Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Lets talk shocks/springs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #1

Default Lets talk shocks/springs

Does anyone know the spring rates for the stock RR shocks? Looking around I am going to home brew me a shock setup with some 8th scale stuff.

Just kicking around some thoughts, Losi 8ight for the front they are around 103mm and have tons of spring tuning options. The rear is where it get go into over kill and maybe even little dumb. Don't know if they will fit, but due to diameter but LST shocks are long enough and will actually require a little limiting at 6 inches. Xmaxx shocks are massive but have a smaller body than the LST, but too long at 7 inches (not what she said..). Redcat ground pounder shocks have a larger diameter than ours too and come in right over 5 inches and have spring options too.

Just kind of brainstorming, would be interested in seeing if anyone has tinkered around with different shock/springs aside from the Proline's. Finding shocks isn't really the problem but finding a shock that has a spring rate light or heavy enough option to fit RR.
jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2017, 01:37 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Lets talk shocks/springs

I haven't got around to it yet but I'm planning on running tekno shocks. 16mm bore and 3 lengths to choose from (front and either first holes or seconds in back). There from an eb48.2 and sc410 iirc. I found someone running these and got some pictures and they just barley fit (rock rey).

I don't think xmaxx or lst will fit though.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:26 AM   #3

ARRMA kreighton (spelling) and the outcast shocks should fit the front and have a nice look/build to them. Also hobby king has turnigy track stars which are actually really nice, I run a set of them on my IFS wraith that are massive compared to stock and (8ight springs fit) they come with a 5lb spring stock. I will look into EB48 shocks tonight.
I ebayed up a set of LST2 takeoffs from ebay last night. If they physically fit diameter wise I will post pictures, it would be cool to run them in a slight droop configuration with a light oil. I think HPI savage stuff will fit the rear, though I don't know of good factory option for them. I wouldn't also mind running dual shocks in the rear with one acting just bypass without a spring. I have that setup on my twin hammers and am pretty happy with the appearance and performance. Or I could just go baller and bling it out with some integy or boom stuff lol.

Since I have changed to solid stage foams, ive found the shocks to be undersized to control all the unsprung mass. The stock foams/tires are so plush they actually do a lot of dampening.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The tekno shocks are 107mm, 122mm and 137mm.

I was thinking about piecing them up but I'm not sure what pistons or springs to start with. And what would be better, run 122mm in first rear holes or 137mm in second rear holes. You can buy the sct410 box stock shocks for a lot cheaper too then decide on pistons and springs from there.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:40 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I just put some 8ight 2.0 shocks on my rock Rey kit. Not a perfect fit but seem to do the job. Got the green springs on right now but they maybe a little stiff in the front.
mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:27 AM   #6

Building Kit shocks.... manual shows long springs on front shocks with the short shafts??? seems backwards
The shock bodies seem thin, can feel the pistons moving through it, and they are tight...Built a lot of shocks and these are marginal at best.
What shocks are guys upgrading to?
KR145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #7

I ended up with LOSI SC10 short course shocks with the MIP emulsion pistons and bladders in them on the front and a proline powerstroke yeti shock on the rear.

I had to clearance the shock tower in the front a small amount to keep it from rubbing the shock caps with the front.

8ight shocks are another good option for the front

My buddy runs Savage shocks in the rear of his, and ground pounder bypass shocks (springless)

Lets talk shocks/springs - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lets talk tires if0rg0t2remember Axial Yeti 55 11-05-2016 09:12 AM
Lets talk efficientcy SoCal Crawlr Axial RR10 Bomber 4 05-13-2016 08:47 AM
lets' talk tires vinnyphx 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 32 04-13-2014 06:31 PM
lets talk setups... firstumustcrawl Axial AX-10 Scorpion 15 04-03-2008 10:07 AM
lets talk about Styrene mudhunter Tools, and Procedures 6 08-23-2007 05:47 PM