Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Two New Everest-16s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2017, 01:41 PM   #1

Default Two New Everest-16s

Hello friends, first post.

Just got two new Everest-16s (Losi/Exceed/ECX/Kulak) for my Grandsons (ya right) as Christmas gifts.

Started the boys into RC with 1/18 Short Course trucks this past Spring. They enjoyed racing on our private track with the SCs and have become skilled drivers. Recently, they expressed an interest in Rock Crawlers. Since it's Winter and we usually have 4-5 months of snow cover, I thought these 1/18 crawlers would be fun to use inside the house. We have a large Family room where we can construct some indoor crawling structures so it should be fun ahead!

I have one question for you guys/gals who have experience with this model. It appears to me that if the servo was removed off the model that the weight bias would swing toward the rear of the vehicle (motor/tranny & battery). So, is there any reason I can't switch the steering servo to the opposite end of the vehicle and create even greater weight bias over one end of the crawler?

Thanks for your comments as this is my first experience with crawlers.

Two new mini crawlers ready for light modification.
RGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2017, 04:03 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Two New Everest-16s

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGunn View Post
Hello friends, first post.

Just got two new Everest-16s (Losi/Exceed/ECX/Kulak) for my Grandsons (ya right) as Christmas gifts.

Started the boys into RC with 1/18 Short Course trucks this past Spring. They enjoyed racing on our private track with the SCs and have become skilled drivers. Recently, they expressed an interest in Rock Crawlers. Since it's Winter and we usually have 4-5 months of snow cover, I thought these 1/18 crawlers would be fun to use inside the house. We have a large Family room where we can construct some indoor crawling structures so it should be fun ahead!

I have one question for you guys/gals who have experience with this model. It appears to me that if the servo was removed off the model that the weight bias would swing toward the rear of the vehicle (motor/tranny & battery). So, is there any reason I can't switch the steering servo to the opposite end of the vehicle and create even greater weight bias over one end of the crawler?

Thanks for your comments as this is my first experience with crawlers.

Two new mini crawlers ready for light modification.
That's a great idea! Very intuitive. Go for it! You'll also need to swap the motor connectors to get the crawlers going the right direction, or if it's easier, flip the throttle reversing switch on the transmitter. ;) BTW, welcome to RCC! We hope you'll like it here. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 12-01-2017 at 04:06 PM.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:09 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

You can actually just flip the entire battery/electronics tray backwards so that the battery is closer to the front. As stock E16s, you probably have the torque steer problem that makes the body lopsided. To fix that, you can put spacers on the shock body to put more tension on the shock coil. When the shocks stiffen up, it takes care of most of it.

Here is a picture of mine with a different body on it.

jlwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:23 PM   #4

Guys, thanks for the comments.

So, it's either swap ends with the steering servo, or reverse everything in the middle..., but end result will be the same. I'm going to do it.

For the second mod. I will add some travel limiter spacers in the shocks to limit down-travel, and maybe even spacers to limit a little up-travel. Will reduce overall articulation, but I'm guessing this model has more articulation than it needs. Adding down-travel limiters will cause more pre-load in the springs which along with some heavier oil should help the torque issue I would guess??? If need be I'll pre-load more with clip-on shock spring spacers.

Lastly, I'll add ECX servo trays and change to standard size high torque servos.

I've seen some great mods on this site that many have done to their mini crawlers, but I'm not going to go crazy with some of the popular changes. I think these little crawlers will serve our purpose well enough with the minimal mods. I mentioned.

If anyone would like to share which parts wear-out quickly so I can stock some parts I would appreciate that info.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:47 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGunn View Post
Guys, thanks for the comments.

So, it's either swap ends with the steering servo, or reverse everything in the middle..., but end result will be the same. I'm going to do it.

For the second mod. I will add some travel limiter spacers in the shocks to limit down-travel, and maybe even spacers to limit a little up-travel. Will reduce overall articulation, but I'm guessing this model has more articulation than it needs. Adding down-travel limiters will cause more pre-load in the springs which along with some heavier oil should help the torque issue I would guess??? If need be I'll pre-load more with clip-on shock spring spacers.

Lastly, I'll add ECX servo trays and change to standard size high torque servos.

I've seen some great mods on this site that many have done to their mini crawlers, but I'm not going to go crazy with some of the popular changes. I think these little crawlers will serve our purpose well enough with the minimal mods. I mentioned.

If anyone would like to share which parts wear-out quickly so I can stock some parts I would appreciate that info.
Another thing you can but may not need to do is that you can stiffen the shocks even more by adding internal springs. The springs from retractable ball-point pens fit perfectly. I actually needed to convert my shocks to internal shocks and remove the outer coil in order to get the clearance for the Land Rover body.

The parts hold up pretty good to abuse since the motor is so slow. The one thing you might want is a metal gear servo. Although the stock plastic one holds up well even in -20F temperatures.
jlwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwatchman View Post
Another thing you can but may not need to do is that you can stiffen the shocks even more by adding internal springs. The springs from retractable ball-point pens fit perfectly. I actually needed to convert my shocks to internal shocks and remove the outer coil in order to get the clearance for the Land Rover body.

The parts hold up pretty good to abuse since the motor is so slow. The one thing you might want is a metal gear servo. Although the stock plastic one holds up well even in -20F temperatures.
Internal springs you say..., I would never have thought about that as a possibility but the idea intrigues me???

Bye the way, I like your Land Rover body!
Old 12-03-2017, 08:17 AM   #7

Just ordered some parts to alter shocks, servos, etc. I also ordered some steel pinions to replace the stock brass. After initial running the trucks stock, I thought they might benefit from a little lower ratio. I've got both 13T & 14T coming so I can experiment.

I was wondering if anyone changes to a 13T on this model(s) instead of the stock 14T? Seems that if upgrading to taller tires/wheels that lowering the gear ratio would be mandatory???
Old 12-04-2017, 10:29 PM   #8

Been running these two crawlers in the house a little in stock form while waiting for my parts to get here. One of the steering servos 'fried' on the third battery. Totally not surprised at all. All these $100 mini RTRs normally lose the junk servos quickly. My replacement standard size servos were ordered a few days ago and should be here soon.

Once I learn and address the little issues that normally need attention with nearly all RCs, I'm hoping for some descent longevity out of these Everest-16s.

Gotta have them squared-away by Christmas so I can put them back in the boxes and wrap them-up for the Grandsons.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:37 AM   #9

Got my indoor crawl course done and ready for the Grandsons at Christmas! It's not a real large course but challenging enough for my 7-yr. & 12-yr. old Grandsons to get a feel for RC Rock Crawling.

Made a few basic, but important mods. to both trucks and they are crawling much, much better! I'll make a separate post for the truck mods. after the Holidays.

Family Room Crawl Course.

Old 12-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

The only real upgrade i made to mine was aluminum c-hubs for the front and i have replaced the motor a few times i realy enjoy my mini

And a full sized servo mine was bad when i got it
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:55 PM   #11

If you are interested in reading about mods. I made to these two crawlers you can view the post in the 'Redcat Crawlers' section (see link).

Everest-16 Mods.Post
Redcat Everest-16 with Simple Mods. & Hop-Ups

Two New Everest-16s - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New everest 10 geordyn Redcat Crawlers 12 02-25-2017 08:30 PM
Everest 10 no more! Jeepiac Redcat Crawlers 70 02-11-2017 05:36 AM
Everest 16 Rbranham607 Redcat Crawlers 3 09-01-2016 03:42 AM
Everest 10 Defords Newbie General 4 10-17-2015 09:20 PM
Everest-10 rodney m Redcat Crawlers 1 08-13-2015 07:17 AM