Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2016, 07:09 AM   #81
RCC Addict

Default Re: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

woot! Love your youtube channel so cant wait to see what your thoughts are on the losi. My son loves his. Needs to see dirt though. Not asphalt!
ser3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2016, 07:35 AM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjohn929 View Post
Durable is relative. I don't think anybody would expect this to be Tekno durable, but Traxxas (or more) durable maybe. My first impression is its soft. Not really a bad thing as it will flex more then break (hopefully). My Tekno would drive through it though. But they are totally different machines. No way in hell this would make it around a track, any track for that matter as quick as my SCT410.3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bustin ya balls here. you sct4x4 guys need to chill out on the damn tracks drivin like 8th ebuugy guys man.

and maybe if we put a 4 pole castle in it on 3s we could get it to chooch faster than a 4x4sct at a track. or maybe just turn the same mount of laps... ehhh either way.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:50 AM   #83
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlingman9000 View Post
bustin ya balls here. you sct4x4 guys need to chill out on the damn tracks drivin like 8th ebuugy guys man.

and maybe if we put a 4 pole castle in it on 3s we could get it to chooch faster than a 4x4sct at a track. or maybe just turn the same mount of laps... ehhh either way.
Yeah like I said totally different machines. Both my Teknos are geared to hit 42-43 down the long straight at my local indoor track on 2S. I think the Baja is badass and a live axle race would be a blast but I don't ever see them blending in with the more race dedicated stuff. With 4x4 SCT kinda on the decline it's gonna make it even harder. I'm gonna try it out on the U4 track and see how it goes. More like a Baja style race. Years ago Thunder Tech built a truck like this, it was 2WD but it never really materialized. Hopefully these don't head down the same road.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:31 AM   #84
RCC Addict

With the yeti it felt like the class was dead in the water. HOpefully with Losi stepping up it will open the doors for more companies. oh well if it doesnt take off, at least i have the best of both worlds i guess!
Old 07-13-2016, 09:13 AM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjohn929 View Post
Yeah like I said totally different machines. Both my Teknos are geared to hit 42-43 down the long straight at my local indoor track on 2S. I think the Baja is badass and a live axle race would be a blast but I don't ever see them blending in with the more race dedicated stuff. With 4x4 SCT kinda on the decline it's gonna make it even harder. I'm gonna try it out on the U4 track and see how it goes. More like a Baja style race. Years ago Thunder Tech built a truck like this, it was 2WD but it never really materialized. Hopefully these don't head down the same road.

im looking for one of those. cant seem to find one. and I think it was 12th scale ish.

and the losi could probably hit up to 40 on a straight. but the gears will be screamin maybe. I got one in at the hobby shop yesterday. ima put one on display to look at.

I wish there was a live axle race.. that would be so much fun watching the bodyroll.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:18 AM   #86
RCC Addict

Default Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

The only thing with the losi is that it will flip over backwards trying to accelerate in such a short distance. And with the sticky surface and live axle it's going to pull all over the place. Definitely worth it though.

Last edited by Rjohn929; 07-13-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:31 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

indoors, I don't think itl flip on hard accel. if its got a good slipper.. we could manage. I like to loosen my slipper up a bit on clay. but ill crank it down in loose loamy tracks.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:37 AM   #88
RCC Addict

Is there a slipper and how do you adjust it. I know there is a center diff but i dont see any other type of adjustment. So tempted to unload my yeti and pick up another baja.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:45 AM   #89
RCC Addict

No slipper

Old 07-13-2016, 09:46 AM   #90
RCC Addict

Default Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

I haven't taken mine all apart yet but I don't think it's a center diff either.

Edit Never Mind, has a center diff so you tune it with some fluid

Last edited by Rjohn929; 07-13-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #91
RCC Addict

Hmm interesting. I thought only the front diff was the one tuneable? Im going to take it apart one day but we just managed to put the body back on and im not going through all that again. BTW, its much easier just removing the cage with the body then by doing it body first then cage. Thats a real PITA right there. Just 10 vs 30 screws!
Old 07-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #92
I wanna be Dave

somebody gon mezzup and put 40k in them there diff center.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:36 AM   #93
RCC Addict

or 5 million wt! haha
Old 07-13-2016, 06:46 PM   #94
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser3100 View Post
woot! Love your youtube channel so cant wait to see what your thoughts are on the losi. My son loves his. Needs to see dirt though. Not asphalt!
Here are my initial thoughts and some running footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70pGp7m3LAE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvyEWzgEMZ8
BobTeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:05 PM   #95
RCC Addict

