Notices

Thread: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2020, 04:07 PM   #2321
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 521BBF View Post
Do you guys use serrated nuts on aluminum hubs or is that not recommended?
The serrated nuts will scratch the hubs more than non-serrated, not a big deal IMO. I'm not against using them, but I am using non-serrated locknuts on mine at present. They still scratch the hubs, just not as much.
elRayRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2020, 06:02 PM   #2322
RCC Addict

Serrated nuts won't just scratch aluminum wheels, they also won't hold tightly enough. The serrations require a soft surface to bite into, but aluminum is too hard for the serrations to bite into, so only the tips of the serrations actually touch the wheels. It's better to use flat-bottomed wheel nuts and lightly sand the bottoms of the wheel nuts to make sure they're as flat as possible, for maximum contact surface against the wheel. This approach has worked for me for the past 7 years.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:05 PM   #2323
I wanna be Dave

Besides, don't even need to use serrated...just use a lil Loctite. Btw, the body for mine is finally finished. The guy painting it just sent me this photo.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:03 PM   #2324
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys. That's exactly what I was worried about with serrated nuts. How do aluminum flanged, non-serrated nylock nuts hold up on these things? Is that dumb and should I just get SS or steel?

Last edited by 521BBF; 09-23-2020 at 08:26 PM.
521BBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:40 PM   #2325
RCC Addict

I ran thin flanged aluminum nuts on my BR for awhile, but they didn't last terribly long (2 or 3 uses) since you can't crank 'em down nearly as tight as a normal steel lock nut, especially considering that there's only like 2 threads of engagement before getting to the nylon portion. A flanged steel nyloc is too tall and doesn't get full engagement on the nylon portion, kinda defeating the purpose. I've had the best luck with a non-flanged m5 nylock with a thin washer under it and red (yes, red) loctite. I didn't find myself needing to pull the wheels real often, and would usually just undo the 6 hub screws unless an axle required disassembly. I just heat up the axle with a soldering iron to soften the loctite.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:13 AM   #2326
Rock Crawler

Super Baja Rey 2.0. Watch out UDR.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...dID=LOS05021T1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:58 PM   #2327
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Thanks again. I bought those 0.185" hubs and some Yeti Score wheels. That setup has 0.082" more backspacing than the factory Raptor wheels. I need to take more detailed measurements of the wheel widths, but preliminary measurements show that the factory Raptor wheels are roughly 0.025" wider than the Scores. So, you were right, the new setup should pull the wheels/tires in a little bit more than the factory wheels.
Well sorry dudes, but I had my measurements mixed up, and the Score wheels and the 0.185" hubs have 0.082" LESS backspacing than the factory wheels. I double checked at least 6 times. Damn it! Sorry to get anyone's hopes up.

Anyone want some Score wheels and 0.185" Locked Up RC hubs?
Old 09-27-2020, 12:32 PM   #2328
Pebble Pounder

I wanted to let you guys know Vitavon has finally released 1:10 Baja Rey wheels!! With the proper offset and spacing. They fit the Proline SCT style BFG's & Hyrax. They are very high quality and look amazing on the truck. I also got my paint finished so I will add up a few picture soon.
edjo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:45 PM   #2329
Pebble Pounder

I wanted something totally different, not another Raptor, and the gen 1 body very much resembles BJ Baldwins Toyota TRD from the recoil videos...

Here is the truck with clear body
Here is the painted body

Old 09-27-2020, 01:07 PM   #2330
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjo69 View Post
I wanted something totally different, not another Raptor, and the gen 1 body very much resembles BJ Baldwins Toyota TRD from the recoil videos...

Here is the truck with clear body
Here is the painted body

Matt is a great painter. He has painted almost every clear body I have ever owned.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:15 PM   #2331
Pebble Pounder

He is, I gave him full rein of design once we hammered out the concept, the outcome blew me away. This my 4th paint job from him and I already have 2 more in the works one is a "Post Apocalyptic TT Race Truck" (based on a heavily modified Baja Rey that is in the works) and the other is a new lid for my TC7. But yes Matts work is beyond amazing.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #2332
Rock Crawler

Quote:
He is, I gave him full rein of design once we hammered out the concept, the outcome blew me away. This my 4th paint job from him and I already have 2 more in the works one is a "Post Apocalyptic TT Race Truck" (based on a heavily modified Baja Rey that is in the works) and the other is a new lid for my TC7. But yes Matts work is beyond amazing.
Here is the Baja Rey body he did for me:

Untitled by JASON MCKIMMEY, on Flickr

Old 09-27-2020, 02:50 PM   #2333
Pebble Pounder

Very nice, I have seen that paint job is his galleries!!
Old 09-27-2020, 09:05 PM   #2334

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
Super Baja Rey 2.0. Watch out UDR.

