Notices

Thread: Cat's Rock Rey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2019, 07:06 PM   #41
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Cat's Rock Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
I can’t give you pics but its fairly straightforward. You pull the trans and separate the halves. The center diff lives in there and has a gear with 4 small phillips screws holding it to the carrier. Pull that off and inside is a set of spider gears. Yank those out and you will see that the “+” shaped locker you bought should just slide right in. The carrier is already slotted to fit it. Then just reassemble.

Ok so got this far. Just don’t know how to get the last part of the gear out of there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OpisOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2019, 09:19 PM   #42
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpisOpus View Post
I’m new to the whole crawler scene, but I’ve been building up my rock Rey. Are there any tutorials out there for locking the center diff or would you happen to have pics of in progress when you did it? I have the part, but not real sure where to start.

Its been awhile since I locked the center diff so I do forget how I did it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Quote:
Your RR is really nice btw. Good work.

Thanks for the compliment, be sure to start a thread on your build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
Why are you using limiting straps? Are you popping U joints?
Honestly, they are just for looks.
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Ok so got this far. Just don’t know how to get the last part of the gear out of there

So get that gear out(just tap the housing on the table) and you will see there is a pin through the output yoke inside the housing. That should fit into a relief in the center of the + shaped locker.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:49 PM   #44
Pebble Pounder

Alright so I needed to post an update. I got the limiting straps mounted on all 4 corners. I ended up using KNK 100MM straps and they work perfectly, again mainly for looks. I was also able to sort out mounts for my recovery boards and finally mounted my homemade whip antenna.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:39 PM   #45

Just read through your thread! Nice little rig! I picked mine up the 4th of July and took it apart yesterday. Have new bell crank, tie rods, camber links, camber mount, spindles, knuckles, servo, servo bracket and bearing set all coming in as well as a center locker! I went with the same steering servo, being waterproof it probably is a good safe bet!

Most of the parts I ordered are hot racing or Losi. Spindles, knuckles, and servo mount are all Losi, rest is hot racing. She’ll be pretty beefy up front that’s for sure!

Oddly enough, the first and only part to break so far was the driver side c-hub! Must have been the 5 foot drops on some jumps and bumping around lol!
ProfBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:17 AM   #46
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfBrown View Post
Just read through your thread! Nice little rig! I picked mine up the 4th of July and took it apart yesterday. Have new bell crank, tie rods, camber links, camber mount, spindles, knuckles, servo, servo bracket and bearing set all coming in as well as a center locker! I went with the same steering servo, being waterproof it probably is a good safe bet!

Most of the parts I ordered are hot racing or Losi. Spindles, knuckles, and servo mount are all Losi, rest is hot racing. She’ll be pretty beefy up front that’s for sure!

Oddly enough, the first and only part to break so far was the driver side c-hub! Must have been the 5 foot drops on some jumps and bumping around lol!
Thanks, little isn't the word id use for the rig. especially considering it is really 1/8 scale. I actually changed out the waterproof savox for a savox 1230sg monster torque servo. Was having problems turning the wheels in crawling situations. Best of luck with yours!
Old 07-12-2019, 09:48 AM   #47

Lol you're right, far from small to be honest. I'm just waiting on the Losi servo mount and spindle/c-hub set up to get delivered before I put it back together. I should probably start my own build thread lol.

You had yours for quite some time it seems before you started having issues. I hope this serves me well, worst case I'll upgrade when needed!

Was able to get the center diff locked past night and the motor back in as well as the dog bone and the front bulkhead.
ProfBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:22 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat ZRT View Post
Thanks, little isn't the word id use for the rig. especially considering it is really 1/8 scale. I actually changed out the waterproof savox for a savox 1230sg monster torque servo. Was having problems turning the wheels in crawling situations. Best of luck with yours!

Mine does not like to turn the wheels either even with a 32 kg servo. Almost seems like the links like to bow.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:23 AM   #49

Cat I took your advice and got a kit, maiden voyage was a little rough. Snapped a front slider after barrelling through a rock pile of granite and got caught. Run a castle sct 2400kv 550 can system, a pro tek 370 bl with a locked center.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
retiredonut809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:51 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredonut809 View Post
Cat I took your advice and got a kit, maiden voyage was a little rough. Snapped a front slider after barrelling through a rock pile of granite and got caught. Run a castle sct 2400kv 550 can system, a pro tek 370 bl with a locked center.
That looks fun with the mud tires!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:32 AM   #51

It was fun Jato, for about 15 minutes then the slider snapped lol. Anyone ever tried to mate a stub shaft up to a Ottsix Hero shaft? Since they come in different lengths and a 5mm output maybe someone can get something like that to work with the u joint on the stub shaft side. I emailed Ottsix to see if they had access to a rock rey stub shaft to try, seems like all of the other weak links are being addressed with exotech.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
retiredonut809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:27 PM   #52

Looks great just picked one up not sure what my upgrades will be. Park
Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:25 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

How did you mount your winch in it? I have a winch and controller sitting around that i want to put in mine.
minicrawlerguy530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:32 AM   #54
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicrawlerguy530 View Post
How did you mount your winch in it? I have a winch and controller sitting around that i want to put in mine.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. The winch is pretty much stuffed between the front cage and the bumper support. I kept the winch on the stock mounting plate. I then made a second plate and some spacers to sandwich the bumper support. Since these pictures I changed the winch to the 1/8 RC4WD one. Bit tighter of a fit but looks much more scale.

Cat's Rock Rey - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti vs Rock Rey Rybroca Non Crawler RC's 121 04-19-2017 05:18 PM
Yeti or Rock Rey hozzerr1 Axial Yeti 43 04-15-2017 07:32 PM
Losi Rock Rey tjohanne Non Crawler RC's 36 04-06-2017 06:30 AM
Losi Baja Rey and Rock Rey Aluminum Hop-ups - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 4 03-22-2017 04:30 PM
Losi Rock Rey 4WD Rock Racer Open for Pre-Order RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 01-04-2017 06:18 PM