Notices

Thread: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2017, 04:53 PM   #1101
RCC Addict

Default Re: Losi lightened hex adapters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Is anyone running the optional Losi lightened hex adapters? (These are the units without the disc rotors) Just wondering if these narrow up the track even a little bit? I've got a set of wheels that would be perfect but they extend about a 1/16" of an inch beyond the fenders on both sides = fender rub. If the width of the disc comes out of the equation and is not compensated for in the lightened units, I think it would get me right where I need to be.
I've got them on my truck. They're exactly the same width as the stock hex's. The fake rotors just slide over the hex anyway, so they have no affect on width.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2017, 12:20 AM   #1102
RCC Addict

Default Re: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

I see that Hot Racing has a few new products for the Baja/Rock Rey: LRR4806
Old 05-03-2017, 01:46 AM   #1103
I wanna be Dave

HR RR parts: hot-racing.com

HR BR parts: hot-racing.com

For the RR they got aluminum a-arms with sway bar mounts, knuckles/caster blocks, and front shafts.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:26 AM   #1104
RCC Addict

Okay, the carbon-fiber lower links are actually mildly interesting.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:25 AM   #1105
I wanna be Dave

If there the same as what they make for the yeti, no thanks.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:17 PM   #1106

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Wah, wah.

Front gears held up much longer this time around with the new housing superglued together at the seam... but they finally stripped out. Pinion bearings aren't loose in the housing this time, I'm blaming the flex of the housing for letting the gear mesh open up, same as the rear did. I'm just going to pull the front driveshaft (or maybe not) and run it 2wd for awhile. The rear axle is still hanging tuff with the original gears and MC 3rd (still using the same supplied 11mm pinion bearings) Hopefully somebody is working on a new front housing, I'm not holding my breath, but I'll wait for now.

Wasn't somebody putting the Rock Rey ring and pinions into their Baja Rey? How did that work out?

I've been running the ebay kmc/general red labels for quite a few runs now and they definitely are a harder rubber than the stock tires. They don't hook up very well on hard terrain/asphalt. The benefit there is that I can setup for a turn with a slide much easier now instead of tumbling. The tread pattern has larger voids, so they actually work a bit better in soft/loose terrain. The offset is a little greater, the tires are a bit wider, and the overall height is a bit shorter than stock, which all contribute to better stability. You'll need to grind about a 2mm deep groove in the ribbing of the wheels if you want to keep your fake calipers in place. At the end of the day, they are just mediocre, but I'd buy them again for $20 for 4 tires and 4 wheels. I should probably order another set soon since I'm sure to finish these off in short order being 2wd.
I just changed my front gears as well on my Baja rey I ran about 3 battery's and now it's doing it again! I was thinking about running without the front drive shaft as well. Have you tried it yet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
tmart123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:05 PM   #1107
RCC Addict

Um... I decided to just make that grinding noise go away altogether by running another 7200mah of 3s through it. Pretty quiet now! Front shaft is still in place. The hard tires and 2wd definitely require some restraint from just hammering down through a turn, looked like Mariokart hitting a banana peel until I got the hang of it.

It's been my experience that if the gears are shot, the plastic housing probably needs to be replaced too. I really was surprised by how much longer the front end stayed together this time, the only difference being that i superglued the new housing together focused around the outer pinion bearing.

I'll eventually order up some parts to make it 4wd again, but like I said, I'll wait it out for now in hopes of someone coming out with a new housing. I had emailed Michael (?) at Metal Concepts about it a few months back, and he said he'd be looking into it after getting the a-arms finished up.

