Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: ~What are the differences in the Baja & Rock Reys?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #1
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Question ~What are the differences in the Baja & Rock Reys?

besides the obvious body, cage, wheels, and tires.

So far ive been able to spot:

Front upper A arms
Wheelbase (anyone know why?) RR=15", BR=14.6"

what other differences are there?
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: ~What are the differences in the Baja & Rock Reys?

I'm pretty sure the shock towers are different

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
BigBlokBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:11 PM   #3
RCC Addict

...and motors, front axle shafts, ring & pinion ratios, lower arms, knuckles, ummm... I know theres more.

The BR uses a conventional upper/lower arm setup with steering knuckles like you would find on a 1:1 truck, along with steel front axles that have a u-joint at the wheel end and dogbone at the diff end. The knuckles are very tall and require you to run a short course 2.2/3.0 wheel to fit over them, you can run more offset to "fit" a 2.2", but body clearance becomes an issue. 3800kv 4 pole motor and 40/14 r&p.

The RR's front end is more similar to an 1/8 scale buggy, or really most other IFS 4x4 rc's in that the arms (upper is a straight link, not a triangulated a-arm) attach to a castor block/carrier, and the steering knuckle pivots within that. It uses splined plastic slider shafts (think: Traxxas) for front axles as well. Clears 2.2"s. 2800kv 6 pole motor and 42/12 r&p.

There are other differences, but those are most of the big ones. I love my Baja Rey!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #4
~THE SCALE SHOP~

wow great info and catch.

looks like the upper and lower a arms, driveshafts, and knuckles are all different

BR................................................ .................................................. ......RR
Old 01-08-2018, 03:01 PM   #5
~THE SCALE SHOP~

huge thanks for the differnce in ring and pinions in diffs

RR=42/12

BR=40/14

weird part is the RR packages says it can be used for either RR or BR?
Old 01-08-2018, 05:38 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I run RR r&p in my BR, the thought was that the deeper diff gearing wouldn't have the pinion try to walk out sideways as bad. The tiny 10mm pinion bearings and flexible housings are, in my opinion, the single biggest problem with either truck. The RR gears also got a better contact patch. SSD's big bearing aluminum front diff housing and rear 3rd member pretty much made that a non issue, but I've got no reason to change back.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:04 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

My rock rey came as a kit. It came with aluminum headlight buckets. turn buckles, aluminum upper links aluminium link braces. Different options for the shock internals ect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
BigBlokBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #8

Good thread! I've wondered about the differences as well.

I wish the Baja Rey was offered in kit form like the Rock Rey.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #9
~THE SCALE SHOP~

no kidding. that is the WHOLE reason i started this thread. im wanting just the running gear for a custom build.

the Baja has the WB i want. and i also prefer its upper a arms, but its $449 for RTR

the Rock is available as a kit for $299

the odd part is didnt the Baja come out first? yet the Rock got a kit form first.

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 01-09-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:57 PM   #10
~THE SCALE SHOP~

i think ive figured out why there is a .4" difference in wheelbase

The Rock rey appears to have forward sweeping lower A arms (Harley mentions this in his long ass youtube unboxing vid)

and they baja Rey appears to have traditional centered A arms
Old 01-10-2018, 09:10 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post

the odd part is didnt the Baja come out first? yet the Rock got a kit form first.
Honestly I think it has to do with the fact that the Rock Rey has been fairly popular with the U4 crowd who would be more inclined to get a kit version to build how they want for racing. While I have seen guys racing their Baja Reys it hasn't been as prominent. Heck the week the rock rey came out people were racing it at U4 events. Also I see more Rock Rey's with modified electronics than I do the Baja's on Facebook groups (just my observations, might be wrong).
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:18 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

WOW! If old Gil Losi could see his little Company now....
I'm definitely down for a KIT!
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:34 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I know nothing's been posted in here in two years, but I've got a question. A few months ago, I was searching for a Twin Hammers (especially a kit), but all I turned up was a scam by some online Indonesian business. So, I'm abandoning my search for a Twin Hammers, and looking into getting either a Rock Rey, or Bala Rey...but, I'm undecided as to which.

