Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2019, 12:04 AM   #1741
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

Mewalsh100, how is your B-Rey coming along?

Work had me pretty tied up last week, but I managed to get my entire drive train mechanics sorted out and I am now working on all the drive train electronics; ESC & cap pack connections, battery lead & BEC connections, servo connection shortening and pig tails from the RX for light bars with a switch, running lights and fans. Still need to host pictures. My main idea is to keep all control electronic entirely independent of the cage and then all of the fans and lighting entirely contained in the cage with three pigtail connections to the RX. I had to make a few shelves/mounts for wire management and cap pack placement and tonight I am working on a mount for the CC BLink. Pictures by Monday...
edjo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2019, 03:52 PM   #1742
Pebble Pounder

Here is the chassis ready for drive and control component installation.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:08 PM   #1743
Rock Stacker

Well, I just placed an order for the Baja Rey BND version.
I've read up on the crappy rear axle bearings and weak steering servo horn.
Anyone have a "must do list" so I don't forget to do anything? Hoping to run 3s without too much issues.

Also, if I want to use the AVC, will any DSMR transmitter have the knob to control it? I've noticed some say "steering rate" instead of AVC.

Thanks!
FastMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:25 PM   #1744
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMatt View Post
Well, I just placed an order for the Baja Rey BND version.
I've read up on the crappy rear axle bearings and weak steering servo horn.
Anyone have a "must do list" so I don't forget to do anything? Hoping to run 3s without too much issues.

Also, if I want to use the AVC, will any DSMR transmitter have the knob to control it? I've noticed some say "steering rate" instead of AVC.

Thanks!

The only Spektrum transmitters with a knob that you can put the main AVC percentage gain adjustment to are the DX5R and the DX5Pro, no other Spektrum TX's have a knob. I got the Pro because I wanted it asap and my LHS didn't have the R, but you can find the R on EBay pretty easily.

I am setting up my truck for 2S due to my battery collection but I believe the main issues with 3S are the rear third member and front Diff housing both easily replaceable parts, others that run 3S will chime in at some point, this thread doesn't see a ton of attention but there are still a few of us that post semi-regularly, esp when we see activity on it.

Good luck, I have BND version too...
Old 02-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #1745
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjo69 View Post
The only Spektrum transmitters with a knob that you can put the main AVC percentage gain adjustment to are the DX5R and the DX5Pro, no other Spektrum TX's have a knob. I got the Pro because I wanted it asap and my LHS didn't have the R, but you can find the R on EBay pretty easily.

I am setting up my truck for 2S due to my battery collection but I believe the main issues with 3S are the rear third member and front Diff housing both easily replaceable parts, others that run 3S will chime in at some point, this thread doesn't see a ton of attention but there are still a few of us that post semi-regularly, esp when we see activity on it.

Good luck, I have BND version too...
I thought even the stock DX2E radio on the RTR has a knob for adjusting AVC?

I was definitely planning to buy the SSD third member. Is a Alum front diff housing needed too? What are the options out there? I was planning to run 3s because that’s all I currently have for batteries, but if it blows up everything on the truck, I’ll just buy 2s batteries.

Thanks for the reply! Hopefully others can chime in too.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:12 PM   #1746
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I thought even the stock DX2E radio on the RTR has a knob for adjusting AVC?

I was definitely planning to buy the SSD third member. Is a Alum front diff housing needed too? What are the options out there? I was planning to run 3s because that’s all I currently have for batteries, but if it blows up everything on the truck, I’ll just buy 2s batteries.

Thanks for the reply! Hopefully others can chime in too.

I have had a few DX2E's from other RTR's and unless they updated them they do no have a knob to the best of my knowledge its just 5R & 5Pro that have knobs.

As for the front diff housing and the third member I went with SSD, they have bigger bearings in both units for the the driveshaft pinions. I also upgraded my entire rear axle so I have an unused SSD third member, PM me if you are interested, I wont need it.

I will do a bit of research on the 2E but I am pretty sure there isn't a knob. PM me with any other questions, I did gobs of research B4 I got this truck so I have some answers you might need.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:05 AM   #1747
Quarry Creeper

Certain versions of the dx2-e have an avc knob. I believe the one that came with my losi mini 8 is the one that has it.

Edit
http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...dID=LOS01004T2

Looks like it is dx2-e v3 that has the knob

Last edited by Lavaheadache; 02-05-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #1748
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavaheadache View Post
Certain versions of the dx2-e have an avc knob. I believe the one that came with my losi mini 8 is the one that has it.

Edit
Losi: Mini 8IGHT RTR, AVC, Black: 1/14 4WD Buggy: Losi (LOS01004T2)

Looks like it is dx2-e v3 that has the knob

Good catch, I actual bought a Mini 8 DB within a year and it did not come with that version of the TX, I wonder if its a newer offering, though it does share looks with most of the discontinued line...? Anyway good catch!!
Old 02-05-2019, 12:38 PM   #1749
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjo69 View Post
Good catch, I actual bought a Mini 8 DB within a year and it did not come with that version of the TX, I wonder if its a newer offering, though it does share looks with most of the discontinued line...? Anyway good catch!!
I ended up ordering a new "take off" DX2E (SPM2335) transmitter only off ebay for $25 shipped yesterday. Still being cheaper than the truck RTR version in the long run and has more features than old discontinued RTR DX2E (SPM2330)
Read this info direct from Spekrums site under "Key features":
"-AVC/steering-rate adjustment dial"
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2019, 05:10 PM   #1750

My RTR came with the knob.

On the third drive (on 3S from new) I stripped the front diff gear. Did new gears, SSD housing and Third Member and a Savox servo with alloy horn and its been good since.

