Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2021, 06:29 PM   #2401
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

Is there a new version of the Baja Rey out? It looks like it has a different motor, ESC, radio, and maybe servo. Are there any other differences?

https://www.rc-leader.com/root/25559...03020v2t2.html
521BBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2021, 06:42 PM   #2402
I wanna be Dave

It's, essentially, "the same"...but, coming from a Horizon Hobby owned company, they are doing the same thing been doing with more & more vehicles/vessels/planes/helicopters coming from Horizon Hobby owned brands - replacing ESCs & motors with Spektrum SMART.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:21 AM   #2403
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
It's, essentially, "the same"...but, coming from a Horizon Hobby owned company, they are doing the same thing been doing with more & more vehicles/vessels/planes/helicopters coming from Horizon Hobby owned brands - replacing ESCs & motors with Spektrum SMART.

Thanks. They're claiming that it's capable of 50+mph which is nutty. Mine's on 3s with the larger pinion and it's a total handful where it tops out at 42 mph. I'm not sure why it tops out at "only" 42 mph, but that's pretty fast already. Forget about anything more than very slight steering at those speeds.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:01 PM   #2404
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 521BBF View Post
Thanks. They're claiming that it's capable of 50+mph which is nutty. Mine's on 3s with the larger pinion and it's a total handful where it tops out at 42 mph. I'm not sure why it tops out at "only" 42 mph, but that's pretty fast already. Forget about anything more than very slight steering at those speeds.
I've easily broken 50mph on 3S...but, I'm also not running stock electronics. Swapped out the stock for a Castle Mamba X, and Tekin ROC412 HD 3100Kv. Can't remember all the 'high' 3S speeds I've hit, but I do remember, in my initial testing, I hit 54mph. Although, I should also mention that I haven't completely finished rebuilding the BR. I recently increased the diff fluid weights in all three diffs, plus some reprogramming on the ESC...but haven't put everything back together (which will include new/different tires & wheels) for further testing.

Old 05-07-2021, 04:22 PM   #2405
Rock Stacker

Well, I got a proper GPS for the Rey, went to a huge parking lot, and was only able to hit 43.6 mph. That was on a 3s 75C SMC battery and the stock, larger pinion which I believe is 13T. I'm kind of bummed that it won't hit the advertised speeds, especially because I have slightly taller tires than stock. Could my slightly heavier Axial Yeti Score wheels be slowing it down that much?
Old 05-12-2021, 08:44 AM   #2406
Rock Stacker

What wheel and tire combos fit the Raptor body with no rubbing at full suspension compression besides the stock setup? It looks like the Losi Tenacity DB wheel/tire combo fits up in the body perfectly. Any others? I'm not interested in aluminum wheels.

This vid shows this wheel and tire combo:
https://youtu.be/YY4AMSnzkx0?t=112
Old 05-12-2021, 10:55 AM   #2407
Quarry Creeper

Talking Re: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

Quote:
What wheel and tire combos fit the Raptor body with no rubbing at full suspension compression besides the stock setup? It looks like the Losi Tenacity DB wheel/tire combo fits up in the body perfectly. Any others? I'm not interested in aluminum wheels.

i have a set of proline f11 beadlocks from my slash that fit slightly too far out ... from the looks of it ... the proline protrack beadlocks in f11 wheels will fit perfectly without rubbing ... i wish i knew this before so i should have picked up the split six for the slash and then i could have gotten f11 protrack for the baja, so that way i could have different style wheels. oh BTW the tires i run are the proline bfg and they are great ... look scale and perform great too.

Last edited by Speedy-Triple; 05-12-2021 at 11:04 AM.
Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:07 AM   #2408

Quote:

None so far. even the stock ones rub slightly. Every tire is a little fatter. I could not find replacement wheels/tires at one point because my tires were so full of sand. I ended up getting the F11 proline beadlocks and i found some stock tires on ebay. I had to cut the outside ribbing for them to fit, but they unbeaded on the inside every two or three runs. I ended up gluing the inside bead and that worked perfect.

I finally found some stock wheel and tire combo on ebay so I got them and sealed the vent holes. Keeps the tires from ballooning and rubbing.

