Notices

Thread: Rock Rey kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2017, 05:11 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Rock Rey kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
I know we can't please everyone but from my end i'm glad we were allowed to produce a kit version for the hobbyists who want one. If this kit does well, it will make it easier to get a Baja Rey kit approved for the future.
This alone is kind of guilt-tripping me into wanting to buy one, despite my Axial Yeti being the one I use the least. I say skip the Baja Rey kit and go straight to a Desert Buggy XL-E kit ;)
tuanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2017, 08:44 AM   #22
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Rich, will we see an aluminum center diff housing? And possibly different gears for it? 3500kv/3s/10t pinion is crazy fast, lol. Would be nice to gear it lower. Thanks.
To be honest nothing is in the works right now. I've just rejoined the Horizon Team a couple months ago and I'm trying to catch up on what has been happening with the Baja and Rock Rey as well as the Ascender line of vehicles.
That being said i'm looking at the issues and as we always do will be trying to improve our products.
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #23
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyg1981 View Post
That's great news about the baja rey possible kit release and thank you for the explanation ,
On a side note ,..It seems your the guy calling the shots so to speak , what's the possibility of an evolution of this platform ? Upgraded helical transmission and maybe even a first and second gear transmission ,
I think this would make a very nice add

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well can't say i'm calling the shots but I can ask those that call the shots for certain items lol.

I'm going to sound like a broken record but we are always trying to improve our products.. Will there be an evolution of the product, yes for sure but not anytime soon. As for a 2 speed, i'm not convinced we need one. For the most part, we have seen that consumers do not take advantage of the 2nd speed. It's seem most users like to power up with 3S and hotter motors for that higher gear. Add in the complexity and additional parts plus the extra channel and the labor to set it up properly and it just drives costs up.

Don't get me wrong, there are users like yourself that would take advantage of this but for the majority of buyers, they will not use it. Its a fine balance when as a product developer i need to justify the costs to the feature set and it's use when approaching this to management.
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:23 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I guess there is only a small percentage that would appreciate a 2 speed but definitely a wider range of gearing ( helical preferably) would be very helpful as 84yoda has previously mentioned , spools also as the design of the diff cup is a bit feeble and I'm sure could be utilised across other platforms such as the ascender and twin hammers which would I'm sure be profitable
Another thing would be a few different bodies as the stock body is cool but doesn't look that scale ,
Maybe a few different cage configurations, I realise this does mean quite a bit of r and d but again would create a more desirable rig for everyone
Thanks rich

willyg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Well can't say i'm calling the shots but I can ask those that call the shots for certain items lol.

I'm going to sound like a broken record but we are always trying to improve our products.. Will there be an evolution of the product, yes for sure but not anytime soon. As for a 2 speed, i'm not convinced we need one. For the most part, we have seen that consumers do not take advantage of the 2nd speed. It's seem most users like to power up with 3S and hotter motors for that higher gear. Add in the complexity and additional parts plus the extra channel and the labor to set it up properly and it just drives costs up.

Don't get me wrong, there are users like yourself that would take advantage of this but for the majority of buyers, they will not use it. Its a fine balance when as a product developer i need to justify the costs to the feature set and it's use when approaching this to management.
I couldn't agree more. 2 speed is a gimmick that should only be on super scale trucks if anything. There's no need for it on a rig like the Ascender.

Hopefully the Ascender 2.0 is in the near future. There's so much competition out there that, without an update, I'm afraid the Ascender will be forgotten. It doesn't need much improvement to be the hands down best, most capable scaler out there. The only major knock on it is torque twist and maybe suspension geometry. Give the same truck new axles and a different skid plate and you have a winner. Please keep the battery tray down low where it should be SORRCA be damned. If SORRCA wants to hold back evolution so be it, but the comp guys can and do easily move the battery to the frame.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:54 AM   #26

I've almost pulled the trigger on a RR several times this year.

Saw the kit release yesterday and put in a order for one. Great that Losi is offering a kit version, building a kit is a big part of the hobby for me.

Good job Losi/Horizon!
Nails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:52 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Hi all,

There was a bit of a mix up with the release. Some of those that saw the early release will know that we had to change a couple things...this was an internal miscommunication so I'll address it here.

The kit does not include a center diff locker.

The actual option parts included are:

- Adjustable Camber and Steering links

- Rear Upper links

- Rear Upper Track Rod mount (on the axle housing)

- Grey Cage work

We did improve the servo arm with the metal inserts we use on our 1/8th scale buggies so this should be a big improvement over the original servo arm. This will also be an eventual running change for all Baja Rey and Rock Rey RTR's. I don't have a specific date as to when you'll see them on the shelf with this update but it will happen.

