Notices

Thread: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2018, 05:29 AM   #1381
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAREY2017 View Post
Looking good man! Hot racing trailing arms are next in my list, how are yours holding up. I like those more then the ones from metal concept. What rear light bar is that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I first upgraded to the Losi Aluminum trailing arms. But, like all the other versions out there, they rely on plastic rod ends. It seemed like every time the truck took even a light tumble, it would snap one of them off. The HR units are a once piece design with the rod end incorporated right in to the aluminum, so zero chance of it snapping off. I would say the truck has taken some of its biggest "diggers" since I put them on and they are still perfect. Honestly, I could do without the carbbon fiber plating on the outsides of them, but they mostly appear black or charcoal gray on the truck.

The light bar is from GearHead RC which you can find at RPP Hobby. They have different sizes and color combos available. This is the KOH version.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2018, 05:36 AM   #1382
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyracer View Post
is there anything to note when buying a new set of wheels for the baja rey? I don't care for the mock disc brakes, I'm looking at a lot of proline wheels like the trencher, blockade and interco. Are there any you would recommend?

My wheels are wonky and I heard it's the plastic not the tire fitting. Anyway I would like to purchase some new ones, thanks in advance.
The biggest thing to look out for when buying new wheels for the Baja Rey (or any vehicle really) is the off-set. I myself have not used ProLine wheels on my Baja Rey, but I know a lot of people here on the forums have and are having good success. I have run and used them on my Slash 4x4's and ProLine makes a good product. The tire selection available for the ProLine wheels is going to be more of a "true" short course tire though, so you will lose some height / diameter when compared to the Losi Baja Claws.

As long as you're good with that, the ProLines should work out great for you.

Personally, I think this truck needs to be run a bit "loose", so I like the Baja Claws which don't have the large knobs or treads like the Trenchers, etc. I think you'll find that with too much bite, you'll just constantly traction roll this truck and frustrate the hell outta yourself. I turn this truck nearly as much with the throttle/back end as I do the servo!
Old 01-04-2018, 06:34 AM   #1383
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
The biggest thing to look out for when buying new wheels for the Baja Rey (or any vehicle really) is the off-set. I myself have not used ProLine wheels on my Baja Rey, but I know a lot of people here on the forums have and are having good success. I have run and used them on my Slash 4x4's and ProLine makes a good product. The tire selection available for the ProLine wheels is going to be more of a "true" short course tire though, so you will lose some height / diameter when compared to the Losi Baja Claws.

As long as you're good with that, the ProLines should work out great for you.

Personally, I think this truck needs to be run a bit "loose", so I like the Baja Claws which don't have the large knobs or treads like the Trenchers, etc. I think you'll find that with too much bite, you'll just constantly traction roll this truck and frustrate the hell outta yourself. I turn this truck nearly as much with the throttle/back end as I do the servo!
Axial Wheels and tires from the Yeti TT fit and they also accept Vanquish hubs so you can adjust your offset as needed and the hubs are aluminum so you don't have to worry about rounding them out. The Yeti TT tires are the same slightly oversized diameter as the Losi baja claws.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:08 AM   #1384
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyracer View Post
is there anything to note when buying a new set of wheels for the baja rey? I don't care for the mock disc brakes, I'm looking at a lot of proline wheels like the trencher, blockade and interco. Are there any you would recommend?

My wheels are wonky and I heard it's the plastic not the tire fitting. Anyway I would like to purchase some new ones, thanks in advance.

Get some proline f11 beadlocks. Iv been trying just about every tire out there and if you’re not concerned about scale I think the badlands are really good, they are a little wider but they seem to last and hook up in just about every condition. I just put on some trenchers and I think they are my new favorite tire. Some people don’t like them because of traction roll but it’s not bad. After getting use to the tire it rarely happens to me and you can still slide it around when you want. Personally I like a tire that hooks up not one that slides around everywhere like the stock tires. I have 6 to 8 packs on them and hardly any signs of wear

BAJAREY2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:09 PM   #1385
I wanna be Dave

