Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #1901
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

Ofna buggy u joints on bottom. Sooo close.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2019, 12:55 PM   #1902
Pebble Pounder

Someone needs to come up with a high quality spring steel oversized shaft version, direct fit, my u-joints where totally fine the shafts were just noodled. I wonder if you could take the diff outputs from the Rock Rey and use those to adapt the Rock Rey sliding shafts?
edjo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:57 PM   #1903
Quarry Creeper

I think it may be time for a new servo. What do you all recommend? Thinking Savox 1257.
Sniper4370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:08 PM   #1904
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper4370 View Post
I think it may be time for a new servo. What do you all recommend? Thinking Savox 1257.

I run a Hi-tec HS9755tg in one and a Reef 400SC in the other, the AVC likes a fast servo, also make sure you adjust your ends points as the stock throw is much more than the steering geometry allows so your servo will just be straining itself to death if you don't narrow down the throw.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:31 PM   #1905
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjo69 View Post
I run a Hi-tec HS9755tg in one and a Reef 400SC in the other, the AVC likes a fast servo, also make sure you adjust your ends points as the stock throw is much more than the steering geometry allows so your servo will just be straining itself to death if you don't narrow down the throw.
Thanks for the reply. How do you like the Reefs? They seem to be frowned upon 'round here. The stock servo seems sooo slooooww...
Old 06-30-2019, 03:08 PM   #1906
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper4370 View Post
Thanks for the reply. How do you like the Reefs? They seem to be frowned upon 'round here. The stock servo seems sooo slooooww...

I haven't had any issue with the 2 that I have, they are both the 400SC though, maybe some of their "higher end" ones aren't that great? When I buy a servo for a "long term project" (BR #2) I typically will buy a HiTec digital programmable so that I can program the center point and end points and not have to do it in my transmitter. But again, the two 400SC's that I have have been working fine and they are fast. As for Savox I have my own personal issue with them from a few years back and I prefer not to use them anymore, I know that they are a well loved servo here on the forum but I personally don't care for them. Another less expensive servo that works really well and is hi-torque/fast too is the ProTek 130T. Good luck! Ed
Old 07-23-2019, 02:57 PM   #1907

Hi guys! I have ordered a Baja Rey bnd and ride version without the Fuze electronics. Will use my HW EZrun 120A Max10 esc and HW 3660 motor. Question: I’m not sure if I can use XT60 connectors (that I like). Hard to see in pics. My other question: will the box also contain a lower geared pinion? It’s a 5mm m1 pinion right? Thanks

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Landy TRX 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:00 PM   #1908

Default Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

Got the xt60 question fixed.

I have the truck since yesterday. Built it and it runs amazing. Also replaced the servo with something stronger and quicker that I had lying around.

Also worked a bit on the body and interior.

Last edited by Landy TRX 4; 07-27-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:08 AM   #1909

Also have a question: who of you knows what rims/ wheels these are?
They might fit the Losi Baja Rey?

Old 07-28-2019, 01:54 PM   #1910
Pebble Pounder

They kinda look like DE Racing.....
Old 07-28-2019, 01:54 PM   #1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I took the truck for a quick test drive in my backyard to make sure all was well before I put the body on. My boys brought their Slash's out too, so we made a small loop with a plastic skate ramp (table tops) on each straight section. I was pretty pleased with my minor changes to the suspension and was running pretty quick for such a small area, but then... I got a little too frisky and waaaayyy overshot a jump, landed (on the brakes) and wadded it up. Now the servo is making angry noises and does not steer. I opened it up and cannot see gear damage anywhere, but I'll need to spend more time diagnosing that.

That servo is probably worth fixing (2+ year old mid-range Promodeler) but I've got a 4 pack of DS3218 "Pro" servos on the slow boat right now (ordered 2 weeks ago) that seem like they'd be worth a shot. Specs say 23.5kg/.09s @ 6.8v, so I'd imagine the speed will be tolerable at 6v.

I noticed a few cuts in my rear tires after the last track day, so I glued them shut. Well, my run today ripped most of those cuts back open, so it's time for new tires. My current RC4WD Baja Claws worked out better than anticipated, and they're cheap, so I could just go with another set of them, or...

