Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: What did you do to/with your Rock Rey today?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2017, 10:54 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: What did you do to/with your Rock Rey today?

Hey Terrible1? How do you like those Hyrax tires? Also, any probs mounting the tire to the beadloc? How about fitment of the wheel to the truck? On my Pitbull plastic beadloc I may have to remove the little brake pad thingie.

BTW, the rig looks fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible1 View Post
Finally got around to cutting my body panels. Turned out pretty decent. But I'm super stoked about how they hug the chassis now!

el_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2017, 12:29 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_Fernando View Post
Hey Terrible1? How do you like those Hyrax tires? Also, any probs mounting the tire to the beadloc? How about fitment of the wheel to the truck? On my Pitbull plastic beadloc I may have to remove the little brake pad thingie.

BTW, the rig looks fantastic!
Thanks bud! I've always been a die hard PB fan but I wanted to give the Hyrax a shot after seeing the tread design. They do not disappoint! I had zero issues mounting the tires up to the VP wheels. The other difference with these is, I used the Proline dual stage foams as well vs my usual CI foams. Fitment is perfect with 475 SLW hubs, absolutely no rubbing issues. Today I'm doing some painting with the panels, excited to see how things turn out.
Terrible1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:24 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Broke it , then I fixed it , then I broke it again :( it's now fixed again ,
it did get a damn good thrashing tho not intentionally , cartwheeling down the slope as I cringed squinting ,
Iv recently found a lovely big disused colliery some really cool steep climbs about 25-30 ft and probably 65 degrees at the top I did make it to the top twice but cartwheeled 4/5 times and ended up snapping the plastic rod end on the upper rear link on to the axle and de seated the tires on 2 wheels so fixed it and went back as it was a really nice day here today ,
Took a shovel ( to build some jumps) with me a couple of beers too , bumped into a chap walking his dog and he was admiring my rig and we chatted for a while so I said "you watch this " words I regret now :( I gave it half throttle slowly climbing up the same slope I was now familiar with from previous cartwheeling and reached within 6 inches of the crest feeling quite pleased I gave it full throttle to jump it up and on to the flat ground it hit a small over hang and back flipped sending into the worst cartwheel so far snapped my heim rod end clean off my aluminium trailing arm and snapping the other plastic rod end from the other side that I didn't replace as it was still intact ,
Oh balls oh well it's only 6:00 o'clock I thought back home switch to a spare aluminium trailing I had (thanks to the rc4wd duplicate order button ) with in 35 mins of being back home all fixed and ready to take to the slopes again this time I tried a patch of land advised by the dog walker much closer to the road so no massive hike and it was very impressive lots of little jumps so I hit it with confidence it forward flipped and snapped the other heim rod end on the opposite side now :(((( so back home I went again feeling slightly deflated and contemplating my next move on upgrades , it's clear the weak points are the m3 heim connection , google welding aluminium to stainless and found some stuff called muggy weld super alloy 1 I think this will create a much stronger trailing arm , orrrrrr do I just buy the vanquish yeti trailing arms with captured ball ends ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willyg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Are you running the losi aluminum trailing arms? If so, that's your problem.

VP yeti TA are about half an inch shorter then losi, so its probably best to run stock plastic for now til VP comes out with a losi specific TA. Or you could try JEC aluminum TA which uses revo rod end.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:22 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

I just pulled my front bulkhead out, and wow, a lot of stuff is integrated into it. Going to be hard to copy that in aluminium. I hope someone can do it.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:43 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Are you running the losi aluminum trailing arms? If so, that's your problem.

VP yeti TA are about half an inch shorter then losi, so its probably best to run stock plastic for now til VP comes out with a losi specific TA. Or you could try JEC aluminum TA which uses revo rod end.

Nope these

Old 06-21-2017, 02:48 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Got my bead rims back from the powder coaters today ahhhh relief it all matches now lol

Old 06-25-2017, 07:30 AM   #28

I decided to lock the front diff and during i did that I notice that the head screw from the right front wheel outshaft is cutted so I need one if you know where I will appreciate
Then I open the front diff and what a mess , the screws which keep the diff bell and the pignon are all four cut and the screws scratch the diff house so now I waiting for parts. I think I m gone put hard screws
lipfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:59 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

This was yesterday at my local bash spot -

Going almost full speed and ran passenger side wheel right into a concrete curb. Popped out the caster block and spindle pin completely on both the sides! Not damage to the wheel/tire fortunately. Thinking on getting the alum caster blocks that HR Racing makes or stay plastic. I dunno.

