've always had my rustler, my MRC, my mini e-revo. But I stumbled upon a B.E. erevo on ebay for a steal and could not turn the offer down. I came to the conclusion... If I was spending this much money on an e-revo, why not show my MRC some TLC?

I had almost forgot about my MRC. I was sitting in this same chair a few days ago when the idea had hit me. Why not rebuild my MRC that was my childhood RC and my first hobby-grade RC and resurrect it from what was potentially retirement?

So I had a lightbulb moment.

I went looking everywhere for my MRC.I looked in my closet, in the garage, in my room... It was nowhere to be found. Until I actually dug deeper. It was buried under tons of first semester college homework in my closet. Compressed by maybe 15lbs of paper work.

I took it out, gave it a glance over, and ordered some goodies for it. Last time I had driven it, it had a janky mini-erevo rear driveshaft (I guess I snapped the stock one), missing a wheel hex (Pretty sure I took it off to use in my rustler) And its missing some random screws. Other than that, the truck is still in tact.

First thing I noticed was the MRC was discontined, After doing a little research. But, they supposably make the Vaterra slick rock, which is based off the same chassis. The Vattera caught my eye like an attractive woman. So I ordered a Vattera chassis, some nice 1.9 beadlocks (since I never did glue my HB Rovers) and some nice driveshafts.

The age of this truck is really showing (pic included below of the stock driveshaft play. Look at the play in the u-joint!) . It almost upsets me that they are discontinued. This was my first hobby grade RC rig that I paid with my own cash that I saved up for many christmas' as a child. Im very excited to get it up and running, and I hope you guys are just as excited to follow along. The parts are ordered. Now it is a waiting game. Its been a very long time since I've been on this forum, but Im glad to say i'm not an immature d*ckhead anymore. Ill keep this thread updated. and hope to influence some, and make a nice semi-scaler out of my childhood MRC.

shadowrejects is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2017, 12:45 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Ressurection of my childhood MRC.

Welcome back to the hobby. I starten in the 90s and some years it looked like i stopped with the hobby but eventually came back to it. First onroad now offroad, theres so much variety nowadays. Good luck restoring that mrc. Like those wheels.
WesleyRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:20 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Always glad to see these Mini's brought back to life. Cant wait to see it done man.
Perkul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:25 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I got some of the goodies in yesterday. The chassis swap was straight forward. But I did have to mod one thing and that was the shock posts. My shocks are mounted similar to a ball joint. So I cut the outermost tab off, drilled the hole out, and threaded the joints in. Wasn't hard, also kept me from buying more stuff.

The beadlocks were a very time consuming part. Took me about an hour and a half to get them all seated properly. But they hold, so Im happy. Definitely an upgrade weight-wise.

I also got some wide hexes. They're almost too-wide. The nylon lock ring outside the wheel hex doesnt touch the axle stud, but it is a crawler, so wheel-off's are not common. Also purchased a new FXR case since mine somehow has a hole in it. Plan on waterproofing everything when the transmission comes in. In my attempt to remove the old driveshaft, one worm gear was previously stripped. Trying to drill it out, the drill slipped and drilled right into the transmission and into a gear. Luckily I found one on Ebay for 35$ with a new motor shipped. Kind of sucks but it happens.

Slowly coming together. Enjoy some update pictures!

Old 03-18-2017, 11:41 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

You'll have to let me know how those driveshafts hold up. I was thinking of getting a set.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:09 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkul8r View Post
You'll have to let me know how those driveshafts hold up. I was thinking of getting a set.
Im curious as well. I was looking for some stock ones but I couldnt find any that were cheap. They were the same price. These seem decent, material does feel slightly cheaper though.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:58 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrejects View Post
Im curious as well. I was looking for some stock ones but I couldnt find any that were cheap. They were the same price. These seem decent, material does feel slightly cheaper though.
They should hold up ok. I still run stock ones on my Slickrock, but its gonna get beat up lol. So dont wanna waste the money on nice ones on that one. lol
Old 03-21-2017, 12:53 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Got the transmission in the truck today. It drives really nice! Sorry for the terrible quality. Its been dark all week by time I have some free time to tinker with it. Almost done except for the waterproof part and figure out if I can lower it down maybe .5". It seems kinda tall for my preference.

The rig looks totally different compared to what it used to look like!

Old 03-23-2017, 07:26 AM   #9
No idea what I'm doing

Congrats on the resurrection!

I did have to chuckle a bit when I saw the title to this thread though. I kind of forgot how long ago it was when the MRC was released.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote

Ressurection of my childhood MRC. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Childhood robot project bvrc Chit Chat 4 10-05-2013 03:18 PM
Childhood interest resparked? toyotatrucks83 General Scale Talk 6 01-03-2012 10:21 AM
Kyosho Blizzard DX ressurection nvradtec Non Crawler RC's 1 11-09-2011 12:03 PM
The Ressurection of an SCX10 Twiztid Metal Axial SCX-10 10 07-04-2011 11:19 AM
Lost RC from my childhood Jer Chit Chat 3 11-27-2010 05:00 PM