Has anybody here run the Proline BFG AT "Desert truck" tires? At 4.75" tall, they'd give a nice little bump in ground clearance, at the expense of a bit more frequent body contact. I've also grown to appreciate a tire that doesn't have "velcro" level traction on this truck as I find having just a bit of slip is easier for me to control, so these tires are more appealing to me now than when they were first released. Am I seeing that right, they come with open cell foam? One of my complaints about my current RC4WD tires is that the foams are too soft. The other 3 sets of Proline SCT tires I have all came with their blue closed cell inserts. For those of you that run these Prolines, do you think the foams are too soft? Is tire ballooning an issue?

I tested mine today with a set of 4.75 Proline Mud Terrains on aluminium 1.9 8-spokes. Not bad at all. These do not balloon. However, I’m thinking of building a set of white 2.2/3.0 wheels with less off-set and the BFG Baja’s.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:58 PM   #1912

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjo69 View Post
They kinda look like DE Racing.....

Or these?

Old 08-02-2019, 03:27 AM   #1913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbdynsty25 View Post
Some new shoes...the Baja Claw Mickey Thompsons ballooned way too much. While being closer to the stock size, I just hated how soft they were. So got some Proline KR2s on DE Racing Trinidad Wheels. These wheels are perfect...no offset and work w/ the brake calipers, which a few sets of wheels I've tried don't.

.2 mm shorter but .2 mm wider overall. I like the way this combo looks too...much better than stock.

I also consider these. Which Trinidad wheels are those exactly? These: http://www.deracing.net/store/index....product_id=150

Old 08-04-2019, 01:32 PM   #1914

New here, so can't post pics, but I just got one of the Losi Ford Raptor 1/10 Desert trucks and wanted bead lock wheels, so I tried the Proline F11 # 2745-03, and they fit great. I used the Proline Streetfighter tires.
cwmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:25 PM   #1915

Hey there, im looking to either rebuild my stock shocks or purchase new ones. Im just wondering what peoples experience is with running the aluminum body pannels. What weight oil should I use in my shocks to provide better damping if I decide to rebuild them? I've been running my rey with the aluminum body panels and it adds a significant amount of weight to the front end. I tried stiffening the springs as much as I could but it's just sketchy and still gets clapped out over the smallest bumps and jumps.. also what shocks do you run if you have upgraded?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
HunterTu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:38 PM   #1916
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTu View Post
Hey there, im looking to either rebuild my stock shocks or purchase new ones. Im just wondering what peoples experience is with running the aluminum body pannels. What weight oil should I use in my shocks to provide better damping if I decide to rebuild them? I've been running my rey with the aluminum body panels and it adds a significant amount of weight to the front end. I tried stiffening the springs as much as I could but it's just sketchy and still gets clapped out over the smallest bumps and jumps.. also what shocks do you run if you have upgraded?
Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
While I personally can't give you specifics on oil weights since my Baja Rey is stock still. I would suggest also adding stiffer springs to help with the added weight. The spring supports the weight, the oil controls compression/rebound rate.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:03 AM   #1917
I wanna be Dave

I ran 32.5 in the front and 30 in the rear. Though i was racing my baja rey. For bashing i would consider 35 or higher front and the next weight down in the rear.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:18 PM   #1918
Quarry Creeper

Selling my Baja Rey, message me for any questions. Has everything, nothing else needed. Lots of spare parts and extra set of brand new wheels and tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BAJAREY2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:47 AM   #1919

Hi all, im thinking of getting the baja rey ford raptor but im afraid ill have to put too much money on upgrades so it will drive smooth. I heared the bearings and gears break really fast.. anything else i should know? What must be replaced and how durable is it really?
Captain Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:56 AM   #1920
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Flint View Post
Hi all, im thinking of getting the baja rey ford raptor but im afraid ill have to put too much money on upgrades so it will drive smooth. I heared the bearings and gears break really fast.. anything else i should know? What must be replaced and how durable is it really?

I have a completely stock one that I beat on pretty regularly, I have upgrades waiting (mostly left over from a second one I am still building) and the only item I have had to replace from failure so far are the front axles, it now runs oversize GPM CV axles in the front and they have been going strong for over a month now. I have been running this truck on 2s though so keep that in mind if you plan on running 3s.

Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunder Tiger Jackal 1/10th 4wd Desert Buggy RichMTB01 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 01-19-2016 12:36 AM
Vaterra 1/10 Twin Hammers DT 1.9 4WD Desert Truck RTR spectre Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 10-01-2015 07:54 AM
HPI Mini Trophy 1/12 Scale 4WD Desert Truck constantmotion Non Crawler RC's 31 08-01-2010 09:56 PM