RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Losi Rock Rey (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-rock-rey/)
-   -   Rock Rey Aftermarket Thread (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-rock-rey/584306-rock-rey-aftermarket-thread.html)

84yoda 05-07-2017 02:37 PM

Rock Rey Aftermarket Thread

Post up aftermarket parts for the Losi Rock Rey!

Front Diff
-Hot Racing Twin Hammer aluminum diff cup Link
-Protek 2x8mm high strength 12.9 flat head screws Link
-Twin Hammer front locker (will need dremel work to fit with HR aluminum diff cup) Link
-Twin Hammer diff rebuild (just need the o-ring, stock o-ring will work BUT its a hair oversized) Link
-Xray 5x15x0.3 washers Link
OR
-Sworkz 5x14x0.5 steel washers Link

Center Diff
-Hot Racing Twin Hammer aluminum diff cup
-Protek 2x8mm high strength 12.9 flat head screws
-Twin Hammer front locker (will need dremel work to fit with HR aluminum diff cup)
-Twin Hammer diff rebuild (just need the o-ring, stock o-ring will work BUT its a hair oversized)
-Xray 5x15x0.3 washers
OR
-Sworkz 5x14x0.5 steel washers

Rear Diff
-VP Currie aluminum housing with dual 5x14x5 bearings Black Clear
-SSD aluminum 3rd member with dual 5x13x4 bearings Link
-Hot Racing Twin Hammers aluminum diff cup (will need dremel work to fit stock locker)
-Protek 2x8mm high strength 12.9 flat head screws
-Xray 5x15x0.3 washers
OR
-Sworkz 5x14x0.5 steel washers

Rear driveshaft
MIP:
-Super Shafty exclusive female shaft Link
-MIP male #10135 Link
-MIP #11111 (lip on both yokes will need to be ground down a little) Link
SSD:
-Wraith length (lip on both yokes will need to be ground down a little) Link

Trailing Arms
-JEC Racing: Stainless Steel or 7075 aluminum Facebook

Steering
-Losi aluminum servo mount, bellcrank Link
-Hot Racing aluminum steering rack/caster/knuckles/shafts/a-arms Link

Links
-JEC Racing SS steering/camber Facebook
OR
-VP Ti 55mm + revo and turn out to 72mm overall (camber) Link
-VP Ti 70mm + revo and turn out to 88mm overall (steering) Link
-VP SS rear upper links Link

Shocks
-Front: Proline rear slash 4x4 Link
-Rear: Proline yeti 5" XT Link

Bearings
-Fast Eddy Bearing kit Link

Other
-Proline 6" curved led light bar (stock mounts need to be cut off/ground down smooth, then fits perfect between roof mounts) Link
-TBone Racing accessories Link

I will try to continue updating this post but please feel free to add parts that pop up on the market. "thumbsup"

TheLetterJ 05-08-2017 09:55 AM

Re: Rock Rey Aftermarket Thread

Don't forget the SSD 3rd member: HD Third Member for Rock / Baja Rey (Grey)

84yoda 05-08-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLetterJ (Post 5705165)
Don't forget the SSD 3rd member: HD Third Member for Rock / Baja Rey (Grey)

Good call, I totally forgot about that yesterday. Thanks!

That's the reason this thread was started so everyone can chime in with aftermarket parts. "thumbsup"

Terrible1 05-08-2017 08:30 PM

Yep, that list looks pretty well up to date at the moment! Don't forget about Losi's upgrades as well.

Losi Trailing Arms #LOS334006
Losi Rear Shock Tower Set #LOS334004
Losi Rear Upper Aluminum Links #331004
Losi Rear Link Mount #LOS334002
Losi Rear Upper and Lower Link Mounts #LOS334003

I think that was all of their upgrades not already listed.

84yoda 05-17-2017 10:45 AM

More parts available from Hot Racing.

Aluminum front camber link mount: Link

Aluminum axle rear link mount: Link

CoolRunning 05-17-2017 03:39 PM

Is anyone making a billet front bulkhead/diff housing?

I think this may end up being a important upgrade especially as it's a huge pain to get at!

TheLetterJ 05-17-2017 04:49 PM

Nobody yet. Trust me, I've been asking, but don't let me stop you from hounding manufacturers to make one! That really seems to be the last piece of the puzzle for making the BR/RR bombproof.

