BGR fab is working on one
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #1142
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Time for a little update. I just started pulling the rear axle apart to verify my last breakage and had a bit of a surprise. The ring and pinion are still good and all the bearings spin freely (I'll be replacing them anyway) but the ring gear/carrier screws had all sheared! That would explain the pop that I heard. They're all broken at about the same length, so I don't think anything backed out first (could be wrong) though there is a new "machined" groove inside the 3rd member.

I don't really think this is an area that needs upgrading since my last 2 packs were run in 2wd, on asphalt, pretty much full throttle the whole time, and I wouldn't consider that to be "normal" circumstances. It probably just went from ridiculous wheelspin to full traction in an instant and something had to give. I'll probably still order up the RR gears, but I'll do a little more digging to see if there's room in the case to put a slightly larger/higher grade machine screw in there.
This is a known issue, your definitely not the only person. Traxxas has some 2.5x10mm flat head or check amain for protek 12.9 grade hardware. I went with HR aluminum diff cup for twin hammers and 12.9 grade hardware to avoid any troubles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange peel View Post
Are there any happy VP axle housing owners out there? Id like to hear from someone thats been running one. I just lost another inner pinion bearing yesterday and im done investing in 5x10 bearings. SSD third member definitely an option im looking at but I really like VP's bearing caps in their other housings and the almost no gear deflection that comes with aluminum housings. Id appreciate any feedback.
I bought ssd 3rd member but ended up getting a vp housing. I haven't ran it but I'm loving the vp housing so far. Fit and finish is awesome and will be bulletproof so no more worries. But either choice is good and definitely needed.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 03:55 PM   #1143
RCC Addict

Good thinking on the TH diff cup! I'll add that to my list.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:09 PM   #1144
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Good thinking on the TH diff cup! I'll add that to my list.
It comes with 2x6mm screws, so I went with protek 12.9 2x8mm flat head. Also another thing to note, if your using it in the rear, the stock locker doesn't fit all the way so it needs dremel work (machining wasn't finished on the slots). But if your using the stock spider gears, they fit fine.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:36 PM   #1145
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
It comes with 2x6mm screws, so I went with protek 12.9 2x8mm flat head. Also another thing to note, if your using it in the rear, the stock locker doesn't fit all the way so it needs dremel work (machining wasn't finished on the slots). But if your using the stock spider gears, they fit fine.
So it should work perfect on the from diff. Mine just sheared the screws yesterday.

I know JEC racing was thinking about producing diff cups.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
not-required is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:46 PM   #1146
I wanna be Dave

Yup front and center using stock spider gears works no problem.

Ya I saw JEC mention he could but I didn't wanna wait plus he's having family health problems so it could be a while.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:35 AM   #1147
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Yep, I see exactly what you're talking about now. I didn't have much time tonight, so I'll do some Dremel work later in the week to get the locker to drop all the way in the diff cup. I don't know if I'm better off removing material from the locker, or the cup, but I'll make something happen!

Old 05-18-2017, 08:05 AM   #1148

Now I can wrap up the Lofton Replica Rey. I think I only need the number plates for the back now, which I'll have to hand make I guess. Super happy with it.

as compared to the real deal. BFG logos were replaced with proline ones, and Ford logos were replaced with castle. Glad I had lots of spare decals floating around.

Ltzerge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:31 PM   #1149
I wanna be Dave

I used this: https://m.lowes.com/pd/Dremel-Tungst...FUpNfgodQVQDMQ

I thought about cutting the spool but decided to do the cup so there wouldn't be any chance of the spool failing. Dremel both of the 90 degree corners in each slot, center doesn't matter. Use the last 1/4" of the bit and go up and down till it flush.

Obviously there's better ways like an end mill bit and drill press and vise to hold it. But I didn't have the right bit or a drill press vise to hold it.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:49 PM   #1150
RCC Addict

Who here has made the switch to 17mm hubs? I'm just about due for new tires/wheels again and was intrigued by the SC8 beadlocks with 17mm hexes.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:01 PM   #1151

How can i lock my center diff on my baja rey? I heard a guy at my local hobby shop say something about using a locker out of the vattera twin hammers..? I tried to find one but havent been able too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
tmart123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:10 PM   #1152
RCC Addict

VTR332000 is what you need.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:28 AM   #1153
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Who here has made the switch to 17mm hubs? I'm just about due for new tires/wheels again and was intrigued by the SC8 beadlocks with 17mm hexes.

the only reason I could see to make the switch to 17mm hubs is if you keep stripping out your hexes on the wheels. just seems like its time to replace your wheel nuts. ive had mine replaced twice.

on the otherhand... I think de is the only one currently producing rims for the sc8. I have a sc8 myself.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #1154
RCC Addict

It's not so much about stripping the hex's, just that I have never bothered reusing glue-on wheels and just replace them at the same time as the tires. The only benefit I see, for me, with beadlocks on this truck is quick/easy tire changes. If the wheel sees a bunch of sets of tires, it stands to reason that the 12mm hex's would start showing some wear, so 17mm's would be of benefit...

