Notices

Thread: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2018, 03:20 PM   #1661
RCC Addict

Default Re: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjo69 View Post
Are those CC numbers or stock? Also is that the Raptor body?, i love how it looks, I am a Toyota fan though and the stock body is pretty Toyota looking, esp if you compare it to BJ Balwins "Cuba video truck", and I have Toyota livery for it, albeit in a "custom team" configuration. Anyway thanks for the braking tips!!
I'm still running the stock esc, which is nothing more than a rebranded Hobbywing WP-SC8 so the $9 Hobbywing program card works perfectly. Yep, Proline Raptor body for the Yeti. I had to get a bit creative to make it fit since the Rey is a bit longer than a Yeti, and I had to make several new body mounts and posts. I'd bet you could easily use the cab and front clip from a Proline Tundra body for a Slash, along with Baja Rey bedsides to get an unmistakeable 'yota look for your truck.

Mewalsh: you have been a very busy man with your rc's recently! Your cage is coming together very nicely! What size hubs are you using to clear the 2.2"s, and what is your track width with the arms sitting level?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2018, 07:30 PM   #1662
Pebble Pounder

Mewalsh, you are going to have a super linear compression stroke with that rear shock angle, what are you going to do for springs/oil etc.. Looks really sweet, cant wait to see more.

TheLetterJ, I will check into the Tundra body front end and see if its the look I am going for, bad time of year for painting here in CO but after getting all the electronics and mechanics sorted out the body will be next.

I am leaving on a trip this weekend but when I return all of my parts should have arrived for my BR. I decided to pretty much just go Full Monty so when I get home it will be a complete tear down and rebuild with many new parts, proper lube in all the right places and a much more scale look excepting the Losi graphics. I can't wait to get started, I actually took 3 extra vacation days after we return just so I can play RC when we get back!!!

Last edited by edjo69; 12-28-2018 at 07:32 PM.
edjo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:07 PM   #1663
I wanna be Dave

[QUOTE=BAJAREY2017;5895643]Looking good, how much does it weigh? What motor are you running in it

Sent from my iPhone using

3lbs 4ozs - Right now, there’s a Holmes Hobbies 4100kv Puller Pro 540 L sitting in it.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:12 PM   #1664
I wanna be Dave

@edjo69 - they were pretty up right there mocked up with the shorter, VP trailing arms. HR arms move the shock further back towards the wheel where it’s not quite as linear. With the shock tower plate, I can also drill additional upper mounting holes. Honestly, until I have a chance to run it and test it I’d be completely speculating on spring rates, oil weights.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:52 PM   #1665
I wanna be Dave

Playing around with some set ups and shock locations.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2018, 12:11 PM   #1666
Pebble Pounder

I really do love the work put into those full cages!!! Beautiful...maybe someday.....

Allot of my parts have shown up already and they all look very nice, I got 2 Exotek diff cups one for the tranny and the other for the front and Traxxas screws for the rear plastic one, I figured I could leave stock plastic diff cup in the rear since its got a locker in it and just use the better screws. I also got the SSD front bulkhead and the VP rear axle, I ordered 2 motors to play with a CC 4010-3800Kv (1/8" shaft :( and a HW EXRUN 3660 G2 3600Kv w/5mm shaft, either will be run through Mamba X in sensored mode. Powerstrokes for the front and rear and a full set of GearHead LED light bars and a bunch of other stuff here and there, blah, blah, blah.... pretty much everything I researched in this thread and another that seemed to be relatively important or that I wanted for scale looks. For the Radiators I am actually going to use 2 40mm fans in a custom mount, I though that would be a "cool" touch. All this fun stuff and I get on a plane in 24hrs, so glad I took 3 days off when we get back!!

Has anyone tried to adapt the RPM 70502 Slash dual spare tire mount over to this truck? I really want vertical spares, so I am going to have to figure that out, it might have to wait until the spring though when I do something with the body.
edjo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:25 AM   #1667
I wanna be Dave

Got a little more mock up and lay out done on project Baja Rey. Made a new aluminum roof design with a valence that protrudes in front of the roof of the cab. 6 to 8 KC pod lights will live on it! Just ordered them up from RPP!
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2018, 10:28 AM   #1668
Quarry Creeper

Looking good man!! What shocks are you using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BAJAREY2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:45 PM   #1669
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAREY2017 View Post
Looking good man!! What shocks are you using.

Right now, I'm mocking up with the stock Baja Rey shocks all around and I've got King Shocks as assist dampers out back. Depending on where the finished weight ends up will determine what direction I head. My thoughts are dual Proline Yeti length out back with one set as shocks and the others stripped to just dampers. Proline Slash rears up front. Like I said though, I can't really commit to anything without having everything on it, total weight so I can get an idea of ride height / sag. I like the idea of the Proline's though for all the spring rate selections available.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:50 PM   #1670
I wanna be Dave

Finished fabbing up the aluminum, one piece rear deck lid / fuel cell combo. (after about 15 different cardstock templates, I think I finally nailed it.) I was able hide the stainless tubing clamps underneath as well so just some small cap-head bolts are visible from top-side. Turned out pretty clean I think.

