Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2019, 07:13 PM   #1861
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

Finished the cab, started on the hood. Going to try and finish it tomorrow. Wanted something different then the usual black and green with monster logos everywhere. Found a blue close to the original Baja rey colors. Did the center section of the hood chrome. Going to add some black and then the rest blue. Haven’t decided on the rear fenders yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BAJAREY2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2019, 01:37 PM   #1862
Quarry Creeper

Getting closer, just have the rear fender. Still not sure how I’m going to paint them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BAJAREY2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:09 PM   #1863

Just got a used rey it was always ran on 2s but I started running it with a 3s I've been having problems with it overheating. Anyone have a link for the parts to fix this? I'm guessing a bigger esc fan and adding a motor fan with heatsink would help...? Anything else I should do to keep from shredding the stock parts?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
HunterTu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #1864
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTu View Post
Just got a used rey it was always ran on 2s but I started running it with a 3s I've been having problems with it overheating. Anyone have a link for the parts to fix this? I'm guessing a bigger esc fan and adding a motor fan with heatsink would help...? Anything else I should do to keep from shredding the stock parts?

What pinion is on the motor? Probably the 13, might put a 10 on, that would be a good first step. You can download the manual from Horizon, ESC should handle 3s fine, but everything is enclosed, might want to add some ventilation to the motor...
edjo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:42 PM   #1865

Hello all,

I have a new BR, i've drove it twice, and i noticed a play in what seems like the center diff rear cup (where the rear drive-shaft connects to the center diff). I have around 2-3mm of play there. Is it normal?

Thanks
Yonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:57 PM   #1866
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonic View Post
Hello all,

I have a new BR, i've drove it twice, and i noticed a play in what seems like the center diff rear cup (where the rear drive-shaft connects to the center diff). I have around 2-3mm of play there. Is it normal?

Thanks
Nope. Probably a smoked bearing. Time to start the upgrades. Look into an SSD aluminum 3rd member or an aluminum housing if you have the budget.
elRayRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:07 PM   #1867

Did some upgrades today, aluminium upper rear links and aluminium front shock tower.. So I was plugging in my light bar on my BR and f*cked up.. I broke the antenna off of the receiver now my truck only drives about 20 feet away then loses signal. Is there any way to re attach the antenna to the receiver or should I just buy a new reciever. Also do I need a new transmitter and receiver or can I bind the stock Spektrum DX2E to a new receiver if so can someone send the link? Thank you in advice.

HunterTu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:41 PM   #1868
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTu View Post
Did some upgrades today, aluminium upper rear links and aluminium front shock tower.. So I was plugging in my light bar on my BR and f*cked up.. I broke the antenna off of the receiver now my truck only drives about 20 feet away then loses signal. Is there any way to re attach the antenna to the receiver or should I just buy a new reciever. Also do I need a new transmitter and receiver or can I bind the stock Spektrum DX2E to a new receiver if so can someone send the link? Thank you in advice.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can split open the receiver case and resolder the antenna. Honestly, you've got nothing to lose trying to solder it at this point. Otherwise a new SRS6000 ($80) is the cheapest AVC receiver that I know of. If you're not worried about retaining the AVC function, an SR210 ($30) will get the job done. Yes, you can just bind either to your dx2e.

My SRS4220 recently just quit on me. I like AVC, but couldn't swing a new one, so I just bought a cheap Radiolink R6FG ($16) and bound it to the RC3S transmitter ( about $40) I already had. It doesn't work as seemlessly as the Spektrum, but it still offers some assistance, and it's adjustable from the radio.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:49 PM   #1869
RCC Addict

Does anyone know the length of the turnbuckles that come in LOS331003 (Tie rod set)? I just wanted to explore my options (perhaps some Lunsford goods?) before settling on the Losi part. I did find the Losi rod ends that would fit LOS334007 so any 4mm turnbuckle of the appropriate length should work.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #1870
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Does anyone know the length of the turnbuckles that come in LOS331003 (Tie rod set)? I just wanted to explore my options (perhaps some Lunsford goods?) before settling on the Losi part. I did find the Losi rod ends that would fit LOS334007 so any 4mm turnbuckle of the appropriate length should work.

I am using Traxxas Rustler tie-rods, they are the right length, you just need to add a 1mm shim at the spindle ball end for the height difference.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:27 PM   #1871

Quote:
Originally Posted by elRayRay View Post
Nope. Probably a smoked bearing. Time to start the upgrades. Look into an SSD aluminum 3rd member or an aluminum housing if you have the budget.
Mmm, but it's in the center diff side of the driveshaft, not the 3rd member. Is there an aluminum housing available for the center diff?