CoolRunning 05-17-2017 06:53 PM

100%. A billet bulkhead and the MC or VP rear should make this thing a tank and probably really happy at crazy 3S speeds; probably near bulletproof on 2S with the RR. The centre gearbox could be a candidate after that (as it's very flimsy) though maybe not as no one is so far reporting issues there.

I will definitely buy the front one simply for peace of mind even if I don't get any immediate issues as the time to pull it down and the cost of chewed out gears will quickly pay for it.

84yoda 05-17-2017 08:28 PM

I just hope whoever makes an aluminum front bulkhead, uses bigger bearings (dual 5x13).

CoolRunning 05-17-2017 09:29 PM

Metal Concepts has a rather beefy looking diff housing which I'm interested in long term though its apparently 1/2" shorter width wise than the Losi diff (this probably makes little to no real world difference) and uses Axial HD gears. It's not cheap but it comes with custom HD axles, bearings and HD gears all included.

I wonder how different (strength wise) the HD Axial gears are to the Losi ones?

I also wonder if the diff output fits the Losi driveshaft.

84yoda 05-17-2017 09:52 PM

But why? Just to use axial HD gears? After you install bigger bearings and set the mesh, the gears are fine. Im sure someone will release HD gears if needed. Just pick up a VP housing and be done.

CoolRunning 05-18-2017 05:10 PM

I honestly have no idea as I didn't make it but I figure it's made for a Yeti but tweaked for the Losi's.

From what I saw, all the BR/RR gears are already hardened HD bits and none need replacement. I'm not sure if the Losi's gears are stronger or the Axial are.

The MC axle seems like a reasonable deal with all that stuff and looks seriously beefy and overbuilt.

I'm not personally keen on $140USD VP axle housing at present as there have been repeated reports of bad tolerances and machining issues with their housings and axles and they aren't exactly cheap like Boom or HR which you kind of could forgive for 1/3 the money.

Maybe some owners can chime in and let us know about the MC and VP housings. If VP are back on track then that's great.

I guess one big bonus for the MC housing is that you can get replacement gears and even axles easily. As to whether they hold up, no idea TBBH.

Shoe 05-22-2017 09:21 AM

23T Servo Arms, what options are there.
Shock Springs,what options are there.
Wheels, what options

84yoda 05-22-2017 02:45 PM

Servo horn, I would go with the losi specific one that's aluminum. Its short and guaranteed to fit. And keeps the 4-40 threads too.
Not 100% sure but I think the springs from the losi ten is what fits.
And wheels, basically any 2.2 will work (might need bigger hubs though). Im running vp methods 105s.

docsrcparts 05-26-2017 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84yoda (Post 5710301)
Servo horn, I would go with the losi specific one that's aluminum. Its short and guaranteed to fit. And keeps the 4-40 threads too.
Not 100% sure but I think the springs from the losi ten is what fits.
And wheels, basically any 2.2 will work (might need bigger hubs though). Im running vp methods 105s.

The springs from the scte fit those skinny shocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84yoda 05-29-2017 06:27 PM

Again, I'm not sure if they fit or not but I remember seeing someone mentioning it.

More parts from HR added to there site. hot-racing.com

FuryriderX 06-22-2017 05:17 AM

DRVNPRO make an aluminum brace for the stock plastic rear axle, looks kinda neat.

Losi Baja Rey and Rock Rey Axle Housing Aluminum brace | DRVNPRO

lipfi 06-25-2017 07:33 AM

Boom racing do alu servo horn 7€ and a front upper link mount 11€ and all the links in titanium 50€

84yoda 07-06-2017 05:12 PM

Not an aftermarket part but its an upgrade for the stock plastic shafts. This idea comes from a wraith a long time ago.

Ive seen some people twisting the stock plastic shafts (usually from running a locker), the fix is a grub screw down the middle so the plastic cant collapse then twist.

What you need, M6 x 1.0 tap and M6 12mm long grub screws (4 total). Just tap the male splined shaft and put two 12mm long grub screws in the shaft. The 2nd grub screw, tighten it down against the 1st to lock them in place. Thats it.

I did this to my front shafts. You can do this to the rear driveshaft but you will need another grub screw since its longer.

FuryriderX 07-08-2017 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84yoda (Post 5725320)
I did this to my front shafts. You can do this to the rear driveshaft but you will need another grub screw since its longer.

That is super cool. Might definitely try it.

Hot Racing has some new parts, rear shock tower set and 3rd member.
They are also listing a "shock tower brace" on their website but there's no picture and no availability on eBay that i can see. Would be pretty cool if it was for the front!