Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: ~TSS~ #TrackRey Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2018, 10:01 AM   #1
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Exclamation ~TSS~ #TrackRey Build

been looking at these for months and finally pulled the trigger.
everything came in on friday, and i spent the whole weekend building and was done by Sunday afternoon. plans are for it to be a track focused build. ie light and low with good handling and steering.

parts ready for the rainy weekend

diff and arms together. SSD bulkhead. didnt want to add the weight, but the strength and big bearings should be worth it.

Rear axle done with SSD 3rd member, ended up tearing the front and rear diffs back down. There gear mesh was way too tight, luckily Losi put shims on both the ring, and pinion gears, that you can move to the other side or remove, this fixes it and made spinning them effortless, vs notchy and hard to turn.

tub started

skipped ahead to the cage, so i could start on the body painting while i finish up assembly. its a little flimsier than id like to see. but can support the entire vehicle weight.

Reverse masked the cowl hood. More work, but easier because of the recess.

front arms, bellcranks, and servo on. i also bought the HR front sway bars to help keep the chassis flat on track, but what they dont tell you is you must use HR lower a arms to use the sway bar kit, the stock arms dont have a bolt point for the sway bars.

starting to look like something. Electronics in, rear axle and arb on, bumper supports.

been years since i hand painted something. Came out looking like a drunk 3 year old did it, but it was relaxing as hell.

cage and front shock tower on. diggin the look

Assembly finished!

thoughts/notes:
axles and trans gears are super beefy
had to mod the battery tray for my race pack (no leads, just 5mm bullets in cases
removing the body mask was as mega pain. never had that happen before.
front 4 hood/body mounts dont line up, 1/8" off
i always wanted to cut off those giant front flares, but they come within 1/4" of the b pillar and shock hood hole, so it would leave the body too flipsy and probly break there.
radiator flip up access to receiver/esc is cool
the precision of both the plastics and body fit were really impressive.

little things that were nice:
precut/drilled body. HUGE time saver
interior came in black ABS, didnt have to paint black
the links and turnbuckles were all pre assembled and right length. driveshafts too.
included light bar. thats kind of a big thing i guess. no one else does that.
also the extra hardware and C clips they include were nice.

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 09-26-2018 at 10:07 AM.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2018, 10:11 AM   #2
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Default Re: ~TSS~ #TrackRey Build

was short lived. found out the BEC in the MMP was bad, so no test drive, had to tear it all down to remove esc to send off to castle.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:00 PM   #3

Nice build.

I've been impressed with mine other than the front slider shafts not being able to take the abuse I put them through with the diffs locked. I posted the pics in the CFOT thread a while back.

I've been trying to figure out how you could unlock the rear and I guess it could be done but you'd have to machine the square end of the axles to accept the pins that would normally attach the spider gear to the outdrive.
Boosted Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:24 AM   #4
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Thanks!
yep thats gonna be tough part.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted Josh View Post
Nice build.

I've been impressed with mine other than the front slider shafts not being able to take the abuse I put them through with the diffs locked. I posted the pics in the CFOT thread a while back.

I've been trying to figure out how you could unlock the rear and I guess it could be done but you'd have to machine the square end of the axles to accept the pins that would normally attach the spider gear to the outdrive.

Try running the front semi locked with the ear plug putty solution. The diff loosens up from full locked once the putty warms up a bit. I posed the materials in my RR thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Famof5Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:21 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Always test electronics before final assembly!

Sick build though man. Stoked to hear the turnbuckles come assembled.
furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:26 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Very nice! Those preform very well on U4 type tracks, great design.
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:58 PM   #8
~THE SCALE SHOP~

forgot to update this. raced it a few times. starting to get it dialed in suspension wise.

but im at a loss for diff oil. i put 7k up front and 5k in the center (match to wha to what i run in my SCT, ie same 6.5lbs 4wd) but of course the rear is locked on the rock rey.
any suggestions on what to run for track racing? the locked rear just wants to instantly pass the front any time you give more than a gently half throttle. and im only running 2S.

i also changed shocks. im running proline prospecs rears up front. the stock prospec springs were too soft. so i ordered the additional proline spring set, they were also all too soft. i didnt realize this at the time but the front addition spring sets are much firmer rate than the rear. ended up putting some springs from a RTR losi that were firmer up front. worked great.
on the rear im running the stock shock in the rear holes top and bottom to limit travel. im also running 1/2" fuel tubing limiters inside the shocks to also limit droop travel. (helps prevent traction/cornering rolls) running stock RR front springs on the rear.

few pics

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 01-04-2019 at 01:14 PM.

~TSS~ #TrackRey Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
~TSS~ Wampa Build STANG KILLA SS Axial Yeti 50 05-07-2015 08:38 AM
TSS Customer G55 Build STANG KILLA SS 1.9 Scale Rigs 33 04-01-2011 08:24 AM
~TSS~ Customer Build: John's G55 STANG KILLA SS 1.9 Scale Rigs 29 03-31-2009 10:11 AM
TSS based FJ40 Build RexRacer19 1.9 Scale Rigs 124 01-05-2009 05:17 PM