Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2018, 11:41 AM   #1641
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

How’s the offset on the wheels, do they stick out much more then stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BAJAREY2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2018, 04:09 PM   #1642
I wanna be Dave

If they do, it's not much at all. I'd say by eyeballing it, possibly 1/8", but definitely no more than that. I know Keith at BulletProofRC on youtube ran them on a stock Baja Rey body with no issues. I think I've got that little bit more clearance with the Proline Raptor body too, so I don't anticipate any issues.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #1643
Quarry Creeper

The raptor body fenders are flared out a little more but I still had to do some trimming on the front cause it would rub when turning. On hard landings the tires hit the body in the front as well and that was with proline beadlocks and tires that are a little shorter the the bf’s.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:05 PM   #1644
Quarry Creeper

Got my SSD driveline installed today, so much better then the hot racing one. The HR one was to long, when the rear end was full extended the trans would get bound up. I had to use 2 proline bumpstops in each rear shock as limiters to where it wouldn’t bind. The ssd is perfect and to my surprise is pretty light.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:14 PM   #1645
Quarry Creeper

Also put my RPM bumper on. It so so much better then stock. I like how it sticks out farther and the skid plate is much wider. Going to test it out later today. Iv bought and sold 5 rc’s since Iv had my rey and don’t plan on getting rid of it. Still one of my favorites. Since Iv 3s proofed it haven’t had any problems and still running strong.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:57 PM   #1646
Pebble Pounder

This thread has inspired me to go ahead and order the BND version of the BR. Seems like out of all the 1/10 SCT and Live Axle options this one requires the least amount of aftermarket input for the most amount of performance for scale driving, (I have a truck for bashing). That and all of the key pieces are supported by 1-2 excellent options. I ordered the truck yesterday and already picked up the PL shocks (F&R), SSD third member, RPM bumper and upper a-arms and some limiter straps for the rear. I have a Mamba X that I will match up with an appropriate CC sensored motor and drop that in later as I am addicted the the BT-link for the ESC on two other trucks, that and a full set of desert lights. So happy to have sifted through this thread, its loaded with excellent information, that's par for the course for RCCRAWLER..... Thanks guys, Ed

Last edited by edjo69; 12-10-2018 at 04:04 PM.
edjo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #1647
Quarry Creeper

You won’t be disappointed. The truck is a blast to drive. Unfortunately you’re going to have to replace the front pinion bearings after a couple of runs so I’d pick up the ssd front bulkhead while you’re at it. After you get all the bearings replaced you should be good to go. Once you’re in there you can swap out center diff fluid and grease front diff. If you plan on running it on 3s I’d get the vanquish rear axle housing. It uses 14mm pinion bearings and Looks great on the truck.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:05 PM   #1648
Pebble Pounder

Is this truck going to be discontinued anytime soon or will it stick around like the slash? I worry about Horizon products as they have a history of discontinued helicopters and airplanes.
Xrayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:12 PM   #1649
Quarry Creeper

Hard to say but hopefully not. There are now more aftermarket parts for it more then ever and they just came out with the bnd version so I think it will stick around for awhile.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:17 AM   #1650
Pebble Pounder

If its anything like the Mini 8ight it could be around for years, they are on their 4th or 5th version of that car/truggy and its still going pretty strong.

BR2017: the SSD front bulkhead and the VQ rear axle housing are on the list. I just want to make sure I totally dig the truck before dropping too much into it, the shocks, ESC/motor are items I can use on other trucks so I had no problem getting those and the RPM items and SSD 3rd member weren't too expensive and seemed important as first upgrades. My truck came in yesterday I am going to go and get it and a HS7955 after work tonight, so I will be posting up a bit later.....
Old 12-14-2018, 10:20 AM   #1651
Quarry Creeper

Nice! I ran mine in the mud and then did a full tear down and changed bearings and diff fluid. Hopefully have it ready to go this weekend. Picked up a nitro that I hope to play with too

Old 12-15-2018, 09:21 AM   #1652
Pebble Pounder

I picked it up last night along with the servo I mentioned and a 5000mah 40c Venom hard batt, any idea what kind of run times I can expect? Anyway off to work, my weekends are Sun/Mon, so no play time yet. I did notice that the roof LED light bar was installed upside down, at least if I compare it to every picture I have found out there, not to mention its pointing up at the sky!! I will pull a few body panels off tonight and flip over the light bar, add a TX operated on/off switch to it, swap connectors on the batt. and I should have it ready for its maiden voyage on Sun if the weather holds!! Also I forgot to mention this is the first BR I have seen in person and I freaking love it!!!! Talk about gobs of plush suspension!! Still super excited, Ed...