I googled "Losi Rock Rey vs Baja Rey", but the search didn't town up anything useful...actually, other than a single video showing both vehicles being run in a snowy area, the search didn't turn up anything. I realize that both are, essentially, the same vehicle, with some slight differences beyond the bodies. I guess the best other-brand comparison I could would be by Traxxas, where the Slash & Stampede 4x4s are virtually identical, with the Rally & Rustler 4x4s being "kissing cousins" to the first two.

What are the similarities, as well as the differences, between them? What advantages does each have over the other? What reasons would you pick one over the other, and why? If there were online comparisons, I'd be about to do the research, myself...but, I couldn't find any. I can find articles about each, individually, and I can find articles comparing each of them to other vehicles by other manufacturers...but absolutely nothing comparing them to each other.

It is possible that I could decide to not get either...but, if I do decide to get one of them, I'd really like to make a decision sooner, rather than later, and any information current/previous owners can provide would be greatly appreciated. Even better, of there are any who own (or previously owned) both, info from you would be even more appreciated. Thanks, in advance, for whatever hello you can provide.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
I know nothing's been posted in here in two years, but I've got a question. A few months ago, I was searching for a Twin Hammers (especially a kit), but all I turned up was a scam by some online Indonesian business. So, I'm abandoning my search for a Twin Hammers, and looking into getting either a Rock Rey, or Bala Rey...but, I'm undecided as to which.

I googled "Losi Rock Rey vs Baja Rey", but the search didn't town up anything useful...actually, other than a single video showing both vehicles being run in a snowy area, the search didn't turn up anything. I realize that both are, essentially, the same vehicle, with some slight differences beyond the bodies. I guess the best other-brand comparison I could would be by Traxxas, where the Slash & Stampede 4x4s are virtually identical, with the Rally & Rustler 4x4s being "kissing cousins" to the first two.

What are the similarities, as well as the differences, between them? What advantages does each have over the other? What reasons would you pick one over the other, and why? If there were online comparisons, I'd be about to do the research, myself...but, I couldn't find any. I can find articles about each, individually, and I can find articles comparing each of them to other vehicles by other manufacturers...but absolutely nothing comparing them to each other.

It is possible that I could decide to not get either...but, if I do decide to get one of them, I'd really like to make a decision sooner, rather than later, and any information current/previous owners can provide would be greatly appreciated. Even better, of there are any who own (or previously owned) both, info from you would be even more appreciated. Thanks, in advance, for whatever hello you can provide.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

While they share similar parts, one is designed for rock racing and the other for baja racing. These are fairly different areas..... what do you want to do with what you get?
BlackVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:06 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVenom View Post
While they share similar parts, one is designed for rock racing and the other for baja racing. These are fairly different areas..... what do you want to do with what you get?
In short, "go fast in rocky areas". I don't plan on racing it (primarily due to there being no rock/baja racing in the SF Bay Area, at least that I'm aware of), but I also understand the saying "never say never". I've been enjoying off-road racing (1/10 & 1/8 scale buggies, STs, and a SCTL, plus I've started getting into on-road racing.

I started getting into crawlers just under 6 months ago, and just completed my first C3 rig. I'm the best future, I'll be building C1 (TF2), C2 (Trail King Pro), and U4 (Capra-based Alcista chassis) rigs.

Now, I'd like to get something 'in-between', which is where the Twin Hangers would have worked...except it's impossible to find one (especially a kit). Thus, the reason I'm now considering these two Losi vehicles.

Old 03-19-2020, 12:26 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
In short, "go fast in rocky areas". I don't plan on racing it (primarily due to there being no rock/baja racing in the SF Bay Area, at least that I'm aware of), but I also understand the saying "never say never". I've been enjoying off-road racing (1/10 & 1/8 scale buggies, STs, and a SCTL, plus I've started getting into on-road racing.

I started getting into crawlers just under 6 months ago, and just completed my first C3 rig. I'm the best future, I'll be building C1 (TF2), C2 (Trail King Pro), and U4 (Capra-based Alcista chassis) rigs.

