Notices

Thread: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2016, 05:04 PM   #241
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTDRIVER13 View Post
Casting would still require machining and it just wouldn't be cost effective. Machining a one off prototype would also not be cost effective by far.

I am in talks with metal concepts as we speak but unfortunately theirs won't be a factory spec. Their should be V2 coming out with a wider lower link mounts closer to spec but their still going to be smaller by 1/8" or so.
On the Metal Concepts website it says the axle fits the Score or the Losi with minor modifications. I'm not a fan of the universal parts that Metal Concepts are making. The only way I'd use their axle is on a custom build.

Like I mentioned in a previous post this axle uses the same gear ratio as the yeti. If you put this on the Losi it's gonna cause issues with the handling and drivetrain because it would not match the front end ratio. Not a good solution at all.. We need a Losi Baja Rey specific alloy axle. I blew a pinion bearing in the rear end from the rear housing flexing from the torque. And I'm still using grease in the center diff. Those folks who are putting thick silicone in the center diff are transferring more torque to the rear.
BobTeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2016, 08:13 PM   #242
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTeagle View Post
Like I mentioned in a previous post this axle uses the same gear ratio as the yeti. If you put this on the Losi it's gonna cause issues with the handling and drivetrain because it would not match the front end ratio. Not a good solution at all.. We need a Losi Baja Rey specific alloy axle. I blew a pinion bearing in the rear end from the rear housing flexing from the torque. And I'm still using grease in the center diff. Those folks who are putting thick silicone in the center diff are transferring more torque to the rear.

Hit up losi with anything you screw up, they will replace it free of charge! Let's just say I got a "few" things.. their customer service is top notch . You are very right on the silicone oil, it's not needed on this truck with the rear spool/locker . Run straight grease, lithium grease on ring and pinion. Will also increase run time. I would love to see a housing to factory specs. Use all factory internals no mods needed. Most importantly for me is the same geometry.
TTDRIVER13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:57 PM   #243
Pebble Pounder

Default Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

I've had a similar experience with silicone oil in the diffs, because this truck has a locker/spool it is my understanding that silicone oil is not needed as the power will be transferred to the rear regardless. Grease the diffs and lithium grease the ring and pinion. It also improved run time of about 3/4 min in my case. As far as parts damaged cause by poor quality parts do not hesitate to contact losi, they will make it right!! Let's just say I got a few parts replaced and they where upgrade to better quality parts... Their customer service is second to none! I to would love to see a factory spec axle that uses all losi components and retains the same geometry.

Last edited by TTDRIVER13; 08-05-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:10 PM   #244
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I've had a similar experience with silicone oil in the diffs, because this truck has a locker/spool it is my understanding that silicone oil is not needed as the power will be transferred to the rear regardless. Grease the diffs and lithium grease the ring and pinion. It also improved run time of about 3/4 min in my case. As far as parts damaged cause by poor quality parts do not hesitate to contact losi, they will make it right!! Let's just say I got a few parts replaced and they where upgrade to better quality parts... Their customer service is second to none! I to would love to see a factory spec axle that uses all losi components and retains the same geometry.
Very true about Losi! They will hook you up! I sent a email to Vanquish and they are working on an Axle! I hope it will be affordable😏. I really wish metal concepts who do an axle specific to the Baja Rey! They make great product at an affordable rate. I plan to reach out to SSD as well. I bought the wide center diamond axle for the Axial Score and really like it!
Old 08-06-2016, 08:43 PM   #245
RCC Addict

Quote:
I've had a similar experience with silicone oil in the diffs, because this truck has a locker/spool it is my understanding that silicone oil is not needed as the power will be transferred to the rear regardless.
Incorrect. The rear spool only guarantees that the rear wheels will split the rear axle's torque 50/50 at all times. The center diff controls whether the rear axle actually gets any torque. So some amount of limited-slip is necessary in the center diff.

- - -

I'm curious, of the people who've had torque damage to the rear drivetrain, how many were running 3S?
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:36 PM   #246
Pebble Pounder

Is it torque damage or cheap bearings?? I blew my front pinio bearings at the track this weekend...very fortunate that was all the damage done.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:46 AM   #247
RCC Addict

Good question, I have no idea. If the bearing carrier comes loose inside the bearing, the balls will lose their positions, and if they all end up on one side of the bearing, the bearing will fall apart. So, bearings with double-sided carriers are better than bearings with single-sided snap-in carriers, but I can't tell from your picture what type of bearing carrier that bearing has.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:56 AM   #248
Pebble Pounder

https://youtu.be/7D6jCm-ijak
Old 08-08-2016, 05:28 AM   #249
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
On the Metal Concepts website it says the axle fits the Score or the Losi with minor modifications. I'm not a fan of the universal parts that Metal Concepts are making. The only way I'd use their axle is on a custom build.

I shimmed my pinion with one traxxas shim. .5mm I think.
put 30k in center diff and left the front alone.

37.5wt shock oil in front shocks.

I raced it at the great lakes showdown and placed 5th :/ there was only five of us. but needless to say I had the fastest lap.

this truck can be race-able.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:56 AM   #250
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post

37.5wt shock oil in front shocks.

this truck can be race-able.

