Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Suggested Steering improvements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2017, 08:07 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Suggested Steering improvements

What are some suggested mods to improve steering on the Losi mini crawler? Just got one and loving it!
sethstiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2017, 08:13 PM   #2

Default Re: Suggested Steering improvements

While I don't have the Losi MRC, I do have a redcat Everest 16 which is very similar. I upgraded my E16 to 4 wheel steer which made a huge improvement on steering! It just about turns on a dime now!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
daBigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethstiles View Post
What are some suggested mods to improve steering on the Losi mini crawler? Just got one and loving it!
Hello and welcome!
Do you have a RTR model or a Pro model?
How modded, do you want to go?

If you have a RTR model, you can go with pro steering, LCC steering, or all the way to XR steering..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:57 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I have the RTR. I'm open to any suggestions but do not want to go with 4 wheel steering. Was wondering if there is a zero ackerman kit or something like that. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:00 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Are there any ways to improve steering WITHOUT modding everything for zero ackeman?
Old 08-15-2017, 07:23 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Your biggest limit in the rtr steering is going to be the front dogbones. Without having the front cvd's anything more than stock steering wont really be useful.

On my simple setups, I went with aluminium steering knuckles, and upgraded steering link and so far the steering is great. The biggest improvement I had was switching to the CVD front axles, but those are few and far between. sometimes you can find them on ebay, but not to often.
Perkul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:15 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I have the RTR. I'm open to any suggestions but do not want to go with 4 wheel steering. Was wondering if there is a zero ackerman kit or something like that. Thanks.

I clocked my Pro's chubs (zero Ackerman) back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ClovisCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:12 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Perkul8r - Thanks so much for the helpful response. So, a cheeper but helpful method is going with aluminum knuckes and the alum steering links from a company like Integy. This is not as good of an improvement as zero ackerman, but still an improvement over stock stet up right? Thanks.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:59 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Cloviscrawler - Forgive my ignorance, but what does clocked mean? Could I do it to any aftermarket chubs or used mrc pro chubs from ebay and that would help the steering? Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:21 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Been a while, but I've decided it's finally time for me to get my kid's Slick Rock back in business. Need to install some wideners, but I noticed when I do I lost steering throw. What's the solution?
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:38 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Anyone seen this as an option for improved steering for analog servos - a servo stretcher? https://www.servocity.com/180-servo-stretcher
Old 08-24-2017, 07:50 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Sethstiles,
As stated by Perkul8r, the most limiting factor are the stock dogbones. Losi CVDS #LOSB1455 are a direct fit / drop in and the most important part for improved steering on a Losi MRC or Vaterra Slickrock. Aluminium c-hubs and knuckles are a must too. If you stay with the plastic c-hubs and knuckles, you can remove the limiter on the knuckles using an exacto-knife. As the LOSB1455 are not available anymore, try to get your hands on a set of "3racing swing shafts" https://www.3racing-parts.com/team-l...-90006798.html. They are a direct fit too. Some people complain about quality on the 3racing CVDs, but I run mine without trouble (but I am not that hard on my trucks). The 3racing CVDs are hard to find too, but at least they show up (from time to time...)
Best of luck for your search!
Stollenritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Thanks so much for your great feedback and confirmation about the cvd's being the best way to go. I am keeping my eyes out for those cvd's and even the Losi ones if they show up on ebay or from a forum member. How would I remove the limiter on the stock knuckles with the xacto knife? I found these.....would they help at all? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-Zero-Ac...C-Pro-LOSB1432. Thanks!!

Last edited by sethstiles; 08-24-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Dravtech has some adapters you can get that will let you run wraith c-hubs and knuckles with cut down Uni's. they are like 15 bucks from his shapeways store and you can get them in colors. uses M3 hardware too, which is nicer then the little tiny losi stuff. the Uni's would be the most expensive thing, you can get stock plastic hubs and knuckles almost free. and you will get all the steering you can handle.

a really nice alternative. Just my 2 cents
jason1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:31 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the input. I have heard this mod a number of times. Let me add it up and see what price point it comes in at. It is so hard to find the 3racing cvd's, which are the only cvd's still in production. Other mini compatible aftermarket cvd's are not made or around anymore either. I am looking at a couple other options like clocking my chubs, just getting alum knuckles which might help some, even heard of a servo stretcher. Can I use my stock knuckles and chubs with the wraith uni's and wrapter adapters? Thanks!!
Old 08-24-2017, 05:53 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Wraith unis are available everywhere. Easy to get. You will have to mod them though. I don't think stick pets work with It adds a splined end to your axle to be able to clock it. If you stick with the plastic stick hubs and knuckles the uni's are the most expensive part. You might spend 60 bucks total? I am not sure but this mod is on the books for me when I start my mini build for sure.
jason1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:18 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

CVDs... Expensive, easy to break, hard to find, lack of steering, etc...
Photo 1..

Uni's.. not expensive, won't have to replace, good luck breaking them, can't use all the steering (unless your pretty dam good at building and setting up your steering Correctly) still can't use it all!
Photo 2
I've been running the XR steering for a few years with a 7950 and never had a issue!
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:24 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks so much for your great feedback and confirmation about the cvd's being the best way to go. I am keeping my eyes out for those cvd's and even the Losi ones if they show up on ebay or from a forum member. How would I remove the limiter on the stock knuckles with the xacto knife? I found these.....would they help at all? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-Zero-Ac...C-Pro-LOSB1432. Thanks!!
Sethstiles,
Your link shows different Aluminium knuckles: Zero-Ackerman and Non-Zero-Ackerman (standard, like the stock plastic ones). Make sure you get Zero-Ackerman knuckles (LOSB1432). This will help as both wheels will turn the same amount. You will need matching steering rods as well (at least a longer tie rod).
Any kind of Aluminium knuckle will provide more steering as the stock dog bones can handle! So make sure to set end points right!
Dog bones can be shaved out a little using a dremel, but you won`t gain much more steering.
I will post some pics later for removing the limiters.

Greetz
Stollenritter
Old 08-25-2017, 02:43 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Ok, found some pics for removing the limiters in my old biuld thread: Project Phoenix
Old 08-29-2017, 01:44 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

As to finding CV axle shafts for my Losi mini crawler....they are hard to find. But, might these work? Hot Racing Steel Super Duty CV Shaft Set 1/16 Revo VXL | TowerHobbies.com

Suggested Steering improvements - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering Improvements Hammer! Axial SCX-10 256 03-06-2015 03:49 PM
SCX10 Steering Improvements/Rear Steer BajaBobby Axial SCX-10 18 12-25-2012 11:14 PM
Suggested Gearing Cycleeric 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 06-09-2010 03:40 PM
TXT Steering Upgrade -- Easy with big improvements Rckcrwlr Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 20 08-09-2008 05:46 AM
Suggested Crawler OFFROADUNLIMITED1 Newbie General 5 08-24-2006 04:18 PM