Notices

Thread: Cat's Rock Rey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2017, 07:36 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Cat's Rock Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
I ended up ordering some CI DW tall foams. But Id still like to know how tall and how they fit, for future projects (if its not to much trouble).
I measured that there is approximately 1/4 inch of space between the tires and foams all the way around, I guess for some that is too much. For what I am doing it seems to be about perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
Updates? More running vids?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kadZ...bsz4xvrmtxlrek

I had some clips from the other weekend and decided to put them together. Again, excuse the clicking sound from the controller!

I am trying to get the HeyOk KOH light controller to work good but its stumping me so I have contacted Al. Seems that once I hit brake or reverse the brake lights turn off instantly, when I try to give it throttle they don't go out until about 1/3 throttle. I've tried switching radio systems, radios, receivers, re-calibrating the receiver and esc. I'm a bit stumped. Ironically my maddogrc KOH light bar for my wraith works fine on the Rey. May have to switch to their controller.

I am also ordering some bad horsie diff locking grease this week, I'll update on that once I give it a try.

My other upgrades are working great! Love my ESC and Motor combo. I may put in the 1230SG savox in the future but for right now my 1210SG waterproof is doing OK. As a side note I did get the SSD 3rd member, bearings were a tough fit but it was a very nice piece.

Thanks!
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2017, 08:24 AM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Update: 04/16

Went for a tail run at saint petes again and man this thing can crawl. The lower center of gravity provided by the aluminum chassis, low battery, and low motor makes this thing really stable. Even in situations where high centering becoming an issue all I need to do is blip the throttle a bit.

I did have a few issues though:
1. The stock plastic bell crank and servo saver are flexing way to much. Thankfully I found Amain hobbies had a few left in stock so I ordered the aluminum losi set (everyone else is out of stock till June ).

2. I also noticed that I stripped the hex on my pro-line denail wheels already . I have SSD 10 hole wheels on my parts shelf, I just need some capability rings and hubs to get the prolines on then back on the truck.

3. Finally I lost my lower king pin in the spindles, as with a lot of RC parts right now that is back ordered until May-June. For that I am ordering some blank steel dowels from McMaster Carr. I will drill a hole then tap it to accept a longer set screw into the dowel to prevent lost ones in the future (add some lock tite as well). The stock Losi uses a pin with a valley machined into it, then the set screw just fits in that valley to prevent it from falling out. Problem is the valley is so small that if the screw backs out just a fraction it falls out. My solution, if it works, will have the set screw thread all the way through the pin, adding to the lock tite it should not back out in the future.

If it works out I may think about making replacement kits for others, if not I will at-least post the materials I used to make them.

Also got a bunch of clips I will edit into a video this week, showing off some of the obstacles the Rock Rey dominated. I'm finding this thing is actually more capable than my wraith (that may just mean my wraith is terrible too!).
Old 04-16-2017, 08:27 AM   #23

I would suggest checking out jec racing on Facebook he's got asking opponents I got them on four of my rigs

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Bluestreak85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:04 AM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak85 View Post
I would suggest checking out jec racing on Facebook he's got asking opponents I got them on four of my rigs

I have seen he has been making a lot of nice parts for the Rock Rey, I will have to definitely keep him in mind down the road. At least for the king pins I would like to try my hand at making them. Gotta justify my drill press some how!
Old 04-16-2017, 09:11 AM   #25

He is a machinist.talk to him he might have a plan for That.

Bluestreak85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:16 AM   #26
Pebble Pounder

So it has been a few months since my last updated. Truck has been through a lot of changes since my last update. Truck has been reliable but I still worry about the poor parts support from Losi, which I feel is what is killing the popularity of this truck. Trying to stock up on parts when available, want to get 2 spares of the pinions/diffs. Really hoping someone makes a aluminum front diff soon, I'm really tired of it flexing and causing the ring and pinion to skip.

Updates since my last post.
1. Aluminum Panels
2. SSD Assassin Wheels
3. Hot Racing aluminum A-arms, knuckles, spindles
4. Boom Racing link set
5. Custom winch mounting for RC4WD Winch with Locked-up RC motor and line.
6. Number Panels
7. Sealed bearing for Team Brood Racing motor, re-coated the sensor board with con-formal waterproofing while I was in it.
8. Front light bar.

Let me know what you guys think. Tomorrow I am planning a quick shakedown run Saturday with a group trail run Sunday with this beast.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2018, 06:59 AM   #27
Rock Stacker

So now that you’ve had it awhile how do you feel about trailing with the rock Rey? Any changes to the locked front end? I’m trying to justify getting one and using it as my crawler/Basher/trail truck and live in South Georgia so most of my trails consist of tree roots, mud...and lots bugs. I have a smt10 I fixed up for trailing like a mega truck and a wraith cage along with a modded out twin hammers with xo shafts and b5 arms and a stock ascender. I love my hammers and on the tail it is by far the most capable but I fear breakage if I put too much power in it. So I guess my real question is would you pick up the rock Rey when you head out to wheel or a wraith with mods?
snowman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:56 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman13 View Post
So now that you’ve had it awhile how do you feel about trailing with the rock Rey? Any changes to the locked front end? I’m trying to justify getting one and using it as my crawler/Basher/trail truck and live in South Georgia so most of my trails consist of tree roots, mud...and lots bugs. I have a smt10 I fixed up for trailing like a mega truck and a wraith cage along with a modded out twin hammers with xo shafts and b5 arms and a stock ascender. I love my hammers and on the tail it is by far the most capable but I fear breakage if I put too much power in it. So I guess my real question is would you pick up the rock Rey when you head out to wheel or a wraith with mods?
Honestly I like my Rock Rey better than my modded wraith. The only thing that hampers it sometimes is the clearance but honestly any time where I have run into that issue I have been able to blip the throttle to over come. Not to mention the COG due to the design is awesome for off camber and side hilling situations. If I had to pick between my wraith and rock rey, I would have to go with the rock rey. My suggestion would be to pick up the kit though so that you can put in your own electronics. You will definitely want a sensored brushless system. Also there are some "must have" upgrades IMO.