Even your posted video, that combo rubs when on his bench. imagine when it is running
PrpleNrpleV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:16 PM   #2409
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrpleNrpleV2 View Post
None so far. even the stock ones rub slightly. Every tire is a little fatter. I could not find replacement wheels/tires at one point because my tires were so full of sand. I ended up getting the F11 proline beadlocks and i found some stock tires on ebay. I had to cut the outside ribbing for them to fit, but they unbeaded on the inside every two or three runs. I ended up gluing the inside bead and that worked perfect.

I finally found some stock wheel and tire combo on ebay so I got them and sealed the vent holes. Keeps the tires from ballooning and rubbing.

Even your posted video, that combo rubs when on his bench. imagine when it is running

You are correct in that even the stock setup rubs. I'm fine with that since it doesn't rub very badly. I just don't want something that makes the track width any wider because that makes things exponentially worse because the tire then contacts the fender lip which limits suspension travel.

I guess I should have clarified that I'm interested in wheel/tire combos that fit exactly like stock. The setup in the video does appear to fit exactly like stock (from what I can tell in a video). Any others?

Which exact F11s did you try? It looks like they offer a few different offsets.

Last edited by 521BBF; 05-13-2021 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:12 AM   #2410

Quote:
You are correct in that even the stock setup rubs. I'm fine with that since it doesn't rub very badly. I just don't want something that makes the track width any wider because that makes things exponentially worse because the tire then contacts the fender lip which limits suspension travel.

I guess I should have clarified that I'm interested in wheel/tire combos that fit exactly like stock. The setup in the video does appear to fit exactly like stock (from what I can tell in a video). Any others?

Which exact F11s did you try? It looks like they offer a few different offsets.
The pro-trac zero offset wheels.

If you look at the comment section on the video, I asked him if they rub and he says they still do.
PrpleNrpleV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:40 AM   #2411
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrpleNrpleV2 View Post
The pro-trac zero offset wheels.

If you look at the comment section on the video, I asked him if they rub and he says they still do.
Unless you jack the suspension way up with a LOT of preload, almost any tire will rub against the body. There is a simple, fairly inexpensive, solution to preventing this - aluminum tape (designed for HVAC systems), which is available at any Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, etc.

The bottom side has adhesive. Simply cut pieces to match the top of the fenders, making them wide enough to curve slightly downward at the outer edges of the fenders. Then, peal away the paper, and stick it in place, rubbing it 'flat' into the curves. Now, when the suspension compresses, and the tires 'rub', instead of rubbing against the body, destroying your wonderful paint jobs (or the factory body's paint), the tires will rub against the aluminum tape.
The rest of what you see is "body reinforcement" - drywall tape placed in areas expected to see "extreme duress", which are then 'sealed' into place using Shoe GOO, or E6000.

Old 06-25-2021, 09:49 AM   #2412

Hi guys I am back after 4 years, my Baja Rey is going strong after getting back into it. The suspension is a bit messed up but still having fun bashing. One preload collar on the rear has gotten stuck - if I try adjust it it will unscrew the cap opening to the fluids.

I'm looking to upgrade stuff still, it's already pretty much sorted for 3S, I only have ran it 3S so I was used to breaking it.

I'm sort of confused on the new 'SSD Aluminum M5 Wheel Hubs 4 pcs Black For Axial Ryft Losi Baja Rey.' Will these alone allow easy compatibility with SLW hub wheels? Because changing the wheels and tyres is on my to-do list.

Also, thinking about changing the shocks, or at least in the rear. Would these fit? Is there any guides to what shocks will fit front / rear on the Baja Rey? (https://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-a...110bk-00102258).

Glad to be back in the hobby, hopefully someone could help me out so I can get back to draining my bank account in the name of RC!
Reyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 10:19 AM   #2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyracer View Post
Hi guys I am back after 4 years, my Baja Rey is going strong after getting back into it. The suspension is a bit messed up but still having fun bashing. One preload collar on the rear has gotten stuck - if I try adjust it it will unscrew the cap opening to the fluids.