I told you it was a beast! Wait till you try a 3s!
Old 07-14-2016, 06:12 AM   #96
RCC Addict

Bob or Keith, dont know which to go by! haha. Just watched your vids again and love it! Im gonna try swapping my pinion and spur on the yeti to keep up with this truck. As for the baja, how was the performance with the 3s using the stock pinion vs the spare 10t pinion? Even with the castle fan, things get pretty hot with stock gearing. One thing to note, as many others have stated, the setscrew on the transfer case side of the driveshaft is on way to tight from factory. My trusty old school losi titanium hex drivers spun once inside the setscrew and that was enough. didnt want to risk rounding out the hole. When it comes time, I will use my soldering iron to heat it up first then give it another go. For the meantime i dont think its going anywhere. the bottom SS on the DS is fine.

Also any of you guys experiencing rear wheel wobble? My left rear tire wobbles and i hate the look of it. Losi, who so far is being a completely awesome company took care of me by sending me out a complete set of wheels and tires at no charge for the trouble. Hope it helps! But its worth noting that losi is completely supportive of this truck bieng so new and all. Way to go Losi!
Old 07-14-2016, 06:38 AM   #97
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser3100 View Post
Bob or Keith, dont know which to go by! haha. Just watched your vids again and love it! Im gonna try swapping my pinion and spur on the yeti to keep up with this truck. As for the baja, how was the performance with the 3s using the stock pinion vs the spare 10t pinion? Even with the castle fan, things get pretty hot with stock gearing. One thing to note, as many others have stated, the setscrew on the transfer case side of the driveshaft is on way to tight from factory. My trusty old school losi titanium hex drivers spun once inside the setscrew and that was enough. didnt want to risk rounding out the hole. When it comes time, I will use my soldering iron to heat it up first then give it another go. For the meantime i dont think its going anywhere. the bottom SS on the DS is fine.

Also any of you guys experiencing rear wheel wobble? My left rear tire wobbles and i hate the look of it. Losi, who so far is being a completely awesome company took care of me by sending me out a complete set of wheels and tires at no charge for the trouble. Hope it helps! But its worth noting that losi is completely supportive of this truck bieng so new and all. Way to go Losi!
Lol, BobTeagle is kind of a joke for the folks that I have history with. My real name is Keith. That motor gets hot no matter what bro! Same motor in my SCBE and it gets hot too. I would surely lower to the optional 10t pinion. Less heat is always better. To me 3s with the 10t is a perfect mix of torque an speed. 10t pinion is the smallest you can put in the Losi btw. I haven't noticed any wheel wobble but I'll take a look this evening. I checked my driveshaft set screws last night and was able to remove both without any issue. I heated up mine with a lighter first. Of course you have to remove the tranny first if using a lighter so you don't melt plastic. I'm not sure why Axial has the gearing so low on the score? My score kit came with the optional 56t spur. Not sure if they include that with the RTR. But with a 56t spur, 25t pinion, and 3100kv motor on 3s it rocks! Motor doesn't get near as hot as the Losi either. Thanks for watching my videos! I have several vids for the score! Check them out.
BobTeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:46 AM   #98
I wanna be Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSw8H-HfjNQ this thing might be 4x4 sct class race worthy... with a good servo and horn... maaaaan! cant wait till they come out with the clear panels!
Old 07-14-2016, 07:57 AM   #99
Rock Crawler

How is the fit of a score body on the Rey? Like both Axial bodys better than the Losi, but like the actual truck better then the score. Would be nice it the score bodys was easy to fit on the Losi.
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:39 AM   #100
RCC Addict

Thanks Keith for the info! Awesome vids! Gonna try some of your ideas on my yeti.

Im not sure if the score body would fit on the baja. Im sure with some ingenuity anything can be done but it would take work. besides i hate taking the body off the baja. too much work involved. Eventually ill have to again as soon as aftermarket parts start coming through but as of right now this thing works and it works pretty damn good.

Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunder Tiger Jackal 1/10th 4wd Desert Buggy RichMTB01 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 01-19-2016 12:36 AM
Vaterra 1/10 Twin Hammers DT 1.9 4WD Desert Truck RTR spectre Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 10-01-2015 07:54 AM
HPI Mini Trophy 1/12 Scale 4WD Desert Truck constantmotion Non Crawler RC's 31 08-01-2010 09:56 PM