But what it really comes down to is cost. I've found a couple sets of SC8 wheel/tire combo's for $50ish and that seems like a good alternative for the Baja Rey, add in the beadlock feature and it sounds like it could be a winner? I believe the tires are slightly taller than the typical SCT tire (kind of like the BR's stock tires), aren't they?
Old 05-25-2017, 07:28 AM   #1155
I wanna be Dave

no, any stock sct tire is used on the sc8. the only tires I have come across on the tall side for sct are the Baja rey ones. I have a bin full of sct tires glued on rims. old new or whatever. the beadlocks don't hold a bead as well as a proper glued tire. just my opinion, and from a lot of racing beadlocks wouldn't hold up.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:31 AM   #1156

Are there optional shock springs for the stock Rock Ray Baja Ray.

Last edited by Shoe; 05-25-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:40 PM   #1157
RCC Addict

Had a little fun in the Pismo dunes this morning, it did much better than anticipated being 2wd. I borrowed a pair of 6 scoop Vaterra paddles for this run.

Mid-air corrections were a little tougher, but the Baja Rey was still quite controllable. We were consistently landing 20-25 feet out from the top of this dune without much drama:

Besides that my 3 year old was getting stuck frequently, I kind of like this truck as a 2wd in the sand. The erevo wasn't any faster on 4s with 4 paddles, and it ended up with 2 broken axles. My Foff style Wraith also went for it's maiden run, it was the only car we brought that could climb anything I pointed it at... from a dead stop... at the base of a dune.

No action shots, but here's my dedicated sand car:

Old 05-29-2017, 08:13 PM   #1158
RCC Addict

Back to my new wheel thoughts... I kind of gave up on the SC8 tires/wheels since CM9000 said the tires they came with weren't any taller than normal SCT tires, and getting 17mm adapters that put the wheel in the right place could end up being an expensive guessing game.

Then I happened upon the Axial Yeti Score tires, they're actually just a bit taller than the BR's tires standing 4.72" tall, but still narrow(ish) at 41mm and they fit standard SCT 2.2/3.0 wheels. I've never seen them in person, but even if they use Axials harder (r30?) compound, they'll still hook up better than my rock hard ebay tires. But why stop there?

In the quest for wheels that won't strip, I thought " why not use slw hubs?" The few slw compatible sct wheels that I knew of were $$$ aluminum beadlocks which defeated my goal of having an inexpensive wheel that would last long enough to see the tires mounted to them go bald. Since I was already sold on the Yeti Score tires, I also noticed that their sct sized wheels use slw hubs. I found a set of new takeoff score tires and wheels that were preglued for a fair price, so I figured, why not? I found a youtube clip where someone put the same wheels on his SCBE and ended up with 225 slw hubs for a perfect fit. I'll hold off on ordering aluminum hubs until I can measure the difference from using the plastic yeti hubs. I didn't dig too deep to see what the consensus among Yeti Score owners is regarding these wheels, fingers crossed that this works out!
Old 05-30-2017, 06:35 AM   #1159
Rock Crawler

I run Axial Yeti Score wheels and tires on my Losi SCBE and they have held up fine on 2S. The wheels are licensed Method Wheels and the tires are licensed BFG's. Not sure how well they hook compared to stock but I do know the SCBE and Baja Rey use the same tires stock.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:14 AM   #1160
RCC Addict

Went to the dunes again yesterday, I still had the paddles on my cars, so why not? I met up with a couple other local rc enthusiasts and ran until everyone was broken or out of batteries. I started missing my 4wd on the BR whenever I went off my intended line, or ended up in the tall dune grass, luckily my 6 year old was a good sport about retrieving it.

Here's yesterday's group:

Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunder Tiger Jackal 1/10th 4wd Desert Buggy RichMTB01 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 01-19-2016 12:36 AM
Vaterra 1/10 Twin Hammers DT 1.9 4WD Desert Truck RTR spectre Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 10-01-2015 07:54 AM
HPI Mini Trophy 1/12 Scale 4WD Desert Truck constantmotion Non Crawler RC's 31 08-01-2010 09:56 PM