I also fitted Proline Badlands on it and its transformed. The standard tyres actually blew apart at speed. Now it has grip on all surfaces.
SLO247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:23 AM   #1751
Rock Stacker

Here's my list of items purchased so far for the BND version on the way:
Spektrum DX2E (current version)
SSD third member (Thanks edjo69)
Incision stainless rear upper links
Avid yellow seal bearing kit
RPM front bumper and skid plate
Aluminum servo horn
10T pinion for 3s use
30,000wt for center diff.

Next purchases in a few weeks will be new servo and alum front diff housing.
This is the 2nd RTR I've ever bought in my life (last one was the original Tmaxx 1.5), so I don't mind tearing apart a brand new RC and building it up right. I usually only buy kits, but they're becoming very extinct unfortunately. I originally wanted a 4x4 sct, but this one being a little different intrigued me. Hope I like it...
Old 02-06-2019, 08:15 AM   #1752
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Here's my list of items purchased so far for the BND version on the way:

Spektrum DX2E (current version)

SSD third member (Thanks edjo69)

Incision stainless rear upper links

Avid yellow seal bearing kit

RPM front bumper and skid plate

Aluminum servo horn

10T pinion for 3s use

30,000wt for center diff.

Next purchases in a few weeks will be new servo and alum front diff housing.

This is the 2nd RTR I've ever bought in my life (last one was the original Tmaxx 1.5), so I don't mind tearing apart a brand new RC and building it up right. I usually only buy kits, but they're becoming very extinct unfortunately. I originally wanted a 4x4 sct, but this one being a little different intrigued me. Hope I like it...

I would add an aluminum steering rack while you’re at it, Losi and hot racing make them. I have the cheaper hr one and after a year and a half Iv had no issues with it. If you are going to run 3s I’d get the vanquish rear end. Has much bigger pinion bearing and perfect gear mesh. It’s a much better set up and surprisingly light and helps with the nose diving off jumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BAJAREY2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:17 AM   #1753
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAREY2017 View Post
I would add an aluminum steering rack while you’re at it, Losi and hot racing make them. I have the cheaper hr one and after a year and a half Iv had no issues with it. If you are going to run 3s I’d get the vanquish rear end. Has much bigger pinion bearing and perfect gear mesh. It’s a much better set up and surprisingly light and helps with the nose diving off jumps.

I thought I read reviews somewhere (Amain) that the alum wedge style servo saver didn't work out too well? I'll look into that further.
I'll give the SSD third member a shot for a while before I drop a whopping $140 into the rear end.
I wonder what shock oil is best to run in this thing to prevent some of the bucking? Haven't found much info on that other than swap the shocks out entirely.
Thanks for the info!
Old 02-06-2019, 09:25 AM   #1754
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I thought I read reviews somewhere (Amain) that the alum wedge style servo saver didn't work out too well? I'll look into that further.
I'll give the SSD third member a shot for a while before I drop a whopping $140 into the rear end.
I wonder what shock oil is best to run in this thing to prevent some of the bucking? Haven't found much info on that other than swap the shocks out entirely.
Thanks for the info!

It’s not the servo saver it’s the steering linkage and rack, you use the stock servo saver. If you can, get the prolines and I run the front preload down to almost half and very little in the rear and 35w front and rear. It jumps nice and level and handles great for a solid axle truck. I was running 60wt in the rear for awhile to slow rebound but didn’t like the way it handled so played with different weights and preload and finally found a set up that works good for me.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:59 AM   #1755
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAREY2017 View Post
It’s not the servo saver it’s the steering linkage and rack, you use the stock servo saver. If you can, get the prolines and I run the front preload down to almost half and very little in the rear and 35w front and rear. It jumps nice and level and handles great for a solid axle truck. I was running 60wt in the rear for awhile to slow rebound but didn’t like the way it handled so played with different weights and preload and finally found a set up that works good for me.

Sure looks like the servo saver is integrated to me..

I'd like to keep the cost down for now, and the PL shocks cost quite a bit. I'll just have to play around with different oil weights I guess.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2019, 11:03 AM   #1756
Quarry Creeper

The servo saver is a spring that’s adjustable that goes in it, I’m not sure what you heard but Iv never had an issue and it takes up some of the slop in the steering

Old 02-06-2019, 06:18 PM   #1757
Rock Stacker

Yes, I’m aware of the spring. I just read that the metal on metal wedge setup didn’t work well.

Either way, I decided to order the HR steering kit, new servo and SSD front bulkhead today anyways

Anyone know the internal size of the battery compartment by chance?
Old 02-07-2019, 10:21 AM   #1758
Pebble Pounder

Approximately: 155mm x 50mm, x 27 or 38mm (LHW) depending on if you remove the 2s spacer.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:40 PM   #1759
Rock Stacker

Well this will be a good start 😁
More stuff arriving tomorrow!
Anyone else get a factory installed light bar, FPV camera cage, and extra pinion with theirs?
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2019, 03:50 PM   #1760
RCC Addict

Yep, my neighbor just bought the BND version while Tower had their special ($350 including a 5000mah 3s) and I thought it was cool that they're including the light bar now. They've always come with a 10t and a 13t pinion.

I feel the need to correct edjo's post, max battery length is 139mm, this battery fills up the space with no room to spare: https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php...product_id=492 I'll eventually order up another pair of those for mine, but alas, the rc budget is depleted right now.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunder Tiger Jackal 1/10th 4wd Desert Buggy RichMTB01 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 01-19-2016 12:36 AM
Vaterra 1/10 Twin Hammers DT 1.9 4WD Desert Truck RTR spectre Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 10-01-2015 07:54 AM
HPI Mini Trophy 1/12 Scale 4WD Desert Truck constantmotion Non Crawler RC's 31 08-01-2010 09:56 PM