Losi: SuperBajaRey 2.0: 1/6 4wd ElecDesertTruck-Brenthel: Losi (LOS05021T1)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Need update version Baja Rey 1/10!
Paul_crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:10 PM   #2335

It's too bad that there is no KIT version Baja Rey. I would like to see RTR in color such as FOX, Rockstar, Monster, Redbull
Paul_crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:19 AM   #2336
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I wanted to let you guys know Vitavon has finally released 1:10 Baja Rey wheels!! With the proper offset and spacing. They fit the Proline SCT style BFG's & Hyrax. They are very high quality and look amazing on the truck. I also got my paint finished so I will add up a few picture soon.

Do you have a link to those wheels?
Old 09-30-2020, 09:04 AM   #2337
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Do you have a link to those wheels?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VITAVON-CNC...kAAOSwMQBfWZ-O
Old 09-30-2020, 09:19 AM   #2338
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Thanks. Do you know for a fact that they fit? Do you have them? I asked the seller if they will fit the Raptor body. He said that he thinks they will because they have zero offset. This actually makes no sense because the factory wheels have a ton of positive offset. Any less backspacing and the tires will hit the fenders (the factory wheel/tire combo hits the fenders a little bit on the Raptor version).

What's also weird about that Ebay ad is that there are two totally different wheels pictured. Which ones are they?! Good grief.

Also, he mentions that the Proline KO2 tires will fit. Well, I tried those tires on the factory wheels and they don't fit the Raptor body. They will tear the front fenders off in seconds and the rear has much less suspension travel because they hit the sides of the bed right above the wheel opening. They are really not made for this truck at all despite Proline saying that they will fit. The only way they will fit is if you use a wheel with more backspacing, and quite a bit more on the front. That is unless everyone is talking about the original body, but they don't specify.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:34 AM   #2339
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thanks. Do you know for a fact that they fit? Do you have them? I asked the seller if they will fit the Raptor body. He said that he thinks they will because they have zero offset. This actually makes no sense because the factory wheels have a ton of positive offset. Any less backspacing and the tires will hit the fenders (the factory wheel/tire combo hits the fenders a little bit on the Raptor version).

What's also weird about that Ebay ad is that there are two totally different wheels pictured. Which ones are they?! Good grief.

Also, he mentions that the Proline KO2 tires will fit. Well, I tried those tires on the factory wheels and they don't fit the Raptor body. They will tear the front fenders off in seconds and the rear has much less suspension travel because they hit the sides of the bed right above the wheel opening. They are really not made for this truck at all despite Proline saying that they will fit. The only way they will fit is if you use a wheel with more backspacing, and quite a bit more on the front. That is unless everyone is talking about the original body, but they don't specify.

They are the symmetrical style, yes I have 2 pairs, they fit the Proline BFG and Hyrax 2.2/3.0 tires, I have one of each set of tires mounted. As for hitting the gen 2 Raptor body I cannot help you, I use the gen 1 body on one truck and a conglomeration body my other project. I am pretty sure these tires came out before the gen 2 body came out.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:44 AM   #2340
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks for that info...just snagged me a set.

Quote:
Do you know for a fact that they fit? Do you have them? I asked the seller if they will fit the Raptor body.
As I just ordered mine, it'll be at least a few weeks before I receive mine (unless he shops mine via a faster method, which he might do considering how much I've ordered from him in the past). That being said, knowing Vitavon products quite well, 'fit' is usually spot-on, finish is usually outstanding, and tolerances are usually as close to "perfect" as possible.

I've got numerous Vitavon products on several vehicles, and everything has always been outstanding. If you have any questions about Vitavon Racing products, contact Squeegie, as he's played a considerable part in helping design quite a few of the products.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote

Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunder Tiger Jackal 1/10th 4wd Desert Buggy RichMTB01 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 01-19-2016 12:36 AM
Vaterra 1/10 Twin Hammers DT 1.9 4WD Desert Truck RTR spectre Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 10-01-2015 07:54 AM
HPI Mini Trophy 1/12 Scale 4WD Desert Truck constantmotion Non Crawler RC's 31 08-01-2010 09:56 PM