Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2017, 04:24 PM   #1241
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

Im posting this here since it has to do with both rigs (baja/rock). Bad news first, RPM still hasn't got enough demand for front a-arms for the rock rey. And 2nd bad news for both rigs, HR doesn't have an aluminum front or center diff housing in the works. Maybe in the future but for now, nothing. Maybe someone could post up in FB group asking everyone to email RPM and HR. Good news, only for baja owners, RPM has a baja rey there and is looking into it, but not sure what. Curious what they have in store. But they did say it wasn't front a-arms, lol.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2017, 06:16 PM   #1242
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyg1981 View Post
Glad it's back on the dirt or at least soon to be mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Buddy! No dirt yet as we got dumped on with rain. But, everything sounded good on the pavement test. I did notice with the 30K diff fluid, it's almost acting like straight rear wheel drive! I've got to find a nice balance. I've searched the forums and it looks like a lot of people are running 30k in the center diff, but all over the map on the front diff. (Seems like a lot of people are just lightly greasing it). Anyway, just some test and tune I suppose!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:18 PM   #1243
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Im posting this here since it has to do with both rigs (baja/rock). Bad news first, RPM still hasn't got enough demand for front a-arms for the rock rey. And 2nd bad news for both rigs, HR doesn't have an aluminum front or center diff housing in the works. Maybe in the future but for now, nothing. Maybe someone could post up in FB group asking everyone to email RPM and HR. Good news, only for baja owners, RPM has a baja rey there and is looking into it, but not sure what. Curious what they have in store. But they did say it wasn't front a-arms, lol.
Metal roll cage maybe?
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:13 PM   #1244
RCC Addict

Well, I have in my possession 2 rock rey gear sets and another front bulkhead/diff housing for my Baja Rey. I've been reasonably happy just running rear wheel drive, but since I've been taking my 2wd Slash out a lot more, I've realized that the BR doesn't work as well as a purpose built 2wd, even compared to a mildly hopped up Slash...

I guess that means that it's time to make the BR 4wd again. I don't remember what I had my max brake force set at, but I'm going to see about turning that down more too, you really don't need much brake in the sand anyway. I'll make more of an effort to not drive it on the asphalt, and probably keep it off the track too... open/loose terrain only.

I've also noticed that aside from when I have paddles on, even with the punch on its softest setting, I'm pretty easily blowing off the tires. I never thought much of it before, but running side by side with a Yeti SCORE and a few 2s and 3s Slash's, we're all pretty even off the line and for the first 15-20' or so. I don't own a 2s that will plug into this truck, but for dirt use, I guess I'm saying that 2s would probably accelerate just as fast, without all the wheel spin. Sure it won't have the top speed, but I generally only get to stretch it's legs in the dunes or the sandy sections of the riverbed (which are the two places I take this truck the most anyway)... are you happy CM9000? I'll agree with you now. Haha.

The other way to tone down wheel spin is to gear taller, reducing torque multiplication from the motor to the wheels (and gaining top speed in the process.) Being that the whole point of switching to rock rey gears was to take load off of the pinion portion of the diff housing (which is increasing wheel torque in the process) I'm going to have to ponder my motor pinion choice some more. I believe I've got a 10, 13, 15, and 19 tooth on hand.

What's the biggest 2s you guys have found that fits with the spacer removed? I don't mind buying one to try out, but I want to be able to swap back and forth with my big 3s. On a similar note, someone had told me about 3d printed battery plugs (Deans and maybe XT60?) that would bolt straight in to the stock location, but I can't come up with anything. Anybody have a link?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:22 PM   #1245
RCC Addict

Hopefully RPM is working on a front bumper. I just couldn't bring myself to buying the tbone bumper meant for the rock rey. One of my Slash's looks like the RPM catalogue threw up on it (okay, it's not that bad) but I just haven't seen many parts on the BR that would really benefit from RPM's flexible goodness. Definitely NOT the front diff housing!
Old 08-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #1246
I wanna be Dave

A guy on FB, sells the 3D printed deans or traxxas piece. His name is Christopher Lang. You can find him and his post in the "losi rock rey and baja rey" group.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:29 PM   #1247

I need a new servo arm so I might just upgrade the servo while I'm at it. Thinking a Savox 1258 since I'm trying to control the budget a bit. Is this an adequate choice? Do I need a glitch buster? (running all factory installed components.)
Fikeies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:13 PM   #1248
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikeies View Post
I need a new servo arm so I might just upgrade the servo while I'm at it. Thinking a Savox 1258 since I'm trying to control the budget a bit. Is this an adequate choice? Do I need a glitch buster? (running all factory installed components.)

This is what I have in mine for crawling and it's good , and yes you will need to use a glitch buster get a y cable so it doesn't use a extra slot in the receiver and also I found my cable on the 1258 wasn't long enough to reach so the y cable also worked as an extension too there is the power hd servo which puts out the exactly the same torque as the 1258 but half the price and Iv heard good things about them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willyg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:35 PM   #1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikeies View Post
Absolutely, I use it in mine. It's not the highest torque, but it's very responsive, relatively light, and tough. Never needed a glitch buster in my baja (esc is 3A stock) it tends to mess with cheap and castle ESCs more than anything. Doesn't hurt to have, though.
Ltzerge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:03 PM   #1250
Pebble Pounder

Rock Rey gears were suppose to come in mid september (Amain specifically had September 14th). Now Horizon says beginning of October. Amain has September 28th. Wish Horizon would just get their crap together with parts stocking (honestly there is no excuse other than it isn't a priority for them). I haven't blown a set yet but I want at least one spare set. Love my rock rey but poor parts support is killing it for me.
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:18 PM   #1251

