Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: 10t pinion motor plate issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2017, 02:04 PM   #1

Default 10t pinion motor plate issues

Little back story, I put a Mamba Monster X and Tekin Pro4hd 3,000kv in the Rey, because I wanted sensored and I love Castles aux option. Anyway on 3s with the 12 tooth it was pretty ballistic and wanted to calm it down so I bought a Losi mod1 10t pinion.

I had to enlarge the holes slightly (round file) to just bolt the motor on the plate, nothing major. Put the new pinion on and dropped it in and it felt tight (not a hole lot of room there to test the wiggle). Since it was not adjustable I ran it and man does this thing howl, the mesh is way to tight. I ordered another motor plate to see if it was a fluke or I could slot my old one for fine adjustment to hopefully get a little backlash dialed in if it doesn't help.

Truck is whisper quiet with the 12 in it. The 10T calms it down, but it sounds like a tornado siren and builds heat due to being to tight. Anyone else have any insight?
jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 10t pinion motor plate issues

I did see a tip on the rock rey fb page and he used a 1mm thick washer between the transmission plastic housing and the motor plate to reduce the tight mesh , I gave it a go and sure enough it most definitely works , sounds much smoother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willyg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyg1981 View Post
I did see a tip on the rock rey fb page and he used a 1mm thick washer between the transmission plastic housing and the motor plate to reduce the tight mesh , I gave it a go and sure enough it most definitely works , sounds much smoother

This will obviously produce a slight lip on the chassis plate but nothing to really worry about

willyg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Interesting. Just thought the sound was just a byproduct of the metal Mod gears, but very annoying. Please let us know the result, I may do the same!
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #5

Willyg, thanks for the info, I was already prepared to re-engineer the motor plate.

It does in fact work, I used 3 pinion shims on each screw and instant difference, truck no longer screams and the binding is gone. Funny how quick we overlook the simple fixes. Thanks again!
Old 10-11-2017, 11:41 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I'm curious where the difference is between our Rey's? Up until my last couple packs, I'd been running a Losi 10t pinion since January (several packs a week when not waiting on parts) and had what I would consider good gear mesh, if not a slight bit on the loose side. Being skeptical of the motor mount's presets, I checked the mesh on a 10t, 13t, and 15t, and they were all acceptable. All of the gear noise that I hear is more of a "clackity clack" when going from drive to coast or brake, not the whine of tight gears. Besides the normal rattling of the center dogbone, most of the noise seems to be coming from the trans gear to center diff gear interface, but those gears are showing visible wear now so a looser mesh was to be expected. Sounds just as noisy/normal as any 1/8 e-buggy to me.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #7

After I shimmed the plate mine quieted down quite a bit, to what I would consider normal. Its still not a quiet as the 12 tooth, but that could be because the gears have worn into each other, and since the 10 is fresh the tooth contact is slightly different.

The only other thing is maybe, the Tekin motor is drilled slightly different from the dynamite motor for mounting holes. Which could be the reason why I had to massage the holes a little bit for it to fit, but you would also think that the 12 would be tight then too. Though it did fit into the 12 holes just fine so I don't know. Manufacturing tolerances I guess. Who knows? The new motor plate will be in today so I am going to swap it to see if it was just a fluke.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Mine was the same way installing a 10t pinion with holmes 540XL 3500kv. I had to file the holes bigger and the mesh was soo tight, it would barely roll. I also put some shims between motor mount/plate. Way better now.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote

10t pinion motor plate issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor pinion issues turbotron Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 5 11-15-2017 05:06 PM
Motor Pinion Issues pro mod steve Axial Yeti XL 8 12-01-2016 09:51 PM
Mounting issues between VP top and VP motor plate pmadrid13 Axial XR10 8 07-20-2014 04:21 PM
Holmes Hobbies 10T Puller Motor Issues w/Video sbarnesvta Electronics 6 12-12-2009 03:57 PM
10t pinion redrustbucket Tamiya CR-01 12 03-15-2009 08:45 AM