I know we can't please everyone but from my end i'm glad we were allowed to produce a kit version for the hobbyists who want one. If this kit does well, it will make it easier to get a Baja Rey kit approved for the future.

We're always looking to improve our products so good or bad, I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,

Rich

The other point I wanted to make which I think is very important but forgot to mention previously is the red locktite on all metal to metal connections everybody has broken things initially as always with rc's,
Most people wouldn't think or even cross there minds that you would need a blowtorch to remove a screw ,
this is total overkill and has caused lots of people to actually ruin a lot of screws and have almost driven away from the hobby simply because of this issue ,
My friend is one ,he bought the rock rey and went to work on it , and it's now in bits and he's $ 450 out of pocket
please please please can you use blue locktite instead it's perfectly sufficient or even mention this in the owners manual

Old 11-22-2017, 08:11 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyg1981 View Post
The other point I wanted to make which I think is very important but forgot to mention previously is the red locktite on all metal to metal connections everybody has broken things initially as always with rc's,
Most people wouldn't think or even cross there minds that you would need a blowtorch to remove a screw ,
this is total overkill and has caused lots of people to actually ruin a lot of screws and have almost driven away from the hobby simply because of this issue ,
My friend is one ,he bought the rock rey and went to work on it , and it's now in bits and he's $ 450 out of pocket
please please please can you use blue locktite instead it's perfectly sufficient or even mention this in the owners manual

Can’t agree more on this.

When I built my Twin Hammers kit I used the supplied thread lock... it was baaaaaad :(
IVIaarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:30 AM   #29

How is everyone mounting their ESC to their Rock Rey? I know the rtr esc has mounts and screws to the chassis. But what are guys doing with the kit version and with say a Hobbywing or Tekin esc? Not much surface for double sided tape. Is there a mount to buy?

thanks
KR145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

I just made one out of 1.5mm aluminium sheet and screwed it down to the stock esc mount position some nice sticky double sided foam and bobs your uncle

Old 02-09-2018, 11:53 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

I for one, am just ecstatic that more KITS are coming!!! IMHO the "RTR revolution" might have brought many new people to the Hobby - but it's also taken some of the Hobby out of the Hobby.....

There seems to be a consensus that multi-speed Transmissions are costly and somewhat finicky.
So I agree with your explanation. SOME things CAN be left to the Craftsman or Cottage Industries..... They have to eat too!!

ANY plans in the works for an Ascender K-10 Truggy KIT??
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:04 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanies View Post
This alone is kind of guilt-tripping me into wanting to buy one, despite my Axial Yeti being the one I use the least. I say skip the Baja Rey kit and go straight to a Desert Buggy XL-E kit ;)
Just build yourself a 1/8 buggy... That's all a DBXL is. 30lbs of it

I agree I just saw a rock Rey at the local hobby shop and while I had plans to build a Axial Yeti score that rock Rey really caught my eye. The gray cage actually looks nice Imo it's a nice change of pace from the all-black rigs were so used to from Axial...

I would gladly buy a Baja Rey right now if there was a kit. Just based on the fact that Losi released a kit because they knew we would want to build makes me want to buy it to support them.

RTR booooo
daign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:06 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
To be honest nothing is in the works right now. I've just rejoined the Horizon Team a couple months ago and I'm trying to catch up on what has been happening with the Baja and Rock Rey as well as the Ascender line of vehicles.
That being said i'm looking at the issues and as we always do will be trying to improve our products.
Kits! More kits! And encourage aftermarket companies to support your products by sending them kits!

I would love to support Losi but I've never really been able to because of the RTR Factor and I was too young to afford your early kits in the 90s
daign is offline   Reply With Quote

Rock Rey kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Baja rey front shock tower vs Rock rey jumper Losi Rock Rey 3 02-07-2018 07:21 PM
Making a Rock Rey a rock bouncer CoolRunning Losi Rock Rey 45 07-10-2017 10:11 AM
VP Currie F9 Axles for Losi Rock Rey and Baja Rey - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 04-27-2017 01:29 PM
Losi Baja Rey and Rock Rey Aluminum Hop-ups - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 4 03-22-2017 04:30 PM
Losi Rock Rey 4WD Rock Racer Open for Pre-Order RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 01-04-2017 06:18 PM