Welp, I sprayed off the blue and white RTR body and it's good and thrashed. The cab is in tact, but the hood is cracked and creased up front, and the right side attachment tab is broken off. Rear fenders also have tabs cracked off. I'm going to Frankenstein it with zip ties and keep it as a basher. In the mean time, I put the Shelf Queen on so I can gauge my offset when the new RC4WD wheels arrive. They come with two different sets of hubs, and if my calculations were on, I should be good. Worst case, I've got a buddy who can mill some material down at the back of the wheels.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2018, 01:49 PM   #1386
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
12 screws to get the body and cage off the 1/10 Baja rey. id imagine its the same on the super Baja rey. since it is just bigger in size, id imagine its not much different. the front case isn't hard to get to. an hour at the max if you are moving slow enough.
10 minutes is too long. It's more that everything including the steering has to come out. It's a bad design no matter how you look at it.
mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:38 PM   #1387
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Welp, I sprayed off the blue and white RTR body and it's good and thrashed. The cab is in tact, but the hood is cracked and creased up front, and the right side attachment tab is broken off. Rear fenders also have tabs cracked off. I'm going to Frankenstein it with zip ties and keep it as a basher. In the mean time, I put the Shelf Queen on so I can gauge my offset when the new RC4WD wheels arrive. They come with two different sets of hubs, and if my calculations were on, I should be good. Worst case, I've got a buddy who can mill some material down at the back of the wheels.

That body looks awesome! Did you paint it yourself

Old 01-04-2018, 06:55 PM   #1388
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That body looks awesome! Did you paint it yourself

Thanks man! I sure did.

The green color doesn’t represent as well in photos as it does in person though.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:59 PM   #1389
Quarry Creeper

I like the old school fox design. Did you put a template on the side the paint or are they decals

Old 01-05-2018, 05:57 PM   #1390
RCC Addict

Quote:
Good thorough cleaning and maintenance tonight on the old Baja Rey. Completely blew it apart, cleaned out everything and threw it back together. The SSD front bulkhead was perfect when I checked it out. Bearings still completely smooth and I run it almost entirely on 3s. I've got some new RC4WD raceline short course wheels coming, new rubber and foams, and a new body. She should be good to go this Spring, or Winter, if we ever get a thaw! Last pic is what I was up against when I started. Had plenty of wet, muddy runs late Fall and early Winter. I bet I pulled a half a pound of crud and dirt of the car, not including the body!
Good lord, you need to rinse that sucker off after you run it from time to time.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:48 AM   #1391
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I like the old school fox design. Did you put a template on the side the paint or are they decals

They are decals. There’s no way I’d have the patience to create stencils and spray.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:54 AM   #1392
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Good lord, you need to rinse that sucker off after you run it from time to time.
I know right!? Lmao! It was just constant rain, sleet and wetness here for a while and I was running her just about every day. I did wipe her down a bit between runs, but I knew I was do for a full rebuild any way.

On another note, I got the RC4WD aluminum SC wheels. They look awesome, but alas, my calculations were not quite on and the offset has them sitting out to far off the wheel hexes, even with the narrow hubs. I’ve got to decide if I want to have my buddy mill them down and use them on the Baja Rey (there’s plenty of material to safely do this), or use them on my new Traxxas 1/10 Rally which they fit perfectly as they sit.

Looks like i would need to take about 3mm worth of material to get them tucked on the Baja Rey.

Last edited by mewalsh100; 01-06-2018 at 07:22 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:24 AM   #1393
I wanna be Dave

Pics of the RC4WD SC wheels. They are pretty sweet looking with scale hex hardware and the tool for it included.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2018, 08:11 AM   #1394
Quarry Creeper

I’d say run them. Iv seen a few builds with those wheels and yeah they stick out a little but they look so good

Old 01-06-2018, 08:23 AM   #1395
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I’d say run them. Iv seen a few builds with those wheels and yeah they stick out a little but they look so good

I’m going to take some more measurements today. They’re real close.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #1396
Quarry Creeper

Do you know how much each wheel weighs?

Old 01-06-2018, 09:03 AM   #1397
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Do you know how much each wheel weighs?

201 grams with tire and foam on my scale. By comparison, the stock/RTR tire, foam and wheel weigh 116 grams.

So running four of these wheels adds 340 grams to the vehicle.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #1398
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
201 grams with tire and foam on my scale. By comparison, the stock/RTR tire, foam and wheel weigh 116 grams.

So running four of these wheels adds 340 grams to the vehicle.

That’s not bad. I don’t think they would be heavy enough to start snapping axle and driveshafts

Old 01-06-2018, 01:54 PM   #1399
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That’s not bad. I don’t think they would be heavy enough to start snapping axle and driveshafts

No - I think they’ll be fine in that regard.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:34 AM   #1400
RCC Addict

Aluminum wheels are too heavy for a go-fast vehicle.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote

Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunder Tiger Jackal 1/10th 4wd Desert Buggy RichMTB01 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 01-19-2016 12:36 AM
Vaterra 1/10 Twin Hammers DT 1.9 4WD Desert Truck RTR spectre Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 10-01-2015 07:54 AM
HPI Mini Trophy 1/12 Scale 4WD Desert Truck constantmotion Non Crawler RC's 31 08-01-2010 09:56 PM