I've got 8 other cars (1 of which is still being built and eating up waaaay more than its fair share of my toy budget) and the BR is totally driveable 2wd, just doesn't hook up like an SCT that left the factory as a 2wd.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:48 PM   #1108

Nice, okay well I guess I'll just do that for now. I ordered a new housing and ring/pinion and the lightened out drive shafts or whatever they are called. That way it wont have so much slop my stock ones are pretty worn out. I'll have to try super glue this time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
tmart123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:04 PM   #1109
RCC Addict

Buy some 5mm i.d. shims while you're at it so that you can get your backlash/gear mesh dialed in while you're in there. You can get .05mm, .1mm, and .2mm thick shims. I think mine took 0.2mm between the pinion gear and inner pinion bearing to get rid of the sloppiness, leaving only the tiniest amount of freeplay.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #1110
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Losi lightened hex adapters

Quote:
I've got them on my truck. They're exactly the same width as the stock hex's. The fake rotors just slide over the hex anyway, so they have no affect on width.
Thanks @TheLetter
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:15 AM   #1111
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
If there the same as what they make for the yeti, no thanks.
Good to know.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:37 AM   #1112

moved this thread to the new rock rey section. i know its a baja rey thread but its better here than in chit chat.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:42 AM   #1113
Rock Stacker

Woohoo our own section

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
not-required is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:06 PM   #1114
Rock Crawler

So you shimmed the pinion inside the diff case?

I thought you basically shimmed the outside bearing and the driveshaft to keep the pinion gear away from the ring/bevel gear for correct mesh (so it wasn't sliding in/out all the time and bashing on the ring gears).

I'm fairly new to shimming but from what I read I thought you shimmed the side of the ring gear as required to get good mesh without the pinion riding into the ring gear and loading it up. I did it this way with the Axial diffs anyway (RR10 and Yeti) as they seem to like the pinion all the way against the inner bearing.

Quote:
Buy some 5mm i.d. shims while you're at it so that you can get your backlash/gear mesh dialed in while you're in there. You can get .05mm, .1mm, and .2mm thick shims. I think mine took 0.2mm between the pinion gear and inner pinion bearing to get rid of the sloppiness, leaving only the tiniest amount of freeplay.
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:16 PM   #1115
RCC Addict

That's correct. The goal is to get a good mesh/contact pattern with minimal backlash, not just to keep the pinion from going in and out. I didn't get too technical as far as shimming the ring gear in/out, just maximized tooth contact via pinion depth adjustment. I did put an additional shim (can't remember the size) between the outer pinion bearing and the driveshaft yoke, so that the pinion could not move inwards and rub/bind/damage the carrier.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:50 PM   #1116
I wanna be Dave

I added a 0.01mm shim on top of the 0.01mm factory shim (inside) and mesh was perfect. If you want better mesh, shim inside between bearing and pinion.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:13 PM   #1117
I wanna be Dave

Not sure what the "rules" are regarding parts. I did post to the classified section here on the forum, but I'm doubting the Baja Rey gets a lot of play there. Anyway, I've got a stock Baja Rey Axle housing with Metal Concepts 3rd member and Losi Aluminum upper track rod mount I want to offload. Unit is in great shape and I have pics. If interested, PM me. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2017, 04:17 PM   #1118
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Not sure what the "rules" are regarding parts. I did post to the classified section here on the forum, but I'm doubting the Baja Rey gets a lot of play there. Anyway, I've got a stock Baja Rey Axle housing with Metal Concepts 3rd member and Losi Aluminum upper track rod mount I want to offload. Unit is in great shape and I have pics. If interested, PM me. Thanks!

If you're not sure about the rules you should start by reading them.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:09 AM   #1119
I wanna be Dave

[QUOTE=Rjohn929;5705317]If you're not sure about the rules you should start by reading them.[/QUOTE

I did. It stated I couldn't advertise/market the parts outside of the classifieds, but it was not CLEAR about whether or not I could mention the part being over at the classifieds. That is why I was not sure. It must be nice going through life knowing and being certain of everything. I'm glad you took time out of your day to be a smart a55 and inform me. Thanks so much for your help.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:13 PM   #1120
RCC Addict

I take it that you have a nice new VP axle? Great deal for somebody, would be good for a scratch built/ conversion TT build.

Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunder Tiger Jackal 1/10th 4wd Desert Buggy RichMTB01 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 01-19-2016 12:36 AM
Vaterra 1/10 Twin Hammers DT 1.9 4WD Desert Truck RTR spectre Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 10-01-2015 07:54 AM
HPI Mini Trophy 1/12 Scale 4WD Desert Truck constantmotion Non Crawler RC's 31 08-01-2010 09:56 PM