Last edited by edjo69; 12-15-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #1653
Quarry Creeper

I’m lucky if I get 12-15 minutes of continued use on a track. That’s with a 2s gens ace 5000 50c and same with my 5200 3s

Old 12-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #1654
Pebble Pounder

That's a decent run time considering the size. I actually just saw it was a 30c, I thought I got the 40c, doesn't matter, it was just a battery to get me going, my next batts will be Gens. I have taken out the interior to do a bit of detailing while that piece is clean (painting helmets, harnesses, dash details etc..) and also need to flip the light bar today, after that I will button her back up, bind her up to my DX5 and first runs will be tomorrow (wife duty today). I will post b4 and after pictures of the driver "pan" way later tonight....E
Old 12-19-2018, 11:58 PM   #1655
RCC Addict

Playing with photobucket again, I thought this was a cool (albeit grainy) pic of my Baja Rey a month or so ago at our local track:

photo Screenshot_20181126-223123_Gallery_zpsoufr1grd.jpg
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:41 PM   #1656
Pebble Pounder

Looks good! I just got 5 packages of goodies today for mine, a full set of Gear Head lights, CC 1410-3800 motor for my Mamba X, RC4WD Hi-Lift jack, 2 fire extinguishers, racing harnesses etc.... Going to put the Prolines on tonight and the RPM bits, finish the driver tub (helmets finally dry from painting a few days ago) install a WP BEC, 7955, blah blah blah and hopefully take it out for its maiden voyage tomorrow or Monday at the latest!!! I wish this thread was more active.....E
Old 12-23-2018, 10:42 PM   #1657
RCC Addict

I meant to post it with that last pic, but I wanted to share some programming changes I made that really helped me keep consistent lap times around the track. As much as I love having enough braking force to throw it in a "stoppy", I've been playing around with dialing it back. Even with 75% max brake the truck would occasionally grab enough traction to get the rear wheels off the ground, and it was always under heavy braking that I'd first hear the angry crunching noises from the front end, so I tried 50% max brake force. I can't lock 'em up any more, but after half a day running around the track, I never felt like the brakes were lacking.... but that was largely due to change #2...

Drag brake. While it's probably old news to seasoned racers, with the drag break set to just 5%, I pretty much never needed to touch the brakes! I was worried that the drag brake would be intrusive, but boy was I wrong! The Baja Rey is obviously a lot more lively when it comes to chassis movement when compared to your typical ifs/irs truck, especially when transitioning from full throttle to heavy braking. With just that little bit of drag brake, the change in pitch of the chassis is barely noticeable, so it's easy to hold your line through a turn and continue holding it while getting back on the throttle. I know it's a minor change, but it was exactly the "ah ha!" moment I needed to really feel comfortable driving this truck at its limits (okay, okay, it can go faster, but my brain can't process any faster!) Just thought I'd share.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 10:00 AM   #1658
Pebble Pounder

Are those CC numbers or stock? Also is that the Raptor body?, i love how it looks, I am a Toyota fan though and the stock body is pretty Toyota looking, esp if you compare it to BJ Balwins "Cuba video truck", and I have Toyota livery for it, albeit in a "custom team" configuration. Anyway thanks for the braking tips!!
Old 12-28-2018, 02:33 PM   #1659
I wanna be Dave

Finally got started on my Baja Rey rebuild with the full metal cage. Not unlike building 1:1, lots of mock-up, assembly, disassembly, repeat.

She is starting to take shape though and will definitely be getting some more scale touches than before.
Attached Images

mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:48 PM   #1660
Quarry Creeper

Looking good, how much does it weigh? What motor are you running in it

Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunder Tiger Jackal 1/10th 4wd Desert Buggy RichMTB01 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 01-19-2016 12:36 AM
Vaterra 1/10 Twin Hammers DT 1.9 4WD Desert Truck RTR spectre Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 10-01-2015 07:54 AM
HPI Mini Trophy 1/12 Scale 4WD Desert Truck constantmotion Non Crawler RC's 31 08-01-2010 09:56 PM