Shock oil seem rather light for track conditions. Truck can be race-able in its own class. Doesn't really stand a chance against rwirs vehicles.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #251
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Shock oil seem rather light for track conditions. Truck can be race-able in its own class. Doesn't really stand a chance against rwirs vehicles.
what I put stated above is for loose conditions. its not always the truck.. usually the driver.

for hard packed situation.. you can put an extra set of front diff gears in the rear housing.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:59 PM   #252
RCC Addict

Quote:
Stock oil weight is 30.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #253
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Is it torque damage or cheap bearings?? I blew my front pinio bearings at the track this weekend...very fortunate that was all the damage done.

I had the same thing happen in the rear end. I replaced the bearings in the rear with Boca bearings. I really don't think the issue is the bearings. Ive had this issue before on several of my axial kits and even the best bearings would fail. The problem is flexible plastics that Losi has used here. Under torque the front gearbox or rear end flexes causing abnormal stress on the bearing. Some of my Axial vehicles flexed so bad the pinion and diff gear would strip out. the only way I could fix my axial vehicles was to replace the gearbox with an aluminum one. Maybe Losi will release a TLR version of this truck which would give us better plastics. TLR plastics have less flex than Losi plastics. Anyone who knows Losi products knows this, but this is different. I think this is Vatterra plastics. If I blow another bearing I am contacting Losi about this issue.

I still thisnk this is a great truck. Box stock it is way more durable than the Axial Score!
Old 08-09-2016, 12:56 PM   #254
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
....Maybe Losi will release a TLR version of this truck which would give us better plastics. TLR plastics have less flex than Losi plastics. Anyone who knows Losi products knows this, but this is different. I think this is Vatterra plastics. If I blow another bearing I am contacting Losi about this issue.

I still thisnk this is a great truck. Box stock it is way more durable than the Axial Score!

its better for sure. a "TLR" version???? nope not happening. not unless other people create a solid axle class and the other mfr's tag along and make some.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:11 AM   #255
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
its better for sure. a "TLR" version???? nope not happening. not unless other people create a solid axle class and the other mfr's tag along and make some.
Good point. But this truck is race worthy in its own class! At the very least maybe we will see some alloy aftermarket parts to stiffen up the truck where it needs it. Flexible plastics are good for a basher in the suspension but not so great in holding the drivetrain together!
Old 08-11-2016, 06:33 AM   #256
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Good point. But this truck is race worthy in its own class! At the very least maybe we will see some alloy aftermarket parts to stiffen up the truck where it needs it. Flexible plastics are good for a basher in the suspension but not so great in holding the drivetrain together!
plastic on this truck needs to stay. 3s needs to stay away.

if people want something faster.. got beat up a slash with a 1/8th scale motor in it.

in its own class.. its just down to see who the better driver is. lol I doubt anybody would race with a yeti score. who is that stupid?
Old 08-11-2016, 08:40 AM   #257
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
plastic on this truck needs to stay. 3s needs to stay away.

if people want something faster.. got beat up a slash with a 1/8th scale motor in it.

in its own class.. its just down to see who the better driver is. lol I doubt anybody would race with a yeti score. who is that stupid?
When the Traxxas brought us our first SCT, a lot of folks laughed at the idea of a race class. Now the SCT class has nearly dominated 1/10 the class! The SCT did this because of realism, not because it handled a track better than race inspired buggies and truggies. Out of all the SCTs on the market the slash is the worst handling of them all box stock but it's still one of the most raced SCTs. That being said the Slash can be tuned to perform better.

Things could go the same way for TTs. The Axial Score much like the 2wd Slash is inferior to its successor, but has more fans and aftermarket support. My Score runs nearly dead even with my Baja Rey after a gearing change and some suspension tuning. I feel if a center diff kit was released for the Score it could be quite competitive. The way the Score and the Rey have been selling I could see Associated and Traxxas jumping on board soon!

As far as plastic vs alloy. I was referring to a rear axle and front gearbox to hold the front and rear diffs in place. Flexible plastic is good on suspension parts, but not on a gearbox. 3s with the included 10t pinion is just about perfect for the Rey! Don't knock it till you try it my RC brother! 🙂
Old 08-11-2016, 09:27 AM   #258
I wanna be Dave

Baja rey on 2s with the installed pinion is just enough and keeps it legal to race in the sct class. and id hope traxxas stays away from a solid axle vehicle...
Old 08-11-2016, 01:51 PM   #259
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Baja rey on 2s with the installed pinion is just enough and keeps it legal to race in the sct class. and id hope traxxas stays away from a solid axle vehicle...
Ahh... It just occurred to me that we are on a different frequency. I want a TT class which I feel would need to be 3s in order have the torque to keep the front end up on the jumps. You want to race your TT against SCTs. I personally would not be interested in competing against a tuned SCT. I have a Losi SCTE that I race in that class! But that's what makes this hobby so great! There are endless possibilities and everyone is free to have an opinion. Having one doesn't make someone else wrong.. Now back to my hobby😊
Old 08-11-2016, 08:16 PM   #260
Quarry Creeper

A trophy truck is amped up from a sct anyways. I totally agree with the 3s in this vehicle. The races would be great to watch!
Trazhcan is offline   Reply With Quote

Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunder Tiger Jackal 1/10th 4wd Desert Buggy RichMTB01 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 01-19-2016 12:36 AM
Vaterra 1/10 Twin Hammers DT 1.9 4WD Desert Truck RTR spectre Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 10-01-2015 07:54 AM
HPI Mini Trophy 1/12 Scale 4WD Desert Truck constantmotion Non Crawler RC's 31 08-01-2010 09:56 PM