Also, the battery connector got damaged somehow and I think I have to redo the batt connector on the ESC side. THAT damage I have no clue how I got. This is a bit concerning to me because this happened before I ran into the curb and damaged the caster block. Aside from that incident it was a rather tame bash session with little to no jumps or big spills. I hope this is not something I have to be looking out for all the time.
el_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:26 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Crawled like a boss today in the local quarry

Old 07-26-2017, 05:59 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Went out for a little run after the new installation of the 1515 and very happy with it overall , not exceptionally fast but quick enough for me and oodles of torque which is what I wanted but thought I'd do a quick check in the front diff as the Hudy super diff grease is a bit rubbish and wanted to switch it out for the racers edge diff putty and immediately noticed on of my 9:12 protek screws was sheared :((( the others were quite loose even with the sprung shims supplied in the HR diff cups , luckily I have a spare from not switching the centre cup but it's not a good sign , somebody really needs to release a spool for this platform , ah well just have to be super careful

Old 07-26-2017, 10:58 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Did you have to grind the motor plate for the 1515? What pinion are you running?

So one of the protek 12.9 grade screw broke? Where did you put those tiny shims that came with the HR diff cup? I didnt use them.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Did you have to grind the motor plate for the 1515? What pinion are you running?

So one of the protek 12.9 grade screw broke? Where did you put those tiny shims that came with the HR diff cup? I didnt use them.

Yeah quite a bit about 2mm at the deepest point and a screw which stood proud needed to be cleared , using the standard stock pinion 12T but I have got 14T that I could try ,
Also am I right in thinking it will go faster on a bigger cell battery the mamba monster X is good up to 6's Iv only been using a maximum of 3's and can notice a degree of extra power when using the 3 just wondering if it would make a massive difference?

Yup only 1 but all three weren't even tight , I asked HR what they were for and they said they are to prevent them loosening !!! I screwed them
Down under each head as directed and they all came loose !!! So iv binned the replacements and just used new protek's and threadlock , do you know if there are fixed spools for the twin hammers wondering that they might fit ???

Old 07-26-2017, 12:12 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Yes, going up in battery cells will make a big difference in power and speed. Volt up, gear down.

Im glad I didn't use those shims, that's was your problem with them backing out and the one breaking.

What do you mean, fixed spools?
Old 07-26-2017, 04:14 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Ah ok I'll have to get the 10T and some bigger batteries
well my bad then regarding the protek screws backing out hopefully won't happen again ,
The fixed spool thing I was referring to is basically the same as the diff cup but solid one piece so no spider gears inside and the ring gear bolts onto and because it's not hollow like the diff cup it can accommodate a larger bolt I'm sure they have them for the scx10's or some other crawler generic vehicle ???

Old 07-26-2017, 06:12 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Trying to find another one that has the same cup dimensions and bolt pattern will be tuff.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:40 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Pretty dead in here. IN this entire forum as a matter of fact.

So I just bought a RR second hand NIB.
I started with the obvious things, Servo, horn, servo mount, bellcarank, and center diff locker.

I also threw on some new shoes, 2.2 proline TSL's on proline faultline beadlocks.

And Made a spare tire mount.

My intention is to make this as much crawler as I can for my trail trips.
Even if I have to go brushed I suppose.
jhghah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:26 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Today the Rock Rey got a new rear diff cup and upgraded screws from snapped protek screws ,

funny thing when I opened it all I could find was 2 of the 4 snapped screws heads lol so it seems to of been munched by the ring gear with very little damage to anything .

The replacement screws are traxxas 2523 2.5x10mm these just about fit screwed into the plastic cups they did show on the side of the cup but hey there bigger so therefore better .

The weather here is starting to clear up as well so fingers crossed take it for a little crawl tomorrow.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:06 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Found a killer of a place today

Old 04-02-2018, 11:11 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

10 t Pinion
Front diff locking putty (Racers Edge)
Headlight, rocklight, tail light install
CC bec 6v to go with my servo
New drivers head.

I will get pics of the rig at some point.

Only other thing will be a motor if the cog is just too much...we will see.
jhghah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crawler, losi, rey, rock, ultra 4

What did you do to/with your Rock Rey today? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My rock rey. geauxktm, 2.2 Scale Rigs 33 04-27-2018 03:57 AM
VP Currie F9 Axles for Losi Rock Rey and Baja Rey - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 04-27-2017 01:29 PM
Yeti or Rock Rey hozzerr1 Axial Yeti 43 04-15-2017 07:32 PM
Losi Baja Rey and Rock Rey Aluminum Hop-ups - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 4 03-22-2017 04:30 PM
Losi Rock Rey 4WD Rock Racer Open for Pre-Order RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 01-04-2017 06:18 PM