Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Will the Rock Rey crawl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2017, 09:22 AM   #1

Default Will the Rock Rey crawl

What's it take to get the Rock Rey to crawl like a Bomber, is it possible .

Last edited by Shoe; 05-08-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2017, 09:50 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Will the Rock Rey crawl

Like a Bomber? Hmmm... shorter wheelbase (yeti/bomber/rr10 trailing arms?) Locked front and center diffs. Narrower pan (probably the biggest hurdle considering how wide the link spacing is?)

If the goal was simply to not get stuck (easily) locking the front and center diffs would be the first place I'd start. I don't think it would ever be a "good" crawler, or be on par with even a Bomber in that respect, but you could definitely make it crawl. On the flip side, a Bomber won't handle at speed, or take a big jump as well as the RR. So I wouldn't say that one was better or worse, they each have their strong points.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:32 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I've done a fair bit of rock bouncing with my RR and it definitely can haul up a steep rock face with ease even with the open front/centre (probably as good or better than my Bomber when wheelspin comes into it). I've been thinking about locking the front diff but I've read so much about the Yeti eating dogbones and breaking parts when this is done.

The RR looks beefier here but there is always a weak link somewhere.

For the $12 cost in lockers, I think I'll give a locked centre and front a try for the sake of it and hope nothing expensive lets go. I mean it's not a SCT anyway and I'd probably enjoy it more being able to drive around with more freedom and feel less inclined to want to flog it. Hopefully it'll still handle moderate speed small jumps and not snap things.

The long stance definitely helps up and down hills and the wide stance is great for side hilling where the Bomber is terrible but the big pan will get stuck a lot. I think if you had reasonable expectations and kept it on dirt it would be a hoot. That's my theory anyway.

The really big tyres also make a noticeable difference and seem like they are well suited to bouncing (soft foams and sidewalls).
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:28 AM   #4

I am looking for a rig to drive in my backyard . My area is a slope 100'x25', rocks the size of softballs and basketballs . I wish I could post a picture.

Last edited by Shoe; 05-17-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:11 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I have a build thread in the 2.2 section on my rock rey as I use it as a trail/crawling truck. I've had to do a few things to it but quite frankly with its low COG it crawls quite well. I've gone to a waterproof sensored brushless system and high torque servo. I have also locked the center diff and put locking grease in the front diff. Finally I installed better tires for crawling, full details are on my thread. I have a few videos on the thread, once I get some more time I will update it with some things I have done more recently.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/2-2-s...-rock-rey.html

Long story short, after putting some money into it my Rock Rey it can hang along side if not surpass my wraith in most situations. I'm extremely happy with the truck as a trailing/crawling rig.
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:26 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

That's very promising in regards to the Wraith; especially considering that it's only using 3 wheels and not 4.

I'm pretty happy with the stock wheels and tyres thus far as an all round wheel but they won't last forever; I've seen noticeable improvement just filling the front and centre diffs with thick grease so much so that 3 wheels basically run when it's climbing rocks and it starts slipping where before it was sometimes only one.

A sensored brushless setup...hmm...never thought this truck would warrant a sensored setup...might be something to hint at for Christmas!
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:53 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRunning View Post
That's very promising in regards to the Wraith

A sensored brushless setup...hmm...never thought this truck would warrant a sensored setup...might be something to hint at for Christmas!
Or it just means my wraith isn't setup very well! lol

The sensored system gives me the low speed control I was looking for. The stock system cogs pretty good at low RPMs, like most brushless none sensored setups.
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote

Will the Rock Rey crawl - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My rock rey. geauxktm, 2.2 Scale Rigs 33 04-27-2018 03:57 AM
What did you do to/with your Rock Rey today? 84yoda Losi Rock Rey 39 04-02-2018 11:11 AM
VP Currie F9 Axles for Losi Rock Rey and Baja Rey - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 04-27-2017 01:29 PM
Losi Baja Rey and Rock Rey Aluminum Hop-ups - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 4 03-22-2017 04:30 PM
Losi Rock Rey 4WD Rock Racer Open for Pre-Order RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 01-04-2017 06:18 PM