I still need to work on semi flush mounting the oil can containers and the batteries though so they appear to be down in their own little storage areas. I'm thinking that's going to be a pain in the ass, so I'm calling it a night and will start fresh tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2018, 03:59 PM   #1671
Rock Crawler

Those Traxxas UDR quart oil jugs look like gallon jugs next to those batteries! Nobody makes a 3D printed version of them that is a little smaller?

Edit: Not sure what scale these are but I searched "1:10"

https://www.shapeways.com/product/LH...li=marketplace

Last edited by JDM74; 12-31-2018 at 04:06 PM.
JDM74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:59 PM   #1672
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
Those Traxxas UDR quart oil jugs look like gallon jugs next to those batteries! Nobody makes a 3D printed version of them that is a little smaller?

Edit: Not sure what scale these are but I searched "1:10"

https://www.shapeways.com/product/LH...li=marketplace
I know right! They do look gallon size! Maybe she burns oil!? I’ll check out the 3D printed link. I think you can have stuff printed to the scale you want at Shapeways. I’m going to hold off flush mounting them until I find what i’m looking for in proper scale. Thanks for the link!
Old 12-31-2018, 05:05 PM   #1673
I wanna be Dave

Just checked out the Shapeways link. If the measurements the provided are correct (they’re tagged 1:10 scale), they are almost the same dimensions as the Traxxas ones. I’ll see about having them scaled down.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:11 PM   #1674
I wanna be Dave

Not the KC pod lights I ordered, but same concept. This is my old Proline Baja lightbar from my K&N body. Just wanted to check some dimensions. I think it's gonna look pretty darn rad!

Still trying to decide if I should run the little cage around them, or just mount them individually? And, if I do run the little cage, I'm thinking metal and using the plastic as the model / template?
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2018, 05:37 PM   #1675
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Not the KC pod lights I ordered, but same concept. This is my old Proline Baja lightbar from my K&N body. Just wanted to check some dimensions. I think it's gonna look pretty darn rad!

Still trying to decide if I should run the little cage around them, or just mount them individually? And, if I do run the little cage, I'm thinking metal and using the plastic as the model / template?

Id say run the cage around them, it looks good and makes it look more scale. I got all my diffs back in mine after tearing down and doing a full rebuild on everything and got it back to a roller but I’m going to have to up my game now! Looks like a new body is in order.

BAJAREY2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:05 PM   #1676
Rock Crawler

If I were running those lights in that extremely vulnerable location I would definitely run them with a metal cage. Otherwise, the first time this thing ends up on its roof they are going to be broke off. That's why I run a light bar on my UDR inside the body at the top of the windshield opening. See below:

Untitled by JASON MCKIMMEY, on Flickr

This is also the way the current 1:1's run them.

Justin Lofton Deploys Secret Weapon At 50th Anniversary Baja 1000 - OffRoadThePlanet.com

But if you are going for an old school look, you nailed it.

Old School Trophy truck
Old 12-31-2018, 09:15 PM   #1677
I wanna be Dave

I'll have a couple bodies for this rig. One will be a "shelf queen" and the other will be a more stripped down runner. While you're correct that a lot of the 1:1's run the light bars, a lot of guys still opt for the pods for better light dispersion.

Ironically, RPM is the livery I've chosen to run with as well. Ordered my decals from MCI Racing last week. I popped extra for the reverse adhesive so they'll be on the inside of the body. No scuffs and no visible decal ridges.

Here's some sweet pics of 1:1's. Been scouring for inspiration.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2018, 10:34 PM   #1678
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Ironically, RPM is the livery I've chosen to run with as well. Ordered my decals from MCI Racing last week. I popped extra for the reverse adhesive so they'll be on the inside of the body. No scuffs and no visible decal ridges.
Cool. I didn't Realize that many guys still ran conventional lighting. Here is my Baja Rey body, custom paint. I didn't do it, I found a guy on RC Tech forum that is amazing. All paint, no decals:

Untitled by JASON MCKIMMEY, on Flickr

Your cage work is amazing, wish I had skills like that.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:44 PM   #1679
Rock Crawler

Did you see these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-UNLIMITE...zMdv:rk:2:pf:0
Old 01-01-2019, 05:53 AM   #1680
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
I did not see those. I went straight to MCI. Good find. I may grab those as well. I can't believe that's all paint work on your rig's body! Amazes me how well some people can paint. Probably my least favorite aspect of a build. I can do clean, simple paint jobs and color breaks, but that's a whole 'nother level. If you don't mind me asking, what does something like that run $ wise and could you get me his contact info?

Last edited by mewalsh100; 01-01-2019 at 07:31 AM.

Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunder Tiger Jackal 1/10th 4wd Desert Buggy RichMTB01 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 01-19-2016 12:36 AM
Vaterra 1/10 Twin Hammers DT 1.9 4WD Desert Truck RTR spectre Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 10-01-2015 07:54 AM
HPI Mini Trophy 1/12 Scale 4WD Desert Truck constantmotion Non Crawler RC's 31 08-01-2010 09:56 PM