Thanks for the reply!
Yonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:42 PM   #1872
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonic View Post
Mmm, but it's in the center diff side of the driveshaft, not the 3rd member. Is there an aluminum housing available for the center diff?

Thanks for the reply!
Sorry, I misread your initial post. I thought "rear cup" meant rear diff.

It's probably still a smoked bearing, though. I've heard that Losi bearings aren't the most durable. There is an aluminum center trans housing. Only place I've found it is eBay. I'm planning to get one in a few weeks.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F283443921977

When you do open the trans to check the bearings, make sure you spend some time heating up the rear outdrive to break up the threadlock that has most likely "locked" your driveshaft cup to the outdrive.
elRayRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:53 PM   #1873
Quarry Creeper

Just picked up a Baja Rey. Lets get this thread goin again!
Sniper4370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:25 PM   #1874
I wanna be Dave

She's ALIVE! Drove under her own power for the first time tonight with the new metal chassis / cage. I still have a lot of detail work to do, little odds and ends, but I'm stoked! The HH 4100KV PullerPro is a monster!

Coated the chassis with Steel-It coating just like many of the 1:1's get. I can't say enough good things about this product. The finish is awesome and looks very scale.

I also got my light controller installed so I can turn the running and chase lights on and off from the Tx.

ESS One engine sound system is also installed and sounds freak'n cool under power!

I've got all the inner panel skins done from a while back, but I'm going to leave them off until I'm sure I've got all the bugaboos sorted.

The Proline PowerStrokes feel pretty good straight away, especially at the back where I ran a dual set up. The fronts are a little under sprung, but I've got a spring assortment to play with for that.

Last, I've got the body prepped and trimmed up to fit this cage. I'll be doing RPM livery. (Gave my driver and navigator orange suits for matchy/matchy to the body) I purchased the RPM deals from MCI racing in Canada. I popped the little bit extra for the reverse adhesive so the stickers will actually go on the inside of the body, then painted over. I'm going to try and get the body sprayed this weekend and work on a few more scale details.
Attached Images

mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:48 PM   #1875
Quarry Creeper

@mewalsh100 looking good!

What size wheels are those? Are they a standard 2.2 or a 2.2/3.0?
Old 06-03-2019, 11:32 PM   #1876
RCC Addict

That looks great, I can't wait to see your paint scheme! I'm planning to go orange with black accents myself (I'm assuming that's the RPM theme you're referring to?) soon since my hot pink/black body has just one good day left on it. I bought another set of Axial SCORE Method wheels too, but went with orange this time, so I can't go with the whole RPM theme. Trying to decide which shade of orange though, since flourescent won't match the wheels, I might try PS62 this time since I just painted another car PS7.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:43 AM   #1877
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper4370 View Post
@mewalsh100 looking good!

What size wheels are those? Are they a standard 2.2 or a 2.2/3.0?
They are Method 2.2/3.0 SC wheels.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:47 AM   #1878
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
That looks great, I can't wait to see your paint scheme! I'm planning to go orange with black accents myself (I'm assuming that's the RPM theme you're referring to?) soon since my hot pink/black body has just one good day left on it. I bought another set of Axial SCORE Method wheels too, but went with orange this time, so I can't go with the whole RPM theme. Trying to decide which shade of orange though, since flourescent won't match the wheels, I might try PS62 this time since I just painted another car PS7.
Thanks! Yep, I'm doing the Orange / Black RPM theme Livery. I've scoured Insta and the Interwebs and have a lot of pics saved to help with decal placement, etc. There are a number of variations on the way they do the livery on their trucks, so I'm just going to take all the elements I like and distill them in to my paint work.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:18 PM   #1879
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
They are Method 2.2/3.0 SC wheels.
Thanks. I kinda thought they were but, the bronze threw me off. I assume they are the Axial version like @TheLetterJ mentioned.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:31 PM   #1880
Pebble Pounder

Looks really good Mike, I cant wait to see it with the body panels on, I have been testing a few ideas with my "test B-Rey", more upright front shocks and second rear shocks and seeing which ideas I will transfer over to my #7 Bryce Menzies Race Truck. I thought it a fitting truck to do a version of since he is running AWD full time now, The two areas that I am having the most headaches with are the rear dual spares and fuel cell layout and the wheels, other than that she is coming along nicely.

I too have the HH 4100kv Puller Pro L and I was wondering if you are getting any cogging?? And if you are running 2s or 3s and what ESC?

Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunder Tiger Jackal 1/10th 4wd Desert Buggy RichMTB01 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 01-19-2016 12:36 AM
Vaterra 1/10 Twin Hammers DT 1.9 4WD Desert Truck RTR spectre Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 10-01-2015 07:54 AM
HPI Mini Trophy 1/12 Scale 4WD Desert Truck constantmotion Non Crawler RC's 31 08-01-2010 09:56 PM