Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Specifics on how RR can be a rock crawler instead of racer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2017, 02:52 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Specifics on how RR can be a rock crawler instead of racer

I understand that the RR is not intended to be a crawler but that is what I need it to be or I'm just going to sell it. The power and inability to not go slow is not applicable for what I drive on. Is there anyone who makes sets of Gears to lower the gearing? I don't really care about speed so could I just throw a brushed Motor Inn and that get me closer to what I'm wanting or will it still be here too high? I couldn't tell much of a difference with the gear change from 12t to 10t. I've been really see potential in this truck if I I'm able to make it into what I am picturing. I would at least try some longer shocks to raise it in the front and with the decrease in power and speed I can pick the front and gave less chance of breaking. I'm fine with a 12mph top speed and really hope i can get some input on specific gearing/ parts that will help me achieve what I'm going for because I can't stand how it hates going slow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
geauxktm, is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2017, 03:18 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Specifics on how RR can be a rock crawler instead of racer

The 1515 mmx sensored system Iv just fitted is pretty awesome , I get close to an hour per 2's battery 4000mah , it will quite happily cruise at walking speed with 12T , even sloth pace is very happy , has ample torque for crawling and 100 % drag break is almost solid on a 50'ish degree maybe even steeper I'll take a spirit level with me next time and check , the rig is 7.5lbs and the motor gets a slight warmth to it nothing to worry about at all it crawled up this rock piece of cake , unfortunately I reduced the drag brake to 40% for a bit of light bashing and didn't remember to take my field link with me to re set it for the crawling so I had to hook the wheels over the stone to get the pick ,but I love this thing now , at one point I'd tell my mrs "going out for a few hours of crawling "and I'd be back with in 20 minutes from something breaking and now she has to text and ask me to come home lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willyg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I think the first thing is 2S. I feel for you blokes as on 2S my RR has taken so much abuse with the only issues being a couple of bearings that were a tiny bit gritty.

Next a sensored brushless system of the same dimensions as the fuze. From memory it's about a 61mm sized can. Put in the biggest ESC you can that still runs 2S; it'll make a difference crawling with high gearing though you'll want to keep and eye on motor temps still.

Then lock the centre and front diffs.

Now if you're not going near water, a big Hobbywing Xerun ESC will be great; get a 140-200 amp one for maximum cooling and one of their motors as they are well regarded but if you want to play with water grab the big Castle X ESCs.

I imagine it'll crawl pretty great at this point though it's not going to have brushed motor levels of super slow crawling potential like say a brushed Bomber with 2 speed and 5.8 tyres. But it'll go fast as well as do an solid job at crawling.

I personally spend far more time crawling and trailing than zooming around so my RR gets far less driving now but if mine crawled great with better foams and a sensored system it would be pretty impressive.

I've even pondered what it would take to shoehorn a Yeti or Bomber gearbox with 2 speed in mine. There's loads of room in the interior and that would make it crawl like a champ IMO and I would remove one weak link in the RR drivetrain. I find it extremely stable on slopes and very capable considering its huge pan.
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:11 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyg1981 View Post
The 1515 mmx sensored system Iv just fitted is pretty awesome , I get close to an hour per 2's battery 4000mah , it will quite happily cruise at walking speed with 12T , even sloth pace is very happy , has ample torque for crawling and 100 % drag break is almost solid on a 50'ish degree maybe even steeper I'll take a spirit level with me next time and check , the rig is 7.5lbs and the motor gets a slight warmth to it nothing to worry about at all it crawled up this rock piece of cake , unfortunately I reduced the drag brake to 40% for a bit of light bashing and didn't remember to take my field link with me to re set it for the crawling so I had to hook the wheels over the stone to get the pick ,but I love this thing now , at one point I'd tell my mrs "going out for a few hours of crawling "and I'd be back with in 20 minutes from something breaking and now she has to text and ask me to come home lol

Yes I've seen it's crawling potential and this is why I'm wanting to try this. I have the big mamba max X and holmes puller pro 3500kv and guess I was wondering if that being a crawler motor would allow it to creep. If I do put that combo in , shoot just realized it's not the right shaft size, I would plan to run it with the throttle percentage down especially if the front is locked. Those 1515 being $99 may be a better option. So I guess there isn't any way to hear down other than the 10t I've already put in there.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:18 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

You can get a 5 mm sleeve if it's shaft is too narrow !

Old 08-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRunning View Post
I think the first thing is 2S. I feel for you blokes as on 2S my RR has taken so much abuse with the only issues being a couple of bearings that were a tiny bit gritty.

Next a sensored brushless system of the same dimensions as the fuze. From memory it's about a 61mm sized can. Put in the biggest ESC you can that still runs 2S; it'll make a difference crawling with high gearing though you'll want to keep and eye on motor temps still.

Then lock the centre and front diffs.

Now if you're not going near water, a big Hobbywing Xerun ESC will be great; get a 140-200 amp one for maximum cooling and one of their motors as they are well regarded but if you want to play with water grab the big Castle X ESCs.

I imagine it'll crawl pretty great at this point though it's not going to have brushed motor levels of super slow crawling potential like say a brushed Bomber with 2 speed and 5.8 tyres. But it'll go fast as well as do an solid job at crawling.

I personally spend far more time crawling and trailing than zooming around so my RR gets far less driving now but if mine crawled great with better foams and a sensored system it would be pretty impressive.

I've even pondered what it would take to shoehorn a Yeti or Bomber gearbox with 2 speed in mine. There's loads of room in the interior and that would make it crawl like a champ IMO and I would remove one weak link in the RR drivetrain. I find it extremely stable on slopes and very capable considering its huge pan.
Luckily I have an extra big mamba max X and guess I need tobdrcide what motor to pair it with. Exactly, compared to anything out there it's very stable and way more predictable while staying planted. I hear ya, I know it could be impressive I just lack the knowledge on how to make this happen

Old 08-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

It's the sensored system which is the key , it gives such a smooth start up I love them

Old 08-07-2017, 07:37 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

That sounds like you already have the platinum level power system. Install and enjoy!!!
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote

Specifics on how RR can be a rock crawler instead of racer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rock Racer or Crawler aceisback Vaterra Twin Hammers 13 03-21-2013 09:18 AM
LOSI Night Crawler - Added to the list of brand specifics knightcrawl Newbie General 1 07-06-2011 09:31 PM
Rock Racer vs Crawler klamp Newbie General 7 06-22-2011 12:37 PM
Rock Racer to Rock Crawler Conversion Orgnoi1 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 03-06-2010 10:07 PM