Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2017, 05:14 PM   #1161
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

How do you find the sand re: gearboxes, dogbones/unis/driveshafts and diffs etc? I've wondered about taking my stuff in sand but figured it would get absolutely everywhere and likely destroy things would a rather laborious complete and utter tear down and clean afterwards.
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2017, 06:57 PM   #1162
RCC Addict

I wouldn't say that it's any worse than the grainy dirt that I normally run in, but it definitely gets EVERYWHERE. Part of the problem is that the beach sand is salty (even the nice dry sand that's a little ways inland) and will rust things that you didn't know could rust if you don't rinse it with fresh water, blow it dry, and oil any metal parts immediately when you return home. I also run the rear driveshaft with the female portion at the top/transmission side, which seems to help prevent dirt from getting stuck in there. I haven't pulled the motor plate to have a look in the transmission yet, but I had some tape covering the seam already, so hopefully all is well in there. Sand will definitely suck your batteries down faster too since the motor is under load pretty much the whole time. My front diff was already blown and the rear gears had some rough spots from when I had previously sheared the 4 screws on the ring gear, but it doesn't seem any worse off now after 2 beach/dune days... they both still need rebuilds! I also pack the axle housings full of marine grease to prevent sand from finding its way in, it seems to be working well. If my 4wd was working, I think I'd still just run rear paddles to keep the load on the front end light.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:12 PM   #1163
RCC Addict

Yeah, don't run in beach sand unless you've replaced all the screws, nuts, and bearings with stainless.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:58 PM   #1164

Im bit done yet but here is a preview of what i have going.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
tmart123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:04 PM   #1165

Im not* done yet. I ordered 123mm rcrun shocks for the rear i also have 103mm internal spring shocks to run duel shocks in the front since it is still pretty soft even with the stock br springs on the kings

Old 05-30-2017, 10:06 PM   #1166

I plan on getting the yeti raptor body but im a chevy fan... has anyone put a chevy body on the rey yet? And how does it fit?

Old 05-31-2017, 07:00 PM   #1167

Didnt expect to get the rear shocks so soon! Stoked!

Old 06-01-2017, 07:33 PM   #1168
RCC Addict

I received my Yeti SCORE tires/wheels today. As suspected (and mentioned by "BobTeagle" earlier in this thread) the Axial Method 105 sct wheels look like they'll fit perfect with 225 slw hubs. I don't believe he was using the Yeti's BFGoodrich KR2's though, but they look really good on here!

I can see the benefit of adding a bit more height to the bumpstops to keep the taller tires off of the bodywork. I haven't found any off brand/inexpensive .225" hubs (price aside, I'd prefer the import ones simply because they use 3mm hardware, but the smallest I could find was 11mm) so I'll order some VP's this weekend if none turn up in the classifieds.

I'm thinking that this setup will be just the ticket for my non-competetive offroad use (I hate to use the term "basher" as that just sounds like someone who doesn't care about their stuff) with the slightly more aggressive tread, minor increase in ground clearance, and hopefully greater wheel durability. I'll be sure to post up pics as soon as I get my hubs.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:32 PM   #1169
Rock Crawler

Do those remote reservoirs actually work? I.e do they contain oil?
Old 06-01-2017, 11:40 PM   #1170
RCC Addict

I don't see any clamps to keep the tubing connections from leaking under pressure, so I'm going to guess they're non-functional.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:23 PM   #1171

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRunning View Post
Do those remote reservoirs actually work? I.e do they contain oil?
They do contain oil. they have small threaded sleeves that "clamp" the hose to the shock.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:51 AM   #1172
Quarry Creeper

I always thought they were fake on the kings too , they look lush
Did you make then yourself or did you buy them like that ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willyg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:31 AM   #1173

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyg1981 View Post
I always thought they were fake on the kings too , they look lush
Did you make then yourself or did you buy them like that ?