I'm looking to upgrade stuff still, it's already pretty much sorted for 3S, I only have ran it 3S so I was used to breaking it.

I'm sort of confused on the new 'SSD Aluminum M5 Wheel Hubs 4 pcs Black For Axial Ryft Losi Baja Rey.' Will these alone allow easy compatibility with SLW hub wheels? Because changing the wheels and tyres is on my to-do list.

Also, thinking about changing the shocks, or at least in the rear. Would these fit? Is there any guides to what shocks will fit front / rear on the Baja Rey? (https://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-a...110bk-00102258).

Glad to be back in the hobby, hopefully someone could help me out so I can get back to draining my bank account in the name of RC!
Is this thread still active? If so has anyone figured out how to reduce the rear end donkey kick?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
drust1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 10:28 AM   #2414
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by drust1991 View Post
Is this thread still active? If so has anyone figured out how to reduce the rear end donkey kick?

Have you tried installing a rear sway bar? Additionally, playing around with shock oil & spring rates helps. As many of us have also done, you could install a second rear shock, no spring, for additional rear dampening.

Old 09-13-2021, 05:37 PM   #2415
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drust1991 View Post

I run a couple of ounces of ballast in the tank, 45 (or 47.5?) weight oil, minimal preload on the rear shocks, a buttload of preload on the front shocks, but most importantly.... you need to be heavy on the throttle when leaving a jump face, even if only for the last truck length. Sometimes that means I have to brake into a jump and then nail the throttle, but steady throttle, coasting, or braking into a jump face is a sure fire way to make it front flip.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:38 AM   #2416

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I run a couple of ounces of ballast in the tank, 45 (or 47.5?) weight oil, minimal preload on the rear shocks, a buttload of preload on the front shocks, but most importantly.... you need to be heavy on the throttle when leaving a jump face, even if only for the last truck length. Sometimes that means I have to brake into a jump and then nail the throttle, but steady throttle, coasting, or braking into a jump face is a sure fire way to make it front flip.
I have done most of your suggestions, 15w in front with alot of preload, 40w in rear with no preload and still gets a fair amount of kick. At least now I'm not nose diving. I have a pair of desert lizard shocks I'm going to try, maybe with soft springs under the pistons. Just having a hard and fun time dialing this beast in. Solid rear axel is throwing me a curve ball. I'm used to indy rear suspension, I was partially sponsored by Losi back during the JRX2 days and those were relatively easy to set up. Thanks guys for the suggestions, I'll check back later.

drust1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:32 AM   #2417
I wanna be Dave

I dusted mine off and got her dirty again...

lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:42 AM   #2418

What body is that on the right? Im looking at doing a bj baldwin loki replica and need a blazer body
Senditdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 11:00 PM   #2419
I wanna be Dave

After not working on my Baja Rey for 8 months, I decided it was time to finish it. I received the custom-painted body (done by Chris at RC Bombshells, Las Vegas) over 10 months ago, and the Cerakote-covered cage (done by Robert (the owner) at RC Finishing, San Jose) approx 8 months ago...and everything has just been sitting there.

Part of it was because the ESC needed to be replaced, part of it was because I've been quite busy (with work, and with other RCs), and part of it is because I was just being lazy (regarding this, specific, RC). Anyway, I decided that today was "the day"...so, I "buckled down", and worked on it for more than half the day. I still need to reinforce 3 of the fenders, and tighten some screws holding the front lightbar...but, other then that, she's finally finished.
Under the body panels, this is what the cage looks like.

Old 12-26-2021, 06:32 PM   #2420
I wanna be Dave

I stripped mine down to the bare cage today. Some aluminum panels will be made and she is going to run as a class 1 buggy

lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunder Tiger Jackal 1/10th 4wd Desert Buggy RichMTB01 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 01-19-2016 12:36 AM
Vaterra 1/10 Twin Hammers DT 1.9 4WD Desert Truck RTR spectre Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 10-01-2015 07:54 AM
HPI Mini Trophy 1/12 Scale 4WD Desert Truck constantmotion Non Crawler RC's 31 08-01-2010 09:56 PM