Agree with you it's always a pity to grab the parts especially in France
lipfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:41 PM   #1252
Quarry Creeper

Has anybody else fit the pro-line yeti ford raptor body on their baja rey yet? After seeing horizon raised the prices on all the rey parts, I decided to try and make it fit. I just finished cutting it out and it actually lines up really good on the chassis. The cab will be pretty easy just need to drill out the 4 holes on top and looks like i can still use a couple of the stock side mounts as well. The hood looks like it wont be bad just need a couple of maybe 1 inch posts for the top of the hood. The rear fenders looks like i can only use the side mounting location. The 2 top mounts in the rear sit about 1/2 inch to far in from the body. I'v thought about cutting the rear fender section off of the raptor body and using new rey rear fenders. I don't think it will be hard at all but will cost $30 add another $37 for the raptor body and still cheaper then a new set from horizon. I'm really liking the look of the raptor front end, only problem i can see is the body not holding up to well to crash damage. I'ts obviously thinner then the rey plastics but oh well. If anybody else has tried this please let me know, i'm curious as to how others have mounted it

Last edited by BAJAREY2017; 09-18-2017 at 05:47 PM.
BAJAREY2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:46 PM   #1253
RCC Addict

I haven't tried a Yeti body yet, but I did test fit a Traxxas Slayer body on my BR the other day. Length, width, and wheelbase were all good. It looks the same as their standard slash body, just a bit bigger and with more of a slanted section from the back of the cab to the back of the bed. Very similar in size to a Team Associated SC8 body. I figure you could cut the bedsides from it and mount them separately. My buddy picked it up brand new on ebay for $15 shipped for another project, if it doesn't work for him, I'll probably buy it off him. RPP still shows $62.99 for a clear BR body. I'd like to see what you come up with.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:15 PM   #1254
Quarry Creeper

I saw that too on RPP and a couple other sites. When i tried to order from sikrides and rc planet i got an email saying the price has changed and figured RPP just hasn't updated it yet. When i'm done i'll post pics as soon as i find out how.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:52 AM   #1255
RCC Addict

Dang, the new SSD aluminum front bulkhead sold out at RPP in 1 day! I'm glad that I got in on the first order, and I still have 2 sets of Rock Rey gears on standby for my Baja Rey. Hopefully this (in addition to the Hot Racing diff cups and Metal Concepts 3rd member already installed) is the end of our differential woes. I think I'm going to skip the heavy gear oil in the front this time too and just go back to a completely open diff. I even splurged and bought a new stock bumper, the body will have to wait. I'm pretty excited to get this truck going again, especially since I'm giving my son a Slash for his 7th birthday in just over a week, I'll have a buddy to run with every time now!
Old 09-27-2017, 10:57 PM   #1256
RCC Addict

I received my new SSD front bulkhead yesterday and built it up this evening. I am absolutely impressed! Tolerances are nice and tight, I have had to shim the diffs on this truck every time I've rebuilt them, but not this time. Not even a 0.1mm shim was necessary (I usually needed either 0.2-0.3mm behind the pinion) on either side of the pinion bearings! Spins so nicely!

I'll get the rear axle built up with new matching Rock Rey gears tomorrow and hopefully not need to get back inside these pumpkins for a loooooong time. (knock on wood.)

I'm going to go ahead and say that the SSD front bulkhead should be considered a mandatory part for anyone with a Rey, especially if you're running 3s.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #1257
Quarry Creeper

I'v been doing more driving on a track lately and was wondering what people have been using for tires. The track is hardpack and can get a little slick. I'v had the pro line kr2's on f11 wheels and they are horrible. They look good and do alright when new but after you flip them and round off the tread they are worthless. I went back to the stock ones and they actually do pretty good but i figured there has got to be some good sct tires that would be an improvement over stock. I get this isn't a track truck but it's a blast driving on a track and i'm just trying to get it to hook up a little better...thanks
Old 10-08-2017, 10:47 PM   #1258
RCC Addict

I have the KR2s also, and the slip is helpful for me, because I drive on grass and grippier tires would make the truck flip more often, but if you're driving on a clay track, you should use clay-track tires.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:48 PM   #1259
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Dang, the new SSD aluminum front bulkhead sold out at RPP in 1 day! I'm glad that I got in on the first order, and I still have 2 sets of Rock Rey gears on standby for my Baja Rey. Hopefully this (in addition to the Hot Racing diff cups and Metal Concepts 3rd member already installed) is the end of our differential woes. I think I'm going to skip the heavy gear oil in the front this time too and just go back to a completely open diff. I even splurged and bought a new stock bumper, the body will have to wait. I'm pretty excited to get this truck going again, especially since I'm giving my son a Slash for his 7th birthday in just over a week, I'll have a buddy to run with every time now!
Ooh, this part was finally released? *adds to wish list*
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:10 AM   #1260
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I'm going to go ahead and say that the SSD front bulkhead should be considered a mandatory part for anyone with a Rey, especially if you're running 3s.
I couldn't agree more. hell... maybe a decent driveshaft and dog bone could withstand a 2100kv on 4s
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunder Tiger Jackal 1/10th 4wd Desert Buggy RichMTB01 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 01-19-2016 12:36 AM
Vaterra 1/10 Twin Hammers DT 1.9 4WD Desert Truck RTR spectre Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 10-01-2015 07:54 AM
HPI Mini Trophy 1/12 Scale 4WD Desert Truck constantmotion Non Crawler RC's 31 08-01-2010 09:56 PM