I bought them on eBay for 25$ they are called rcrun 123mm i just used my king stickers that came with my front shocks. You can kind of see the sticker that came on it in this picture.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:35 AM   #1174
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmart123 View Post
I bought them on eBay for 25$ they are called rcrun 123mm i just used my king stickers that came with my front shocks. You can kind of see the sticker that came on it in this picture.

Ahh I see that'll be why then ,they do look smart tho

willyg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #1175

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyg1981 View Post
Ahh I see that'll be why then ,they do look smart tho

Thanks! I just finished getting my yeti raptor body on still trying to find some wheels and tires that will fit and still clear the fenders. Also still waiting for my front shocks to come in its been about a Month now.. haha havent Mounted the spares yet.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:49 AM   #1176
RCC Addict

Does anyone know of a place that has los232019 (rock rey ring & pinion) in stock? I would like to order 2 sets of them along with another front bulkhead, but I'm striking out! Horizon said they won't be in stock until September!
Old 06-05-2017, 12:23 PM   #1177
Pebble Pounder

Anyone pack bearings?? Going to try it and see if it prolongs the life of them. By far my favorite rc of all time but the worst reliability... *

TTDRIVER13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:57 PM   #1178
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Does anyone know of a place that has los232019 (rock rey ring & pinion) in stock? I would like to order 2 sets of them along with another front bulkhead, but I'm striking out! Horizon said they won't be in stock until September!
I checked last night and couldn't find any either. I should have bought some a while back when they were in stock. Now knowing they won't have any till Sept, is a bummer. Lol.

You could go with the BR gears for the time being, since your building both. They will add a hair more speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTDRIVER13 View Post
Anyone pack bearings?? Going to try it and see if it prolongs the life of them. By far my favorite rc of all time but the worst reliability... *
It might help metal shielded bearings keep the dirt out, but that's probably it. There's specific oil meant for bearings, grease probably just adds more friction. Just get some quality bearings and be done.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #1179
Rock Crawler

How quickly are you chewing out bearings?

It's all relative I guess as 3S on the RR is like running a Yeti with a 4700kv motor on 3S...that is honestly how fast it would be and no one would expect a Yeti with that setup to last long at all with that crazy level of speed.

The RR/BR seems to handle abuse with ease but desperately needs larger bearings to handle constant 3S usage as it's the trucks Achilles heal. I guess you could change out bearings probably every few weeks but without a modified bulkhead, centre gearbox and rear end, I'm not sure of the solution atm.

Maybe some high end ceramics might help...I'm no bearing expert but some RC guys I've chatted too have raved about how long high end ceramics can last when they were chewing through regular steel units.

After near 4 months, my bearings were in pretty good condition for 95% 2S usage. Many packs of hard driving.

It's kind of amazing and simultaneously disappointing that the RR/BR can survive major abuse but undersized bearings just kill it dead. If Losi had just spec'd decent sized bearings, the truck would be unbelievably tough.

Owners really need SSD, VP, HR etc to step up and CNC the 3 housings with larger bearings. Also produce replacement gears as it's a joke that there is limited part support available for like 6 months with newly launched trucks. I feel for guys that are down and have to basically retire their trucks for the entire next season in the hope that in 3 months time, they might be available. That is really lame from HH/Losi IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTDRIVER13 View Post
Old 06-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #1180
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
I checked last night and couldn't find any either. I should have bought some a while back when they were in stock. Now knowing they won't have any till Sept, is a bummer. Lol.

You could go with the BR gears for the time being, since your building both. They will add a hair more speed.
I was actually going to put the RR gears in my BR to try to extend replacement intervals. Even with a new set of BR gears to fix the front, I'd still need the housing/bulkhead, so I better get one coming while there's still some available! Maybe my BR will survive the summer as a 2wd?

Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunder Tiger Jackal 1/10th 4wd Desert Buggy RichMTB01 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 01-19-2016 12:36 AM
Vaterra 1/10 Twin Hammers DT 1.9 4WD Desert Truck RTR spectre Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 10-01-2015 07:54 AM
HPI Mini Trophy 1/12 Scale 4WD Desert Truck constantmotion Non Crawler RC's 31 08-01-2010 09:56 PM