Now, I'd like to get something 'in-between', which is where the Twin Hangers would have worked...except it's impossible to find one (especially a kit). Thus, the reason I'm now considering these two Losi vehicles.

I couldn’t tell you the difference between the RR and BR, but here is my take on the RR:

You are probably gunna have to upgrade a good portion of the driveline if you plan on motor upgrades and/or running 3S. Mine blew out the rear diff twice, the front was on its last leg when I went to go lock it.

I have also had to replace quite a few plastic bits that have broken while bashing. All it takes is one tumble and something will probably break.

Steering seems to be a weak point for crawling. I have steel links, Hot Racing steering linkage and all the goodies and still have issues. My servo will move and the tires won’t. No clue where the hell the slack is taken up since almost everything is metal now.

It crawls pretty well when fully locked. Its pretty roll resistant since its so wide and low so it tends to be able to crawl up stuff and side hill better than my TRX4. The downside is that the chassis plate is a bit wide and tends to get hung up on the sides when getting over obstacles. You tend to have to goose the throttle and hop it up and over things.

Bashing is not a strong point I would say. It lacks the front sway bar that the BR comes with so it tends to be pretty loose. It will roll if you dont stay on top of it. That said, the rear sway-bar seems damn stiff to me and hurts flex hugely. Ive really wanted to figure out a way to replace the rear sway with something softer and add a front sway for more stability. Hot Racing does sell a sway bar kit but you have to also use their control arms and I just dont know if I want to invest the $.

The truck is cool, but I think it tries to be a jack of all trades and so it doesn’t do anything particularly well. I’ve put a lot of time into building mine up and just have not been completely satisfied.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:26 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

That's some useful info...thank you. An 'interesting' question just popped into my mind. The RR uses (essentially) stadium truck wheels/tires (ie. 2.2"), while the BR uses SCT wheels/tires (ie. 2.2"/3"). Obviously, the RR could use the BR's 2.2"/3" SCT wheels...but, will the RR's 2.2" wheels (or other 2.2" wheels)fit the BR?

I ask this because of something I had to work through on one of my Rustler 4x4s. For the longest time, I was running 2.2"/3" SCT wheels/tires (the Rusty normally uses 2.8" wheels), but I wanted to convert it to a "true" stadium truck, complete with 2.2" wheels, and the stock C-hubs wouldn't fit. In the end, I discovered that the 4Tec 2.0 C-hubs could be used. If 2.2" wheels will work on the BR, this could help me make a decision.

Last edited by Panther6834; 03-19-2020 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:11 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Read post 3 in this thread.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:28 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
Read post 3 in this thread.
Duh...my bad. Thank you, VERY much Somehow, I missed that part of that posting. Now, knowing that, guys the next question would be, is there a way to convert the front suspension & steering (ie. swap parts) to match the RR's, so as to for 2.2"wheels?

If this is possible (and I believe it should be, as I think I saw a "conversion kit"), does it still maintain the same wheelbase? If the wheelbase is changed, is it increased, or decreased, and by how much?

Old 03-19-2020, 02:38 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Duh...my bad. Thank you, VERY much Somehow, I missed that part of that posting. Now, knowing that, guys the next question would be, is there a way to convert the front suspension & steering (ie. swap parts) to match the RR's, so as to for 2.2"wheels?

If this is possible (and I believe it should be, as I think I saw a "conversion kit"), does it still maintain the same wheelbase? If the wheelbase is changed, is it increased, or decreased, and by how much?

You would have to fully swap all RR parts. The wheelbase would grow.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote

~What are the differences in the Baja & Rock Reys? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting in on the discussions. 4 rock reys deep in this B!! SlomoCrawlz Losi Rock Rey 2 06-30-2017 07:16 PM
Differences btwn Diablo vs. Copperhead vs. Rock Rider shimmy Newbie General 0 04-17-2011 09:47 AM
AX-10 Kit/RTC/ARTR/Rtr Rock Racer/Scorpion differences. Planespotter Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 06-25-2010 11:31 AM
differences between the Rock Buster and Max Climber wvuviv30 Newbie General 3 02-01-2006 04:15 PM