1. Either a aftermarket metal third member for the back axles or a aftermarket aluminum axle.

2. Locking the center diff with a Twin Hammers Locker. I did not lock the front, just put in some locking putty. I wanted some give if I was to get into a jam.

3. Front aluminum diff case

4. Boom Racing link set

5. Aluminum bellcrank/steering setup. This helps to eliminate the plastic "give" that occurs when trying to steer against an obstacle.

Any other questions let me know!
Old 02-25-2018, 05:55 PM   #29

I agree with Arctic Car, my RR easily outperforms my Wraith. The COG is much lower and the large wheels does assist with the obstacles. The stock RR motor is horrible at low speeds, consistently cogs. I swapped out the motor, without any luck. I did place the stock motor in another vehicle with a different ESC and it doesn't cog, it's actually pretty smooth at low speeds. In the end, it must be the ESC that cogs. I'm also looking going with a Mamba Max Pro SCT in the future. First, I have to deal with my blown front gears.
Asjackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #30
Rock Stacker

Great info guys... anyone know someone looking for a new wraith cage with new bomber trans and skid and ar60 axles that’s what I was thinking just haven’t seen one in person. Where I live my terrain is swamps, tree roots, and a few select hill climbs. It may sound crazy but was really thinking of some fling king tires on one, be like a giant Polaris!
snowman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asjackman View Post
I agree with Arctic Car, my RR easily outperforms my Wraith. The COG is much lower and the large wheels does assist with the obstacles. The stock RR motor is horrible at low speeds, consistently cogs. I swapped out the motor, without any luck. I did place the stock motor in another vehicle with a different ESC and it doesn't cog, it's actually pretty smooth at low speeds. In the end, it must be the ESC that cogs. I'm also looking going with a Mamba Max Pro SCT in the future. First, I have to deal with my blown front gears.
What ESC were you using when you found that the stock motor was running pretty smooth?
Famof5Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:14 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famof5Jeep View Post
What ESC were you using when you found that the stock motor was running pretty smooth?
An 80amp GoolRC from Ebay!
Asjackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #33

Looks great! I'm inspired to get a rock racer now! My son currently drives a slash, but we do too much woods running for it to be fun. Thinking a rock rey is in our future
hutchinstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:55 AM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Update to my build!

Biggest change has been the re-arranging of the electronics to accommodate a half interior. Ending up using a 1/8 action figure to complete this as the truck is much closer to 1/8 scale if not bigger. Still have detail work that I want to complete on it as budgets allow. I also ended up re-painting my panels, installing new ditch lights, and replacing the rear light bar. I am planning on ordering new limiting straps for the front and installing some on the rear too.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:22 AM   #35

Looks good! I definitely need some limiting straps especially for the rear where I have the heavy axle all the way out on the trailing arms. Lots of leverage there. I'm not sure if anybody makes the limiting straps that large though so, please, let me know if you find some.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

I’m new to the whole crawler scene, but I’ve been building up my rock Rey. Are there any tutorials out there for locking the center diff or would you happen to have pics of in progress when you did it? I have the part, but not real sure where to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OpisOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #37
Rock Stacker

Your RR is really nice btw. Good work.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpisOpus View Post
I’m new to the whole crawler scene, but I’ve been building up my rock Rey. Are there any tutorials out there for locking the center diff or would you happen to have pics of in progress when you did it? I have the part, but not real sure where to start.

I can’t give you pics but its fairly straightforward. You pull the trans and separate the halves. The center diff lives in there and has a gear with 4 small phillips screws holding it to the carrier. Pull that off and inside is a set of spider gears. Yank those out and you will see that the “+” shaped locker you bought should just slide right in. The carrier is already slotted to fit it. Then just reassemble.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Why are you using limiting straps? Are you popping U joints?
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:35 PM   #40
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
Why are you using limiting straps? Are you popping U joints?

Ok I got it this far. Now how do I get this center piece off and the rest of it apart? I removed the hex screw from the backside, but nothing is budging. Thx for your info though. Have made it further than I did first time I tried

Cat's Rock Rey - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti vs Rock Rey Rybroca Non Crawler RC's 121 04-19-2017 05:18 PM
Yeti or Rock Rey hozzerr1 Axial Yeti 43 04-15-2017 07:32 PM
Losi Rock Rey tjohanne Non Crawler RC's 36 04-06-2017 06:30 AM
Losi Baja Rey and Rock Rey Aluminum Hop-ups - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 4 03-22-2017 04:30 PM
Losi Rock Rey 4WD Rock Racer Open for Pre-Order RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 01-04-2017 06:18 PM